• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DiscGolfPark Launches "DiscGolfArena" Concept

I think this idea is pretty cool. I can think of at 8-10 smaller parks in my neighborhood with room for 1, 2, or possibly even up to 5 or 6 or more baskets with 5-10+ surrounding tiles each, but no room to make even one real hole. Most have obstacles that could be used too. I understand this idea as it stands is for a single basket, but could be cool to make into "putting courses" where each basket can have X amount of tiles to serve like tees. Of course this only works if there is enough room, but could still work even in a very small area.

As it stands, IDK who the target audience would be. Young kids? New players? People looking to practice putting? I suppose all of the above, but doubt it would draw many of these groups in to play as a standalone basket in a tiny park.

Also, I hope for the sake of middle school gym teachers everywhere this is not intended for use in school gym classes! I can only imagine the chaos of 300 6th 7th and 8th graders chucking discs at each other from across the gym!

This is not the intended for gym class. PS most gym classes have well below 300 kids.

I'm of the opinion this would be PERFECT for a gym class environment, no? Drewbie are you a teacher or something? I would think a teacher could at least control the class from whipping discs at each other, and the students would probably think the teacher is "cool" for finding a way to include disc golf. I would not shy away from marketing to schools by any means.

I'm of the opinion this would be PERFECT for a gym class environment, no? Drewbie are you a teacher or something? I would think a teacher could at least control the class from whipping discs at each other, and the students would probably think the teacher is "cool" for finding a way to include disc golf. I would not shy away from marketing to schools by any means.

This will be another option for schools, along with what we already market for schools (School DiscGolfSet & School DiscGolfPark).

I should have said in my last post that, "I don't believe schools are the intended market, but it could work in schools".

I know what JYLY and 1025 are but are Puttitikkaat and Pudotuspeli? Google came up blank with anything I could read.

How is a park supposed to keep any of the discs around for newbie to use. I see this as something good for a school / summer camp environment. And a good idea for practice baskets at existing courses. But how is a city park supposed to keep any of the discs around for non-DGers to try?

There has been one basket standing in a park near here for at least 25 years and likely a bit more. I have never seen a single person using it. IMO this sort of thing will be good for somewhat structured environments (schools, camps, etc) but won't gain traction in a regular park setting.

Not to derail the thread, but I read somewhere that ice hockey actually had the highest rate of concussions. Rugby and Gridiron Football aren't too far behind though.

My son played both rugby and ice hockey and concussions are frequent injuries in both sports.

Yes, I'm a teacher aide. For the interests of DiscGolfPark I think they should certainly market to schools, especially those with huge numbers of students because these schools often have bigger budgets and get nicer, newer, odd/different equipment more frequently. Also, schools will need more than one basket to accommodate even a small gym class. You can't have entire gym of students standing around while they throw one maybe two at a time.

I just know that this unit would be the least favored of the curriculum for most gym teachers I've worked with. Either the kids line up and throw at the basket one at a time (terrible use of time), or they get in a circle and all throw at once- at which point mass chaos ensues! haha Potentially great for DGP, headache for teachers. Again, IDK the intended market. I like this as a tiny park concept, and a business concept, but honestly I wouldn't be thrilled to teach this unit even as an avid disc golfer.

This is not the intended for gym class. PS most gym classes have well below 300 kids.

You're right, I exaggerated a bit for effect. Most I've worked in are 50-70 (still a big group of kids to orchestrate), though in middle school/ high school gym periods in the hundreds are not uncommon.

Yes, I'm a teacher aide. For the interests of DiscGolfPark I think they should certainly market to schools, especially those with huge numbers of students because these schools often have bigger budgets and get nicer, newer, odd/different equipment more frequently. Also, schools will need more than one basket to accommodate even a small gym class. You can't have entire gym of students standing around while they throw one maybe two at a time.

I just know that this unit would be the least favored of the curriculum for most gym teachers I've worked with. Either the kids line up and throw at the basket one at a time (terrible use of time), or they get in a circle and all throw at once- at which point mass chaos ensues! haha Potentially great for DGP, headache for teachers. Again, IDK the intended market. I like this as a tiny park concept, and a business concept, but honestly I wouldn't be thrilled to teach this unit even as an avid disc golfer.

Again, we have other options that are MEANT for schools.

There has been one basket standing in a park near here for at least 25 years and likely a bit more. I have never seen a single person using it. IMO this sort of thing will be good for somewhat structured environments (schools, camps, etc) but won't gain traction in a regular park setting.

Is it just a basket? Does it have a (large) information board with rules/games to play/etc?

I know what JYLY and 1025 are but are Puttitikkaat and Pudotuspeli? Google came up blank with anything I could read.

How is a park supposed to keep any of the discs around for newbie to use. I see this as something good for a school / summer camp environment. And a good idea for practice baskets at existing courses. But how is a city park supposed to keep any of the discs around for non-DGers to try?

They are more simple putting formats, good for playing a against a friend even if they can be done alone too.

Putting Ladder
2 putters. Make both, advance 1 spot outwards. Make only one, stay put. Miss both, go back one step.

Play-off
3 putters. Make at least one to advance to next spot. Miss all three and youre out.

ps. JYLY is originally the brainchild of a good friend of mine, and the name originally comes from what he has used for username in games for like forever. But he refuses to give up what lies beneath the acronym :D

Is it just a basket? Does it have a (large) information board with rules/games to play/etc?

Yeah that will bring out the peeps in hundreds.

Hell we have courses with 3 baskets spaced out in open area and no one uses those either. Only time single baskets are used this way is when one is out for putting practice/warming up and even then most people are playing the course.

Latest posts