• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Reccomendation

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. Who makes The Saint so I know where to look at the store?

Also, what is everyone's view on The Beast Disc?

I love the beast. It's great for undetectable anhyzer throws, and if you need to go straight through a tunnel you just don't throw it as hard and it flips up flat and glides straight out with a little fade at the end. I recommend them if you are throwing backhand. Not sure about forehand.

Usually forehand generates a lot of spin, which requires a more over stable disc to fight turning over and rolling.

Latitude 64 makes the saint. You can look on the marketplace here in the forum. You can buy anything all of us want to sell. This is the best place to buy discs, unless you want something that everyone wants, then it's price can get up there.

Look at www.clearwaterdiscgolfstore.com they had the best customer service I have seen. They will find the color and weight you are looking for while you are still on the line.good luck.

Last edited:
Usually forehand generates a lot of spin, which requires a more over stable disc to fight turning over and rolling.

Latitude 64 makes the saint. You can look on the marketplace here in the forum. You can buy anything all of us want to sell. This is the best place to buy discs, unless you want something that everyone wants, then it's price can get up there.

Look at www.clearwaterdiscgolfstore.com they had the best customer service I have seen. They will find the color and weight you are looking for while you are still on the line.good luck.

Sidearm does not generate a lot of spin. Actually it is exactly the opposite, hence why most people rely on overstable discs. Spin allows discs to remain stable in flight. Overstable discs help make up for the lack of spin, and mask flaws in technique.

I think the OP is looking for advice from people that actually know what they are talking about. If you aren't familiar with the sidearm throwing technique, maybe don't try to give advice.

Just to clarify for a few people. I was being sarcastic about getting an ape. But when you start rolling everything, you will have to start cleaning up your form.

FTFY.
Sounds like OP has a classic case of the OATs. Try to snag some video of you throwing and post it here. Some of the regs will tear it apart and give you some constructive criticism that'll help you improve.
As for disc selection, I am going to assume you have a 150 class DX Leo from a starter pack. Upgrade to a low 170's Pro Leopard, and get a 170ish Champ or Star Teebird as a stable to overstable complement. Learn to throw those straight without finishing to a roll out to 300' or so, then you'll likely have the technique to upgrade to something faster and more OS.

Teebirds are good but maybe i'd say go with a Wraith, Champ, Star or pro plastic. 168-172g Good versatile disc. Eventually they break in nice and fly long and straight predictable fade. They're great for hyzer flips too once your arm get stronger and snap gets better...

if that's to hard for you to throw and it just turns and burns, go with an Eagle, x-mold, in the same weight range. An Eagle will compliment your leo nicely.

Last edited:
So I'm going to jump in and expand upon the answer to your stability question because nobody has answered it as effectively as it was once explained to me yet. An understable disc like the leopard is going to be more prone to pulling left in the high speed portion of the flight when throwing forehand (assuming you're right handed). The advantage of this is that it's easier to keep it in the air longer with less power, however the disc is more touchy and, especially with forehand, if your form is off you're going to turn and burn the disc into the ground. An overstable disc is going to resist turning over so is generally more consistant, however, the disc is effectively trying to get to the ground as fast as possible. The more overstable the disc, the sooner it is going to dive right on you when it starts to slow down. Overstable discs tend to fly shorter than understable unless thrown with considerable snap (which is what produces what many people erroneously label as "power"). Most folks look for the disc with the perfect balance of reliability and ease of use for them, which will change depending on your skill level and the shots you're trying to pull off. For an overstable disc, I'd recommend starting with a fairway speed disc (thinner rim) like the Teebird or Legacy Rival in base plastic (DX for Innova, Excel for Legacy) unless you play heavily wooded courses in which case the higher price plastic may be a good idea. For a Mid, it comes down to either a Z Buzzz or either the DX Roc or the Excel Ghost (the ghost and Roc are essentially identical except for the plastic and company that makes them) depending on your approach to the game. The Buzzz is a little faster and is the most neutral, straight flying disc out there. If you put it on a line, it's very likely to hold that line. The Roc/Ghost are more stable than the buzzz, a little slower, and get better as they get beat up until they become beautiful finesse discs. Either the buzzz or roc/ghost will give you nice straight shots, but it depends on whether you want to get there with power or finesse. Sorry for the novel:)

