• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Xpress Elite X issues

trw83

I just received my Xpress driver in the mail and was excited to try it out. It is an -1.0 understable driver and I throw RHBH. So with that in my mind, the driver is supposed to curve right. Problem is.....it doesn't! After throwing it mulitple times it always curves left. Even if I throw it at an angle so it goes right to begin with, it S-curves and goes left. Whats the deal? Did I get a defective disc?

I noticed this is your first post. What is your disc golf experience so far?

Well, I have been playing for about 2 years now and I would call myself an average player. I currently own 5 discs, 4 Discraft and 1 Lightning disc. The vast majority of my playing time has been with a Discraft Avenger Elite X driver (1.6 overstable), Discraft Buzzz mid-range, and a Lightning disc rubber putter.

Everything I throw goes left if I throw hard and right if I dont.

I played with disc angle yesterday in the yard and I think it has a huge factor. I confirmed this when I hit a 60' putt on the first try. (Let's not talk about the other 6 attempts. ;) )

What kind of distance do you get on an AVERAGE drive?
Unless you throw in the 250-275' range, you may find it difficult to get the disc to turn

For a RHBH, all discs eventually go left. It doesn't matter what their stability is--all that does is change the extremity of the curve. Here are most of the possible reasons that your understable disc is fading off too much:
-Your throw is weak
-Your angle of release is incorrect (though you said you tried an anhyzer and it didn't work)
-You're angling the nose up
-You're throwing too high

Suggestions:
-Work on your form
or
-Get a slower understable disc

Note: A throw is only as good as the player...don't blame the disc. If it was "defective" (IE warped molding), it would be more understable anyways. This is clearly not your problem, so it's definitely your form. You can compensate by fixing your form, or getting a slower disc...personally, I'd go with the former. Relying on a certain disc will make your game weaker in the long run.

I've never thrown an Xpress but I do use an elite X Stratus all the time. Throwing RHBH, as long as I put enough speed on it, it can't help but fade right and not come back much at all. I would have to guess you're not getting it up to the speed it needs to be to fly how it was designed.

I have heard some other very good players say that this disc was much more stable than it is described it might not just bo your form or arm strength.

Regardless of the disc, you'll always work on a sort of inverse scale.

Disc thrown faster than it was intended to === more understable than the ratings

Disc thrown as it was intended to === should fly like the ratings say

Disc thrown slower than it was intended to === more overstable than the ratings

SO, if you're having trouble with a disc that's too overstable, then, like I mentioned before, you have two options: throw it faster, or get a slower disc. It's all relative, and very simple.

I used to have an Elite X Express a few years back. Though rated as a "-1", it's not as understable as one may expect.

If I were you, I'd pick a midrange or Stratus and compare drives with your Express. I like X PLastic quite a bit. It will break in slowly and flatten out easier.

You really can't take the flight numbers that the disc companies provide to heart. In the end, a great deal of the equation is how you throw it. Weight could be an issue as well. Lighter discs are easier to turn over.

I would recommend an XS, Stratus, or Meteor.

Lighter discs are easier to turn over.

Yep, I have a fairly well beat in 164 Beast that really turns so I got an Xpress to fit the slot between straight and the Beast. Pretty happy using it for hyzer flips or long annies that I need a little s-curve fade back on. Usually I'll pull out the Valk for that though.

I watched a buddy thow this disc and it was great for a long anyhyzer but it would definitely still fade left a bit at the end. Just because the disc is understable doesn't mean it will only fade right for RHBH

Drivers don't come much flippier than the X Xpress. My guess is that the original poster is throwing too high.

Either that or -- because of the little right-turning arrow on the stamp -- he's expecting it to fly in a mirror image of his overstable discs. That's not physically possible, unless you throw it lefty or sidearm.

I like my X Xpress. I am thinking of getting another one with an easier to see color. Blue and green tye-dye is hard to see. On that same topic I saw a perfect grass color Champion Groove at Phenix yesterday.

My elite x Xpress was pretty darn understable right away. To me it felt at least as understable as a roadrunner, maybe even a little more.