• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft metal flake Z plastic mystery disc

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Is this stuff common? I have this green Z mystery disc w/ metal flakes. Its the only Discraft disc I've seen in metal flake plastic.

I THINK its a Surge. The disc just says Discraft on the top and doesn't have the name tooled into the inner rim. I threw the disc today and if it is a Surge its a really beefy one. No high speed turn at all. Something in the realm of 11, 4, 0, 2. It is NOT a Force. That much I can tell. If I had to guess I'd say its a very limited run of a disc for a tournament or something.

Anyone else seen Discraft disc like this one? I sure never have.

I have a MF Z team stamped disc just like you've described except it's yellow.

It's (Mine's) a Force.

I have a MF Z team stamped disc just like you've described except it's yellow.

It's (Mine's) a Force.

So its a team release? I was going to say, I've seen a LOT of Discraft discs over the years and never seen one like this. Its just a tad annoying because nowhere on the disc is there an indication what mold it is.

The disc itself is beautiful. Really bright green, semi gummy sparkle Z plastic.

If it has nothing but the Discraft bar stamp, then yes, it's a team stamp. I know they used it for pre-release molds as well as I have a beat up pre-release D Ringer with that stamp as well. I can't comment about the Force being pre-release since I bought it used a few years after the mold was released, and the Force was originally released in ESP.

Either way, I agree about the plastic. I bought mine as a "collector" so I never threw it, but their plastic from back then was outstanding in all premium blends. It was post-pearly Z and much better feeling/performing than the opaque Champ Innova was producing.

And I'd much rather have no markings than have tooling inside the rim like Discraft loves doing. Many prefer it for the grip, but it just annoys me. I still love a lot of Discraft molds though, even though I bag other companies with smooth rims. It does suck when you like a mold and have no idea what it is though! :D

Last edited:
There were definitely a bunch of Cryztal Sparkle Surges out there 2-3 years ago. I got a nice pink one in a misprint pack and kinda wish I would have bought more. Consensus was that most of those didn't have the mold engraved on the rim.

That said, they were beefy but I'm not sure as beefy as what you're saying. It reminds me a bit of the SC Top 10 Forces, which were definitely high PLH, flat, and very beefy.

Discrafts version of metal flake is usually cryZtal sparkle, or cryZtal-FLX sparkle. There have been predators, surges, and forces put out in this blend as far as i know there could be more out there. DGA the sister company also does a sparkly Z blend for a few of their discs aswell.

I love my sparkle Z Liberty Buzzz. Medium firm, grippy and getting better with some wear.

New Z Surges won't have any turn, I'm assuming that's what it is. Hell most new ESPs won't have turn for a vast majority of disc golfers (assuming relatively good form of course).

Is the plastic what you're asking common, or that particular mold in said plastic? The former is somewhat yes and the latter is no maybe a couple hundred tops to my knowledge.

There were definitely a bunch of Cryztal Sparkle Surges out there 2-3 years ago. I got a nice pink one in a misprint pack and kinda wish I would have bought more. Consensus was that most of those didn't have the mold engraved on the rim.

That said, they were beefy but I'm not sure as beefy as what you're saying. It reminds me a bit of the SC Top 10 Forces, which were definitely high PLH, flat, and very beefy.

I held my disc up against another Surge and they do look very similar. I can't think of another similar mold Discraft produces, so I'm assuming its a Surge. The disc is absolutely beefy. It reminds me of a Teerex or slightly faster Starfire. I wasn't getting the glide or distance I get out of other Surges.

If I could post pictures here of it I would. Are there any free photo hosting sites anymore? I used to use Photobucket, but that doesn't work anymore.

I held my disc up against another Surge and they do look very similar. I can't think of another similar mold Discraft produces, so I'm assuming its a Surge. The disc is absolutely beefy. It reminds me of a Teerex or slightly faster Starfire. I wasn't getting the glide or distance I get out of other Surges.

If I could post pictures here of it I would. Are there any free photo hosting sites anymore? I used to use Photobucket, but that doesn't work anymore.

http://imgur.com my friend:thmbup:

If you want a walkthrough of resizing/linking etc. PM me, or if you don't feel like creating an account PM me and I'll give you my number so you can text them to me.

99% sure that's a Surge wing. You're welcome!

My Z archer of 2017 has the micro sparkle the way some of the Tournament Elite X plastic had in the 2000's, is that what you are talking about or is it the actual Chrystal Z plastic that is more like Innova Metal Flake?

Nevermind this post, I saw picture.

Last edited:

Latest posts