Hey everybody. I am an intermediate player and am looking to upgrade to a more advanced Distance Driver and Mi-Range Disc. I currently throw the Innova Leopard and Shark and can throw them around three hundred with my forehand. I was looking at Beasts and some others, but am not sure what I should get. I live on the coast where it is windy, so something heavier and very stable would be best. Any suggestions would be great

Thanks!!!!

What type of Leopard? DX, Champion, Pro, Star? The DX is very different disc than the other plastic types. (at least for those of us that max at around 300-325 distance)

The Buzzz is a little faster and is the most neutral, straight flying disc out there.

not trying to start a Buzzz debate, but ever throw an Impact next to a buzzz? I think it's a little straighter and a lil farther than a buzzz because it has more of a fairway driver edge, just as finesse-full as a beat roc gets too, IMHO. it was one of the first discs i owned, actually both a buzz and an impact bought them together. Lately i've just been liking the control of the Impact a little more... hmm either way...

again not tryin gto debate just curious about you thoughts

Last edited:
I think that the best disc to learn sidearm with is a champion sidewinder. it will teach u release angle because of its understability but isn't so understable that u will roll it from a hyzer release. that was my first disc when I was playing only sidearm and I could throw it over 300 on a hyzer flip, so once u learn to control that on all the lines u need u will see the benefits of more stable discs. on a midrange I started with an r-pro roc + and that worked well for a long time as a mid range even as it got understable so I would suggest a base plastic roc for a mid range so u can start with something overstable and work it into an understable disc as ur form improves. also remember palm to the sky on fh :D

Thanks everybody. I really appreciate the help. It's great knowing so many people are willing to help out a new guy.

FTFY.
Sounds like OP has a classic case of the OATs. Try to snag some video of you throwing and post it here. Some of the regs will tear it apart and give you some constructive criticism that'll help you improve.
As for disc selection, I am going to assume you have a 150 class DX Leo from a starter pack. Upgrade to a low 170's Pro Leopard, and get a 170ish Champ or Star Teebird as a stable to overstable complement. Learn to throw those straight without finishing to a roll out to 300' or so, then you'll likely have the technique to upgrade to something faster and more OS.

Thanks. :)

I would suggest a Legacy Pinnacle Rival (one of my favs; a Teebird should work just as well), or a Lat64 Opto Saint (as many have said).

Slightly more stability than the those? Try a DD Lucid Escape
Easier to find Rival? Innova Champ Teebird
More OS? Lat64 Saint Pro (Gold Line or Opto)
Even more OS? Innova Champ Banshee, Lat64 Opto XXX, MVP Neutron Resistor, Innova Firebird
Even more OS and longer? Innova Star Max

The Beast was the first driver I started throwing and I threw everything FH at the time. It worked great out to 325'-ish, but I admittedly had bad form as well.

For mids, I'd suggest a Legacy Pinnacle Ghost, Innova KCPro Roc, Innova Champ or Star Gator

Another last minute suggestion: Legacy's Patriot is slightly more stable than a Leopard IMO and bit longer. Maybe if you can find one in Pinnacle plastic (clearish like Innova's Champion plastic).

Also, check this out

Get a Teebird (or Rival) and a Saint (or Escape or Valkyrie). The Teebird is great because it has lots of high speed stability (hss) when new so it is very resistant to wind and won't turn over on you. The Saint is great because it is controllable and gets a surprising amount of distance for being a speed 9 driver. Those two discs can take you a long way.

Latest posts