• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Pros

I don't know how it is with other companies, but (some?) Innova pros have access to their warehouse and can hand pick their discs. While it isn't a pro only golf shaft, I'm sure Innova has racks of discs that people are paying through the nose for on FB.

Dion Arlyn is still winning tournaments in Oregon, but I get where you're coming from. As others have said, they're an Ultimate company first and don't seem to be interested in recruiting as aggressively as Lat64 or others. I know Tim McDill signed with them just last year, so it's not like they're an exclusive club yet.

It makes sense what they are doing too. Why waste money tryin to sign the 2nd best guy. Sign the future mcbeths. They already have the ultimate market cornered for years. When disc golf gets to a point of profit where it matters to have the name everywhere, im sure they will jump in.

Sponsoring the youth is how surfing initially started growing on the mainland US in the 80's with young surfers like Rob Machado, CJ Hobgood, Cory and Shea Lopez, Sunny Garcia, Andy Irons, etc. Matt Kechele and Sundeck sponsored Kelly Slater and other young Florida surfers before he was 10 years old, Tom Curren was sponsored early on and Matt Archbold and Martin Potter were big time names traveling internationally by the time they were 15. Surfing has continued with the model of sponsoring young kids and forgetting about the older guys which is unfortunate and thankfully a contrast compared to dg. What really got surfing growing in the past 20 years is so much attention on Women's Competitive surfing. Most women in the top 20 of the WSL make > $100k from competitions and probably the same from sponsors and photo shoots around the world surfing and modeling.

Schick would be kickin butt on tour but usually only has time for close 1-day events.

Tyler as well, but he never had the funds to travel.

I think they have done a great job over the years supporting players who deserve it and represent them well.

I don't even know if that's possible since every disc has to be approved by the pdga and publicly posted.

If you believe this, go check out the equipment threads. Molds are not submitted for approval after tweaking. Companies can do whatever they please until someone blows the whistle.

Innova released a new wraith a couple weeks back, a totally different disc shape, without approval. Same for the 3 series.

Discraft sponsors a lot of solid, 1000+ rated regional pros. Some names that come to mind include Tim Barham, Geoff Bennett, Ben Callaway, Chris Heeren, Jon Perry, Nate Krahn, Justin Jernigan, etc. That's on top of the other guys that have already been listed. Discraft also added George Castillo from TX and Trevor Harbolt from KY over the last few months.

I would love to see some more Discraft folks on some of the vids from events! I see MJ quite often and it looks like Nate is beginning his new enterprise, so I am not sure if we will see him as much?

Cost/Time Analyst?

Everyone buying more than a few discs knows about Discraft. I think Disc Golf works as much over word of mouth than what does a pro use. Seeing a buddy with a certain disc holds basically the same value as a popular pro. So it might just not see a large value in chasing Pros at this point.

They still sponsor plenty of events and I rather a company sponsor events than pros themselves cause this a participation sport.

If you believe this, go check out the equipment threads. Molds are not submitted for approval after tweaking. Companies can do whatever they please until someone blows the whistle.

Innova released a new wraith a couple weeks back, a totally different disc shape, without approval. Same for the 3 series.

Well ok then, I never knew that was going on. :|

Cost/Time Analyst?

Everyone buying more than a few discs knows about Discraft. I think Disc Golf works as much over word of mouth than what does a pro use. Seeing a buddy with a certain disc holds basically the same value as a popular pro. So it might just not see a large value in chasing Pros at this point.

They still sponsor plenty of events and I rather a company sponsor events than pros themselves cause this a participation sport.

i agree with this statement.

I learned early on that what the pros throw doesn't concern me. 900 rated player and i will never throw a sky anny with a star avery destroyer unless it gets hit by planes trains and automobiles. Now what the local guy who is also rated 900 throws concerns me as we are on the same page ability wise and the disc flight will be similar. I bought way too many speed 13 disc early on and it def didn't help me

It was nice to see Austin Turner play really well in Throw Down the Mountain. Young, but 997 and climbing.

It's just a different marketing tactic. Sponsor 1 top-tier pro for $20,000 or 10 local pros for $20,000. Say one top-tier player gets 400 people out there to buy a buzzz. Same as each local pro getting 40 locals in there area to throw a buzz. (numbers just made up for example)

I would actually say that if a local in my town was sponsored by discraft it would greatly change what people in the "league" scene threw. More so then Discraft picking up a top teir pro.

Another point. Majority of disc golf sales are from "huckers" who have never heard of Paul McBeth.

I have noticed Discraft players moving up the ranks lately....in the mean time just watch some old coverage. Leiviska in the Nonstopdiscgolf vids was an absolute SURGEON with his buzzz.

Also...MJ....

I have been thinking about how Discraft really hasn't done much to market themselves when comparing to LAT 64 or Discmania. However, I've come to realize that it's what everyone has been saying, They don't have to! They sponsor plenty of good players (just not many in the top 30) and have a lot of business in Michigan, Ohio, and other parts of the midwest. They do focus on making consistent discs more so than on marketing a player and i think it earns more customer respect in the long run. Also, their junior team is very good. There are a handful of players on under 21 sponsored by Discraft who could be top 60 players in the world. Discraft is doing just fine.

Let's say a company doesn't market as much as another company. How does that make you feel? Does it affect how your discs fly? Since that answer is no, why are you concerned with how and how much a company markets? And the most immediate derisive comment is always "that's just marketing". So why are people so hungry to be marketed to?

Because they are used to it and they want someone else to make their decisions for them.

Latest posts