• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Great Lakes Open - May 31st - June 2nd

HmRnKngJC25

Par Member
http://greatlakesopen.org/
http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/99311

Very happy to see some changes in the club that is running this tournament. Hoping to bring the tourney back to gets glory from the 90's and 00's. Pro's get to play the temporary wonder called The Toboggan. Normally only open for a month surrond the USADGC. Very excited to see how close the top pro's and get to a round in the 40's!!! Will it be a former USADGC player like Ricky W, David Wiggins or Big Jerm hoisting the throphy!

AM's get to play equally great courses at Hudson Mills. Both Monster and Original are being used to host a giant AM field.

Slots will start filling up quick come May!

http://greatlakesopen.org/
http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/99311

Very happy to see some changes in the club that is running this tournament. Hoping to bring the tourney back to gets glory from the 90's and 00's. Pro's get to play the temporary wonder called The Toboggan. Normally only open for a month surrond the USADGC. Very excited to see how close the top pro's and get to a round in the 40's!!! Will it be a former USADGC player like Ricky W, David Wiggins or Big Jerm hoisting the throphy!

AM's get to play equally great courses at Hudson Mills. Both Monster and Original are being used to host a giant AM field.

Slots will start filling up quick come May!

The TD for this year's DGLO is John Minicuci, who has a ton of experience running tournaments for the Motor City Chain Gang. John's excited to be running this event and really is a stand-up guy.

I'd' be all over this like white on rice, bears on honey, or Miguel Cabrerra on a hanging braking ball, but my daughter's HS commencement is that Sunday. I'm so miffed I can't make this event! :wall: :wall: :wall:

I'm on call that weekend :( seriously awesome looking and sounding event. John is awesome and Michigan is lucky he calls the mitten home.

I agree with both of you about John! You can always come watch or even spot for the event. Spotters for USADGC are normally paid handsomely in plastic by Discraft, not sure if it will be the same for this event.

Anyone know if Ams will finish up early enough on Sunday to get over and watch the Pros finish?

Also, does anyone if Ams are playing 18/24 holes and what tee pads are being used?

BigBob, the TD might be able to answer those questions if you direct them to him. I know they are still working on the logictics. The lead card usually at USADGC doesn't tee over until 2:00pm+ if my memory serves me correctly. Depending if you wait for Am payouts over at Hudson would be the only thing, but you should be able to watch a good amount of golf still.

Just keep checking the websites! I'm just here to spread the word a little bit more.

A few more Open players I recognize have confirmed (McBeth, Guthrie, Ulibarri). I want to see all the Pros there!

Now it's shaping up! This is gonna be an awesome weekend and tournament :D

Both are about 2/3's full with two weeks to go. Hear some people are starting to play Toboggan with no baskets or a travelers (high score carries!!!).

Am's players pack announced, not bad for $60.
The Players Packs will consist of:
2 discs (which ones are TBD)
1 T-Shirt
1 Hat
Sticker
1 Pair of Discraft Sunglasses
1 Aluminum Water Bottle

Anyone know if Ams will finish up early enough on Sunday to get over and watch the Pros finish?

Also, does anyone if Ams are playing 18/24 holes and what tee pads are being used?

I didn't see any info on which pads will be used for the Ams @ Hudson Mills, but they did post 2 rounds of 18 holes on Saturday (Original and Monster) followed by 1 round of 18 holes on Sunday (Original???).

Excited, my first time ever playing in a DGLO event. :thmbup:

Both are about 2/3's full with two weeks to go. Hear some people are starting to play Toboggan with no baskets or a travelers (high score carries!!!).

Am's players pack announced, not bad for $60.
The Players Packs will consist of:
2 discs (which ones are TBD)
1 T-Shirt
1 Hat
Sticker
1 Pair of Discraft Sunglasses
1 Aluminum Water Bottle
I hope they're not the same sunglasses and waterbottle from the 2012 ace race. That would seriously suck.

I hope they're not the same sunglasses and waterbottle from the 2012 ace race. That would seriously suck.

Unfortunately I am betting they are, use up the leftover stock... water bottle, sun glasses and sticker. Oh well, lost my water bottle a few months back so I could use a new one.

Man, what a list of Pros the DGLO has registered. Hope we get going early on Sunday so I can drive over to Kensington and check out the Pros finish.

Unfortunately I am betting they are, use up the leftover stock... water bottle, sun glasses and sticker. Oh well, lost my water bottle a few months back so I could use a new one.

Man, what a list of Pros the DGLO has registered. Hope we get going early on Sunday so I can drive over to Kensington and check out the Pros finish.

Considering what the sunglasses are going on DDGA, (more than stock Discraft discs) it could be worth it.

I would imagine that the final card would be teeing off around 1-2pm time frame. (Depending on final field size) Drive is about 30-40 minutes between courses.

Unfortunately I am betting they are, use up the leftover stock... water bottle, sun glasses and sticker.
Those sunglasses are awful. And my waterbottle rusted in a couple weeks. Oh, well. Still should be a great tournament!

I didn't see any info on which pads will be used for the Ams @ Hudson Mills, but they did post 2 rounds of 18 holes on Saturday (Original and Monster) followed by 1 round of 18 holes on Sunday (Original???).

Excited, my first time ever playing in a DGLO event. :thmbup:

Not even playing the full course?!?!?!

Shenanigans

Not even playing the full course?!?!?!

Shenanigans

I hear you, shame to let those extra 12 holes (6 on each) go to waste. Played hooky from work on Monday and got to play the Original (all 24) twice and the Monster (all 24) once, what a fun day of Disc Golf. :thmbup:

I wonder if it has to do with this event being the 32nd annual DGLO and maybe some sort of tradition of just playing the original 18 holes without the extra letter holes that were added later on. Just my uneducated guess.

Also cuts the field down, if it is max 5 per hole, then 6 holes is 30 less people who can enter. Seems strange this large event would not take advantage of the extra holes. Oh well, happy to play either way.

Just saw an update on tee assignments for the Ams...:hfive:

AM1 and AM2 will be playing Monster & Original (Sat) and Monster (Sun). Playing 18 holes from the long pads to the short baskets.

All other AM divisions will be playing Original & Monster (Sat) and Original (Sun). Playing 18 holes from the short pads to short baskets.

@Thryn3, I know the TD (John) posted he was working on some clinics with the Pros, but have not seen any updates since then. Sorry.

Just saw an update on tee assignments for the Ams...:hfive:

AM1 and AM2 will be playing Monster & Original (Sat) and Monster (Sun). Playing 18 holes from the long pads to the short baskets.

All other AM divisions will be playing Original & Monster (Sat) and Original (Sun). Playing 18 holes from the short pads to short baskets.

@Thryn3, I know the TD (John) posted he was working on some clinics with the Pros, but have not seen any updates since then. Sorry.

Clinics would be awesome. I just signed up to spot both days too.....