• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs for young player

sqorbit

My daughter has become very interested in disc golf. She's mostly just thrown my discs around at the park but really wants to try out a full course. She's a rather small 10 yr old. Strangely enough she finds FH much more comfortable and more controllable than a BH throw. I throw almost entirely RHBH. Her FH throws with my Avair are almost better than my approach shots!

Anyone have an recommendations on good discs to get her started? Any discs that will give her decent distances and control with a FH? I'd like to keep her interest going and get her something she'll feel good about throwing on a short hole for distance.

I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to the very latest discs, however, I'd recommend the Innova Panther. The Panther will glide with more speed and stability than an Aviar without a lot of power. It also has a rather narrow, thin and beadless nose which makes it easy to grip FH or BH. I've lent mine to several newbie disc golfers and they enjoyed their round. The Panther would be a decent stepping stone to the Roc too.

my son who is nine has good luck with a 145 roc. 150 eclipse and a 150 magic.

Basically, anything light and neutral/understable should do the trick. If you can find any of the Discmania LadyLine discs, those should be pretty great for her. P1, MD2 and FD are all easy to throw discs, and the LadyLine versions are very light, and immensely grippy.

Shape matters too and small diameter thin discs are easier to grip and handle so the thinnest disc available Wedge should be fine shape and flight wise.

For my 3 year old I bring an Aerobie ring :) Your daughter can probably handle more, but I think it's frustrating for a very young child to see their dad through 200 ft and they get 30 if lucky.

I try to make it fun for him and a 3 year old can hit over 40ft with a little practice. Just something to think about for bringing kiddos along at first. Mix it up maybe so they don't get too frustrated.

g00p3 said:
For my 3 year old I bring an Aerobie ring :) Your daughter can probably handle more, but I think it's frustrating for a very young child to see their dad through 200 ft and they get 30 if lucky.

That's assuming my drive does go 200 ft. :)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. We are going out this Sunday for her 1st time. I picked up a Wedge for her to use and going to let her try some of my disks to see if she finds anything that works well.

If you just want to let them throw long, then an Aerobie ring is indeed the easy solution. Anyone can throw that one over 300 feet if they can keep it from going too high. =)

Latest posts