• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc rental agreement?

Awol

Our course recently had an Aquatic Center added to the park nearby, and they have agreed to rent discs. Not looking at it as a fund raiser, looking at it as an opportunity to spread the sport.

They have asked that we have some sort of waiver for people to sign before renting the discs. Anyone have any experience or advice before I get in touch with a lawyer? Maybe a sample agreement you wouldn't mind sharing? Hoping they will give us some pro bono advice as an in-kind donation, but I'm not super hopeful...

Thanks!

Last edited:
At my local course they only ask for a photo ID before renting a disc. They charge two dollars for a rental set (putter, mid, driver) and charge $10 for each lost disc. I have never seen anyone sign an agreement to rent these discs, but that may be because it is pay to play and you agree to "all course rules" upon paying.

I'm asking for some more clarification. I believe Wisconsin has a statute that prevents people from suing the course/county/city for injury that happens during the course of a recreational activity. Sort of like horse back riding or a ski hill.

I think. Asking the Mayor/Town Board for a little more info and I can go from there.

I'm asking for some more clarification. I believe Wisconsin has a statute that prevents people from suing the course/county/city for injury that happens during the course of a recreational activity. Sort of like horse back riding or a ski hill.

I think. Asking the Mayor/Town Board for a little more info and I can go from there.

Be careful how you ask. Sometimes when you ask a question to be safe it puts bad thoughts in people's minds. Then they start pre-protecting themselves against something that hasn't happened...and you lose a course. Seen it happen in all walks of life. "Hey, should we have a waiver for the trampoline competition at the school fair." = " I have a better idea...no trampoline competition...also, lets get rid of the sack race, someone could break a wrist or get hurt falling...actually let's just make it a Pizza party, with gluten free pizza, indoors incase someone is allergic to bees." "Well, someone might accidentally eat the pizza, we should forget the whole idea altogether."

Be careful how you ask. Sometimes when you ask a question to be safe it puts bad thoughts in people's minds. Then they start pre-protecting themselves against something that hasn't happened...and you lose a course. Seen it happen in all walks of life. "Hey, should we have a waiver for the trampoline competition at the school fair." = " I have a better idea...no trampoline competition...also, lets get rid of the sack race, someone could break a wrist or get hurt falling...actually let's just make it a Pizza party, with gluten free pizza, indoors incase someone is allergic to bees." "Well, someone might accidentally eat the pizza, we should forget the whole idea altogether."

Yes!

So good. :hfive:

Valid point, completely understand where you are coming from. Not something I'm overly worried about based on my past working with the rec board and the mayor though.

Ok, false alarm. They just want some sort of check-in / check out form, and something that lists out the pricing and penalties for a lost disc.

That just got a lot easier...

Ok, false alarm. They just want some sort of check-in / check out form, and something that lists out the pricing and penalties for a lost disc.

That just got a lot easier...

That makes way more sense. I was going to ask what exactly the liability concerns are with renting discs that they'd need a waiver. If someone were injured by a disc, the liability would be with the thrower regardless of where they got the disc from.

I'd recommend the "penalty" be in the form of a deposit that they get back upon returning the disc(s). Like a $10 fee to rent a disc(s), but they get $8 or $9 of it back when they return it/them. Gives them some incentive to return the disc but should be enough to replace the disc should it not come back.