• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Mids Comet v Buzzz

Prince Vegeta

Bogey Member
I've never tried the comet. I have a few different buzzz. My most understable is a esp that flies similar to a mako3. How would a z comet compare? Will it fly mostly straight? Does it perform just as well under low ceilings? Would an esp comet be a good understable compliment to a straighter z? Etc. For reference, I toss the buzzz around 300ft. I understand there are profile differences between the discs.

Thanks.

A Z or ESP Comet aren't as different as you might think. I tend to like Z because I've always liked Z for most molds.

Comets in general like more air under them than Buzzzes. There are Comet gurus out there that can pull off the laser Comet shot, but that has never been my gig. And of course, Comets require good, smooth form to pull off their magic.

In summary, get one and try it out. Or two. Or more.

The comet requires finnesse and uses glide to navigate low ceilings. The Buzzz uses a little more speed.

When my form was at its best I found there to be a but of overlap between them, these days I dont throw quite as smooth and prefer a buzzz on an open fairway when I want to rip on it hard and not worry about oat as much.

The comet is still in my bag for touchier shots and late turning shots. I carry a flatter esp than I used to prefer.

With comets more dome usually means more stable. Domey comets are the ones you want for dead straight lazer beams.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Hellfire, auto correct strikes again, and I got a call so I ran out of edit time.

Domey Z or X comets are magic, and I use a Relay(Squall) for the long low ceiling tunnel shots mentioned above.

When I have attempted to put a Buzzz back in my bag, it never got used.

Last edited:
The squall is an amazing disc for those shots. Step up from the comet in speed helps with the low ceilings

Definitely get yourself a Comet and try it out, you won't regret it. For the most part, it is slower than the Buzzz and relies more on glide and ceiling. I carry both. My ESP has a nice combination of grip and stability.

For me there is a pretty significant difference from the Comet-type "throws like a putter with glide" mids and the "throws like a shorter driver" Buzzz-type discs. One is not necessarily better than the other, they just fit different throwing styles. I know some people bag both types i.e. carry both a Buzzz and a Comet, but personally I just stick to the Roc/Comet-type mids. My throwing just doesn't adapt well to a Buzzz.

Sticking to that philosophy, to me a faster tweener disc like the Squall would fit better with a Buzzz than a Comet would. I love Comets and wouldn't want to discourage anyone from trying one, but realistically they are not for everyone.

Which...that's probably why there are 4,567 mids on the market right now, eh? Something for everyone...

For me there is a pretty significant difference from the Comet-type "throws like a putter with glide" mids and the "throws like a shorter driver" Buzzz-type discs. One is not necessarily better than the other, they just fit different throwing styles. I know some people bag both types i.e. carry both a Buzzz and a Comet, but personally I just stick to the Roc/Comet-type mids. My throwing just doesn't adapt well to a Buzzz.

Sticking to that philosophy, to me a faster tweener disc like the Squall would fit better with a Buzzz than a Comet would. I love Comets and wouldn't want to discourage anyone from trying one, but realistically they are not for everyone.

Which...that's probably why there are 4,567 mids on the market right now, eh? Something for everyone...
I agree a lot. There is room for both, but there is surely overlap. I love gila-comet. I am toying with a buzzz in the mix too, now that we finally have more stable finishing Buzzz available. I am not sure there is actually room.

I love the Kaxe as well, and it was amazing when it was my mid and fairway. No room for it between a gila and teebird though

I've never tried the comet. I have a few different buzzz. My most understable is a esp that flies similar to a mako3. How would a z comet compare? Will it fly mostly straight? Does it perform just as well under low ceilings? Would an esp comet be a good understable compliment to a straighter z? Etc. For reference, I toss the buzzz around 300ft. I understand there are profile differences between the discs.

Thanks.

I would compliment a fresh Z Buzzz with a Buzzz SS or Meteor. They seem more user/release friendly and faster than a Comet.

I agree a lot. There is room for both, but there is surely overlap. I love gila-comet. I am toying with a buzzz in the mix too, now that we finally have more stable finishing Buzzz available. I am not sure there is actually room.

I love the Kaxe as well, and it was amazing when it was my mid and fairway. No room for it between a gila and teebird though

Something like a Gila clicks for me because what a Gila does is something a Comet isn't great at. I mean you CAN throw those shots with a Comet if you are good, but I've never claimed to be good. That makes it a good pairing of discs that do different things well. The Buzzz/Comet thing in a lot of cased is more of a "they do the same thing in a different way" situation, which is where the overlap is. To me that makes them trickier to pair.

My thing is more of a KISS philosophy of I have to execute a shot. If I've got one disc I'm going to throw for that shot, I grab it and I start thinking about how much hyzer or anny or what I have to do to execute the shot. If I have 2-3 options, I start out thinking about which disc to throw. Then if I don't execute the shot, I don't think "ah, rolled my wrist and turned that over." I think "ah, should have thrown the Buzzz instead of the Comet." Having that overlap makes me think a lot about what discs are in my bag and less about how I'm throwing those discs, and that makes it harder to focus on why I'm not executing the shots. In the end, you can have a great looking bag full of USDGC/Ledgestone specialty runs and Paul McBeth signature whatevers, but you still have to throw them. :|

Pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Couldn't have said it better myself. My bag lineup reflects this to a T. I typically like a more finesse game (even if I can do things like park a 300' slight hyzer hole with a comet) so I lean to more workable mids, hence carrying 3 comets in my bag. I still recognize the need in my bag for a straight, line drive midrange - which is where the aftershock comes in. Need more distance and a comet like flight, but don't want to throw a driver? Squall.

There's not much difference in the plastics for premium comets. You'll find more variation due to the dome - the very domey Z are most 'overstable' comets. The flat ESP have more high speed turn. X Plastic flies truest to the mold, incredible glide and easy to throw.

Latest posts