• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs you were disappointed with

aceshyze

Bogey Member
I searched for this forum, but couldn't find it. Do you ever buy discs that you expect to love, but don't? After reading everything on this site, I bought a clear 170 g opto river and ended up being kinda disappointed. What discs disappointed you?:confused:

I'd say my biggest disappointment was the Pain. When I flicked it (back then I was primarily FH thrower) I would always turn it over. Granted that was probably a bunch of OAT or trying to torque it too hard, but I could easily flick my Buzzz, Buzzz SS and Gator (primary mids at the time) without any trouble. For BH shots, it didn't really fill any hole I didn't have covered. I was originally hoping it would replace the Gator in my bag, but ol chomp chomp is too good to take out. :D

When I broke my throwing shoulder, I went to lighter discs. I purchased a ultralight Diablo DT. When you hit it just right, it was great. When you didn't, you never knew what the flight path would be. Any wind would drive it wild too.

The Ion. Never really worked for me. I tried backhanding and forehanding it. Every time I threw it, it sucked. I can throw my challenger or my wizards much better than that thing. And I kept putting it in the back of my mind that it was a better wind putter than my wizard (they're exactly the same). So I kept pulling it out instead of my putter and that hurt my game a lot too

River for me as well. I had read a lot about it here on the forums, but I had no experience with Lat64. I saw two guys at Widefield just crushing their Rivers, blasting them much farther than I was throwing my distance drivers. So I got a sweet GL Skullboy on the MP here. That was about four months ago now, and I finally took it out of the bag a couple weeks ago. I just could not get a handle on that thing.

I love Fairway drivers (fit my sausage fingers well so I can get a good rip) but the River just didn't work for me. And believe me, I wanted to love that disc. Not only does it look awesome, but so many people on here love it. I know its me and not the disc, but yeah, I was dissapointed.

Another "it's me and not the disc": the Leopard. I've tried it several times, and it's just never clicked for me.

I just ordered a Test Run River to try out; hopefully I'll be one of those for whom it does click.

Roc. Probably the disc with the biggest hype that I never really liked.

Others include: Vector, Saint, Gator, Ascent, and I'm sure many others.

Sabre. I bought an xout pack from Gateway on Ebay because it had the Sabre in it and I wanted to try it. The other two discs in the pack worked well for me, but I never really got the hang of the Sabre. I lost one and sold the other one.

I think that's probably the only one I was ever really disappointed in. I've had a few that I wanted to try and didnt work out, but I was really honestly disappointed that the Sabre didn't work.

Where to begin? I have thrown almost everything, but the problem is is that in the seven years I have been doing that, my game has always been evolving. What actually might have been good for my game now was likely what I was not looking for at the time. So, while my list will include discs that I was greatly disappointed with, that does not mean that they are bad discs.

Opto Vision - I wanted something that could be powered down and fly flat. Instead it immediately flipped up, over, and was lost on its first throw.

2nd Run Opto Strikers - Once I dialed it in, my first run Opto Striker was the understable control driver I was looking for. The 2nd runs along with the production run Gold Lines were like Orcs or Wraiths. Good in their own right, not what I was looking for.

Nuke OS - Bought it strictly for the purpose of maximum distance on thumbers. Ended up being too wide rimmed to get enough flick on it for distance. My Opto XXX is working tremendously better.

Pro Wraith - Fliptastic when you have no idea what OAT is, but the Champion Wraiths were flying just fine. Why did I spend good money on a dyed Pro Wraith?

Z XS - Glideless crap. Early in my career I was throwing the X XS with great success. I thought it was a symbol of being a great player to throw Champion/ Z plastic.

SSS Wizard - Really? I thought this was supposed to be a magical putter that solved all my putting problems. Then I discovered it was my fault the putter was not going into the basket. It did not help that I then made several long putts with a S Voodoo.

Gold Line Pain - I so wanted it to be like the Hornet, or anything just a step under a Drone. I was going for an almost all Latitude bag with the exception of a River and Axis. Instead it was more like a Star Rancho Roc. Great disc, but not what I needed in my bag at the time.

Firm Ascent - I am in on the Vibram testing program. As a contest winner I receive a prototype weeks before it is released to the general public (so a tester in name only). The first week the Firm Ascent was a meathook, the second week it was the straightest thing I ever thrown and I was positive I was going to put it in my bag, the third week it flew like an Archangel and became incredibly uncontrollable.

TeeDevil - A longer TeeBird? Awesome. The Sword actually almost is a longer TeeBird, but I have had on again/ off again love/hate relationships with wide rimmed drivers. During those down periods I do not get more than 10-15 feet with a warp speed driver compared to my TeeBirds. It is a grip thing. I wanted to give the TeeDevil a chance because they have more potential plastic options than Westside, maybe I can find one that feels comfortable in my grip. Three weeks later that experiment was over.

Gold Line Flow - I learned a lot about how important nose angle REALLY is when trying to keep a disc low but still get tremendous distance.

S-Line FD Jackal - I wanted a longer mid, a true control driver that could hold lines without fade but also not be squirrelly. The FD held fantastic anhyzer lines, but that was about it; a one trick pony for me.

Blizzard Destroyers - Basically a flippy Pro Destroyer right out of the box that because it is lighter it will cause less fatigue? Wow, sounds like another magical disc that I had to try. Three of them later I discovered I still get better distance (in relation to the basket) with discs I have better grip on and therefore send on cleaner lines.

Any Star San Marino Roc that is not my original dyed 173g - For whatever reason I hit a homerun with that first Roc. It has tremendous glide, equal-to-none accuracy, and just feels great in my hand. Every Star San Marino I have tried since is a glideless piece of plastic that is incredibly difficult to aim. At least the Star Ranchos were more controllable until I switched over to Icon Ghosts (which fly almost identical to this original Roc).

Pigs - Titanics - Summits - Darts - Challengers - JuJus - Pures - Each for their own reason. I hate putters because of how they always break my heart. The first few weeks I keep feeling I have found the putter that I can use to the end of time. And then, my putting woes start back in. I have no illusions that it is me causing all the problems, not the putters. The only putters I have mildly tolerated are the Neutron Anodes, Neutron Ions, Eclipse Ions, and S Voodoos.

MVP products (sorry fanboys,wasted alot of time and money trying to throw bull****) and most swedish plastic. especially rivers

Latest posts