• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc under bridge - how do you mark it?

olkok

Par Member
In our park we have quite a few bridges over canals that are not more than a few feet deep. Sometimes there is water in the canal and sometimes there's not. If disc lands in the canal under the bridge and there is no water, where do you mark your lie, under the bridge and take your best stance or on the bridge above your disc? Both surfaces are considered as playing surfaces.

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/80205
802.05 Lie

Agreed with JC.

The playing surface is a surface, generally the ground, which is capable of supporting the player and from which a stance can reasonably be taken.

IF a stance can reasonably be taken under the bridge, that would be the lie.

Then I assume the canals are not considered OB?

I once had a bizarre kick off a tree that wedged my disc up under the center edge support of a bridge, which crosses an 8' ravine with near vertical sides. It was impossible to take a stance behind the disc, so I brought it up to the playing surface on the bridge. Missed the putt anyway.

Apologies for jumping the thread. I have a related question though.

Yesterday, a friend's disc landed in a small canal, which had running water in it and is approximately a foot wide. I called his disc OB, to which he replied a canal had to be three feet (or more) wide.

Is there any truth to this?

Yesterday, a friend's disc landed in a small canal, which had running water in it and is approximately a foot wide. I called his disc OB, to which he replied a canal had to be three feet (or more) wide.

If its casual play then call it however the heck you want. A tournament or league though (at least I would think) this sort of thing ought to be address by the TD/LD especially if the water level varies. Personally, I'd be tempted to make the entire canal OB outlined with white paint. Of course I am saying all this site unseen. I do not recall seeing anything in the rules having to do with the width of the stream.

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/80603

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/80602

In essence, the way I treat it is, if it isn't defined as being OB then it isn't. Most folks just assume that permanent standing water such as lakes, ponds, rivers or creeks but if there isn't a TD, LD or sign to indicate what is and isn't OB then it's all inbounds. Am I right in this line of thought?

In any case, sometimes to eliminate bad feelings in casual rounds I like to always address the OB on each hole before anyone tees off. "You play that roadway as OB?" "Yep" kind of thing goes a long way to fostering a more pleasant round.

-Dave

Zero truth whatsoever. If the designation is "water is OB" then if the disc is surrounded by water, it's OB. The width of the body of water is irrelevant.

Of course, that assumes that the water is supposed to be OB in the first place. In a casual situation, it's up to you guys how to play it, but there is certainly no support for your friend's position in the rule book.

In our park we have quite a few bridges over canals that are not more than a few feet deep. Sometimes there is water in the canal and sometimes there's not. If disc lands in the canal under the bridge and there is no water, where do you mark your lie, under the bridge and take your best stance or on the bridge above your disc? Both surfaces are considered as playing surfaces.

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/80205
802.05 Lie

There's a lot of misconceptions about the bridge rules. PDGA rules say that they're stacked playing surfaces. A lot of people invent some sort of "verticality" rule and claim you can move the lie up to the bridge. But the rules don't say anything about being able to move the disc from one playing surface to a different playing surface. If the disc is on the ground under the bridge, then it's on the playing surface and you have to play it as it lies.

The gray area to me is where does the ground playing surface end? If the bottom of the bridge is 5' above the ground, then you can reasonably take a stance under it, and the ground is therefore a playing surface.
If the bridge is 1' above the ground and you can cram your foot under the bridge, is that a "reasonable stance"?
If the bridge is 6" above the ground and you have to break your damn ankle to take a stance, is that a "reasonable stance"?

And if you can't take a reasonable stance, do you bump up to the bridge surface or do you take relief behind the bridge?

I'm pretty sure I've seen this discussion before, and if I got the consensus and Q&A right...

In the case where a disc comes to rest under a bridge or other stacked playing surface, where a legal stance cannot be made (broken ankle, neck, or physical impossibility), the rules for Establishing a position and Relief from obstacles come into play. Personally, the situation I was in was the disc was 7+ feet above the nearest place you could stand, wedged under the middle of a bridge, where the bridge contacted the ground at the top of the near-vertical ravine wall.

This would be akin to one where (if I heard the story correctly) a disc once flew several meters into a small, corrugated drain pipe that could not be entered. There was a legal playing surface directly above the disc, so those rules moved the lie to the playing surface above the disc.

This would be akin to one where (if I heard the story correctly) a disc once flew several meters into a small, corrugated drain pipe that could not be entered. There was a legal playing surface directly above the disc, so those rules moved the lie to the playing surface above the disc.
Basil Griffin hole 2? It happened in my group at BG Ams the first year I went down there. Great FH off the tee and it did a slid rather than skip and went in that pipe. When we got down there and looked, it was literally right under the basket...

Last edited:
There are lots of stories of drain pipes and discs entering them so far that a stance at the location of the disc was impossible. It happened at the USDGC on a couple occasions (the 888 hole, IIRC), necessitating a special note in the caddy book about it because at the time, the rule book didn't address it. In fact, I'm fairly sure that was the biggest impetus behind adding the "below the playing surface" language to the rule book. (not all USDGC inspired rule changes are about hazards and penalties ;))

If its casual play then call it however the heck you want. A tournament or league though (at least I would think) this sort of thing ought to be address by the TD/LD especially if the water level varies. Personally, I'd be tempted to make the entire canal OB outlined with white paint. Of course I am saying all this site unseen. I do not recall seeing anything in the rules having to do with the width of the stream.

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/80603

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/80602

In essence, the way I treat it is, if it isn't defined as being OB then it isn't. Most folks just assume that permanent standing water such as lakes, ponds, rivers or creeks but if there isn't a TD, LD or sign to indicate what is and isn't OB then it's all inbounds. Am I right in this line of thought?

In any case, sometimes to eliminate bad feelings in casual rounds I like to always address the OB on each hole before anyone tees off. "You play that roadway as OB?" "Yep" kind of thing goes a long way to fostering a more pleasant round.

-Dave

Where I live Pierre South Dakota there is a inlet of water that is sometimes dry during tournaments some times not at the State Park course. We make for tournaments a spray paint line on the edge of the small inlet thing. It is not fair for some players as a Dam 1/2-3/4 mile nearby could release water and we get one group of players that went in but no water was there and other group water so we mark an ob line for tournaments and then use water as ob when the water has come past the ob spray paint line.

I believe you're referring to me shanking a Teebird into a drain pipe at Arthur O. Fisher last year. I posted pictures and related the story here. In that case it was a best-shot doubles event, so we just played my partner's shot. Entrance to the pipe was in-bounds, but where my shot came to rest was underneath an OB road, so consensus was I would have needed to play 1m in from the edge of the road.