• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discgolfer Magazine - Reminder its trash day.

I haven't been a current member in years, but really liked Houck's articles in Discgolfer when I was receiving the mag. If they are still running his articles in each issue, I'd recommend at least reading those before recycling.

Classic disc golfer

The magazine definitely helps remind us of the disc golfer not in it for challenging themselves against better players.

"You've won some pro events and declined cash to remain amateur. You could obviously move up and be competitive so why don't you?
"Winning money playing disc golf never interested me and I like the amatuer scene, especially at majors. Remaining amatuer at my age also gives me the flexability to play in lots of different divisions so I have more choices of where to chase wins. I enter divisions where I have the best chance of an official PDGA first-place finish."

My rating is trash right now. Perhaps I'll play my junk rating and win some intermediate tournaments.

PS. I have played an MA40 tournament with Chuck and he is a peach of guy. Easiest guy to play a tourney round with.

"Winning money playing disc golf never interested me"

He then goes on to say he prefers to just sell vouchers for instant cash and or selling plastic out of his car. :wall: I know the guy, he's mid 60s and a really good stable player. He's not the problem, the PDGA and am payouts is the problem. I'm guessing the ability to be a hybrid "am/pro" has stifled more than one person from turning legit pro. The scenario plays out more in the age protected divisions due to no ratings restrictions where players with low ratings prefer to play with players their own age, resulting in the better players staying am and cleaning up. #merchmadness

I've contributed articles to many niche publications and have edited columns. It is true that ego drives a lot of unnecessary, low-quality publication. Many small clubs churn out newsletters in order to be seen as legitimate, but the lack of quality material does the opposite. I've always been impressed with organizations who wait to publish until they have something worth publishing.

Of course, I don't know what that would mean for a disc golf magazine. I can't imagine what there is to say about it. This forum demonstrates that.

Latest posts