• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disced Down -> Tourney

KingWillie

Bogey Member
This winter I disced down (Oct on). In my bag are several buzzzes (glow, dx, flx), a wasp, drone, and a couple IONs.

I am really liking the way the buzzes are flying. Very straight lines, anny lines, hyzers etc when I need them up to 270'.

Today, a couple buddies and I have decided to try out our first tourney this coming weekend. Should I work in 1 driver this week in the hopes that I can use it to squeek out an extra 50'+?

I am not entering the tourney for anything but the fun and to support my home course. I am leaning towards just throwing my mids. It has been a lot of fun to park the short holes and layup on the long holes right in the middle of the fairways. It is a little discouraging getting out-distanced by others with terrible form speed 13 drivers.

Also, when you play your first tourney, do you just enter at the lowest level. I think there will be am1, am2, am3. I have no clue what they mean.

Tourney is in Stockton, CA on March 5.

I would say that you should probably keep some kind of driver in the bag, always, to help you with keeping the nose down on throws.

As far as what division to enter, have you played the course before? Does the PDGA have tourney results listed for that course? If yes to both, how do your rounds match up with the tourney results? That van help you decide which level to enter.

Edit: For reference, I've been disc'ed down for almost a year, FWIW.

Yes. It is my home course so I have played it enough. I will check into scores and where I fall but with three pin positions on current holes and 18 additional temp holes for this tourney, it may not be valid.

Go to know that I should keep a driver in to help with nose angle. I may add an eagle or leopard after the tourney. Is that enough speed to tune in nose angle? Teebird may also be the first driver I add back.

I used to carry a Leopard, Orc, Valk, Sidewinder before the discing down.

Great to have your advice. I usually play with the same guys all the time and we are all learning together.

1. If it's your first tourney and you've never played the course, I recommend playing in the lowest division. If you have played the course, look at previous scores from tourneys there and do a comparison. Don't be a bagger...
2. Keep a low speed driver in your bag, like a Teebird or something similar. Keep going with the disc'd down thing but you might find that you'll need something with a little more juice.
3. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing, throwing, thinking.
4. Play your game and have fun!

Discing down can mean different things for different folks, but for me, it means that I don't throw anything over speed 7 on Innova's charts, which equates to a wing length of 1.7 or 1.8mm for other brands. Personally, I'm a big fan of Eagles for the variety of plastics regularly offered and how well they can shape lines, but TeeBirds, Gazelles, Cheetas, and Cyclones are all excellent molds, and fit in well with discing down. I do carry a Firebird or two for utility shots, but almost never throw one BH, which is how I throw 90% of the time.

Nice boy, strong as a ox and about as smart. I normally wouldn't add a new disc one week before a tourney, although having at least a fairway driver like a Teebird, Eagle, Leopard would be fairly easy to adjust to quickly and help you hit lower lines or open up some other shots depending on your bag your tricks. Just don't spend too much time this week trying to learn to throw it far if you have nose up issues, and rest a couple days before the tourney.

I'd say play Am1 Advanced, or Am2 Intermediate playing home course. You will probably crush the Am3 Rec division(and most the AM2) throwing a buzz 270'. You will also learn more playing higher divisions, just don't try to keep up with the joneses.

Excellent stuff guys. It all makes sense. I will add in a teebird and talk to the TD to see where I belong.

I think the biggest difficulty will be playing at tourney speed. I like to cruise through a round without any dillying between shots. Standing around for minutes on end will be very different. That and not trash talking. :)

I suggest throwing in something along the lines of an Avenger SS or a Dragon. Always have at least one driver available to you, especially for things like overhead shots.

I'd also recommend maybe tossing a Comet in your bag at some point, it's a great flying disc that you'll love if you've been throwing BuZzz so well.

\/\/

I say boy, bring a stool. Don't over think your shots, just play like you normally do once you are up, don't take a bunch of practice swings.

Excellent stuff guys. It all makes sense. I will add in a teebird and talk to the TD to see where I belong.

I think the biggest difficulty will be playing at tourney speed. I like to cruise through a round without any dillying between shots. Standing around for minutes on end will be very different. That and not trash talking. :)

Maybe bring a stool or chair of some sorts. It helps keep your legs fresh and not warn out during the round(s). If you dont have one, I think IREI and academy have pretty durable ones for like $5. If you cant find one, try and find places to sit near the teeboxes when the players on your card are teeing off, or if you have to wait on the card in front of you.

Thanks guys. This turned into a decent "first tourney" advice thread.

I will bring my teebird and put my firebird back in my bag for overhead shots and emergency FHs. At least this way I wont feel like I'm bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Does everyone here use a stool at tourneys? Do you consider it a necessity for you? I think I would be cold or stiff if I sat down for a few minutes before my shot. I don't mind standing all day. No elevation changes at this park, nice and flat.

You may want to consider the stool... you might end up having long waits and a round that usually takes an hour might take 3+. Having a place to sit down might be a good thing. :D
Also, stay hydrated and possibly bring some healthy snacks with you.

I'll take all your advise. Will get a simple stool, snacks, etc.

I'll report back after the rounds and let you know how you all did. :clap:

if it is a small tournament don't take it to seriously with gear. I've been way over prepared for some tournaments that never required a chair, or snacks. Staying hydrated is very good.

I also went through a lengthy disc down process and did a tourney. Every time I threw a driver I felt like the mids I was use to would have done better. I honestly say just stick with the mids during the tourney because you'll much more confident and you won't frustrate/confuse yourself with the driver. One I did was with two drivers included (pro leo and champ banshee) and every time I threw them I wish I would have just thrown the roc or comet. After the first round I stopped using them and just stuck to what I know. Stick to what you know.

Don't throw at all the day before the tourney. Maybe even a few days. Last year I missed a tourney because I pulled a muscle in my neck by practicing too much the week before. Make sure you are well-rested and well-hydrated. If you are throwing a buzz 275' I'd say MA2 is a good fit.

If you're throwing Buzzz's, I would throw a Stalker in your bag. They're not kidding when they say it's a longer Buzzz. Do some open field work with it to get the feeling of it, and use it on those shots where you need the extra distance.

I am going to take out some of the recommended discs to play a couple rounds today/tomorrow. If they are not to foreign, I will use them Saturday.

How have you been shooting with just mids? The same scores, better, or worse? If you haven't been shooting worse with only mids then why add the drivers? It'll change the way you play the course to a style that is unfamiliar and unpracticed, and that spells disaster because you're not prepared to execute in that way.

I always keep an extra towel, lots of water, something like trail mix or beef jerky, gum, stool and an extra disc or two that I like but may not use on a course.

I also like to keep something that will keep me occupied and limber if there's a huge delay (like a hacky sack) REMEMBER: YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO THROW DISCS TO STAY WARM THAT'S ONE EXTRA STROKE FOR EACH THROW, EVEN IF YOU ARE JUST PLAYING CATCH.

\/\/

Latest posts