• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Reccomendation

Get a Teebird. It's a great disc in the proper speed range for your experience level. It will stay in the bag until you lose it. It's easy to trade in the unlikely event that you don't like it (but I don't know anyone that doesn't like the Teebird). The Teebird fights wind well and will finish either straighter or fade out right (rhfh) for you.

Faster discs are harder to control and frankly harder to throw far if you don't put a lot of spin on the disc when you throw. Whoever told you to stay away from really fast discs is wise. You would be wise to follow their advise.

Overstable - fades earlier and fights wind better.
Stable - straight flier when thrown at the speed the disc is rated for. Good thrown flat in crosswinds.
Understable - fades really late if at all. will turn more early in the flight. better when thrown with the wind.

Speed. Faster discs are easier to "get up to speed" against the wind. They generally act like slower, overstable discs when not thrown at their rated speed. The biggest difference is they'll generally have less glide than the slower discs do (when thrown slower than they're designed to be thrown).

Slower discs will maintain flight longer than faster discs when thrown with the wind. That's because it takes less relative air speed for them to stay aloft.

Get a Teebird. You won't regret it.

Get a Teebird. It's a great disc in the proper speed range for your experience level. It will stay in the bag until you lose it. It's easy to trade in the unlikely event that you don't like it (but I don't know anyone that doesn't like the Teebird). The Teebird fights wind well and will finish either straighter or fade out right (rhfh) for you.

Faster discs are harder to control and frankly harder to throw far if you don't put a lot of spin on the disc when you throw. Whoever told you to stay away from really fast discs is wise. You would be wise to follow their advise.

Overstable - fades earlier and fights wind better.
Stable - straight flier when thrown at the speed the disc is rated for. Good thrown flat in crosswinds.
Understable - fades really late if at all. will turn more early in the flight. better when thrown with the wind.

Speed. Faster discs are easier to "get up to speed" against the wind. They generally act like slower, overstable discs when not thrown at their rated speed. The biggest difference is they'll generally have less glide than the slower discs do (when thrown slower than they're designed to be thrown).

Slower discs will maintain flight longer than faster discs when thrown with the wind. That's because it takes less relative air speed for them to stay aloft.

Get a Teebird. You won't regret it.

Who makes The Tenured? I really appreciate the advice. I purchased a Beast and Wraith today to work on. But I may look at The Teebird closely.

I learned to play in Bowling Green Oh (aka Blowing Green) and our course was surrounded by farm fields and I-75, so I feel your pain about throwing in the wind. For me the most versatile disc in all situations was Innova's Eagle. It's similar to the Teebird but has a little more turn early in flight and comes back the opposite way harder at the end. Another good choice would be the Discraft Avenger or Mantis. Guys here will steer you to all sorts of boutique brands like Lat64, DD, MVP etc and they all make great discs. The only issue is that they can be hard to find unless you have a great store in town. Unless you do I'd recommend sticking to the big 2 (Discraft and Innnova) for your first year or two so you can easily find replacements.

Thanks again everyone!!!! I ended up getting a Beast and a Wraith for Distance Drivers. I also got a Lycan for a new Mid-Range.

Disc recommendations

I love the Beast, especially in wooded areas. In windy areas, the Beast or a Katana, when they catch a left-right cross wind, will get caught up and sail far to the right. No good. I found the Tern or Vibram Lace are very good in windy conditions. They fly a mile and will always come back left for you.

As far as mid-range, Vibram Ibex and Obex are great. The Obex is more for the wind to get, once again, the guaranteed left turn at the end. I too use a Shark though not as much any more. However, I like to feed it every round so it doesn't get mad at me.

I hope this helps. I can't wait until spring. Things are real tough here in CT.

I found the Tern or Vibram Lace are very good in windy conditions. They fly a mile and will always come back left for you.

I don't mean to thread jack, but I got a Star Tern for Christmas and haven't had a chance to throw it yet. I guess I figured that with its glide you would want a tailwind and it may not work so well in a headwind. Am I backwards in my thinking on this one?

you should play ninigret if you are on east side of the river. its been a treat throwing on grass.

I played Ninigret while on vacation last summer, and I got EATEN ALIVE by mosquitoes. I have never seen so many in my life. I can't even remember what the course looks like because I was so focused on survival.

Thanks again everyone!!!! I ended up getting a Beast and a Wraith for Distance Drivers. I also got a Lycan for a new Mid-Range.
Jumping from a Leopard to a Wraith is a big jump. I bought both of those discs when I played in BG, and I'll stand by my recommendation of the Eagle. Not that you won't have success with those, but you may be falling into the same trap I did, which was equating speed with distance. In truth, matching disc speed to the distance you can currently throw will generate better results. As an example I can throw a Valkyrie (spd 9) significantly farther than I can throw my Krait (spd 11), Tern (spd 12) or my Boss or Katana (spd 13) All of those discs are sitting in a box waiting for me to grow into them or trade them for something that will help me more than they currently do. I had a similar experience with the Beast back in the day. I gained a little distance over my Eagle, but my scores dipped because I couldn't keep it in play. Not criticizing your choices, just food for thought.

I don't mean to thread jack, but I got a Star Tern for Christmas and haven't had a chance to throw it yet. I guess I figured that with its glide you would want a tailwind and it may not work so well in a headwind. Am I backwards in my thinking on this one?
No, especially not with the Star Tern that has more turn than the Champ version. I have a Champ first run Tern and I wouldn't use it in a headwind.

Latest posts