• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft needs to step their game back up'

Aim For The Chains

FROLF OFF!
Bronze level trusted reviewer
"back in the day" I watched many a DC instructional videos and threw their discs from the wildcat, impact, flash, crush and all the normal stuff too with lots of great molds, solid plastics, then DGA which has killer models to compliment their line up.

On the DG Answer Man video Emac responded to a question basically saying they need to do more for their players and in general. He didn't get into it much being they have 10 years of history together but I am on his side on feel like this company his missing out.

Central Coast Disc Golf (CCDG) Has done more IMO to promote Peter McBride who is a hell of a player and I believe recently gone to legacy. Its a shame a company with such a history isn't trying to capitalize on the market that's here. People still are talking about the antique comet on this site!

I feel the same way. I have three discraft shirts and where them proudly but any more I would rather rep dynamic discs or innova. They aren't doing much in the way of innovation or marketing.

When I was first hooked on the game I used those Discraft instructional videos because they were the best videos out there. They got me buying Discraft. Their marketing used to be the best in the game.

I believe it was said but haven't checked yet that their most recent "in the bag" video was of EMac

:popcorn:

Discraft is following the Lightning path. I don't know if they realize it or not. Lightning has great molds and good plastic. Who cares? May Discraft take note.

When you're most known for you mid range discs, chances are you're not going to be the first discussion point in disc golf.

Hadn't really given them much thought lately.
Legacy, MVP, Westside, Prodigy, Vibram; all up-and-coming.
Innova seems to be taking care of their top players.

Where is Discraft headed?????

Discraft/DGA have sponsored 3 players from GA within the past month. Looks like they're trying to grow their talent pool some.

When you're most known for you mid range discs, chances are you're not going to be the first discussion point in disc golf.

You saying discraft isn't the buzzz around town?!

I remember the days of so many roc vs buzzz threads.

and then it was 2014-- with neither listed on the recent posts!

When I was first hooked on the game I used those Discraft instructional videos because they were the best videos out there. They got me buying Discraft. Their marketing used to be the best in the game.

Probably the reason I use the Buzzz and Wasp.

It really is kind of sad. My first disc purchased 6 years ago was an Elite Z Buzzz...still got it in the bag. I thought the Buzzz was the best thing ever. I solely purchased Discraft for three years...now I only have three different Discraft molds in the bag.

Discraft has some amazing molds: Comet, Buzzz, Zone, Nuke. They also have some great molds: Wasp, Crank, Challenger. I'm sure I'm leaving some out here.

But they've never pumped out mold after mold like Innova, and they're no longer the counter-cultural side of the big two. Because there is no big two anymore.

I think a lot of it does come down to marketing in a new media environment. Smaller companies can look bigger now by producing youtube videos and doing podcasts. There are so many disc manufacturers out there now producing really great discs, that everyone's share in the market has decreased, which is why its so important to maintain what each company has by aggressive marketing. I just don't see Discraft doing that.

After the big shakeup when Prodigy and DD came out, Innova recovered and Discraft seemed to take a bigger hit. Innova seems to have bet it all on McBeth, and they picked a winner there (what an understatement). They also created SpinTV to promote their brand and have released a solid lineup of hits like the Roc3, the Tern, G Star plastic, and more.

Why isn't Discraft promoting Nate Doss all over the place? They've released a good mold in the Crank, but that's about it. Titanium plastic didn't work, but they didn't seem to react to that until it was too late. They're releasing more vibrant colors now, but it doesn't matter. My local retailer hardly has any Ti and I don't think he's carrying it anymore (it's in the discount bin now) and I think that's because there just isn't enough space to carry something that's not really selling all that well. If they'd reacted to the failure of Ti a year ago at least, they wouldn't be losing that shelf space.

Meanwhile, MVP is hogging up shelf space with their releases. You've got MVP and Axiom, with hot new releases coming out all the time. When you look at their flight charts, you see how huge they are: they are dominating the walls with flashy, smart looking charts promoting their brand (actually, I think it's a bit much: you don't need RHBH and LHBH, as well as 30 square inches of repeated material on the right border like they have, but I digress.) They are conquering the walls and the shelves, while Discraft is being edged out.

It's only ever so slightly at this point, but Discraft needs to be adding to their shelf space to maintain that market share, and I see them being edged out. They can't afford to lose anything. No company can when you've got a proliferation of manufacturers coming out, and a sport that still hasn't gone mainstream. So while the sport has been steadily gaining new players, the expansion of companies has far outstripped the expansion of the user base. It's a much more competitive environment now, and Discraft seems to be hanging on, rather than charging forward.