• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

distance secrets to tomahawks?

dukdukgolf

Birdie Member
Could someone that can throw tomahawks/thumbers far give me a couple tips for distance? Ive been throwing them a few months and really cant break like 200ft. I throw a Z flick 168g. I really just one step from my feet being together then stepping forward with front foot.

accuracy is very good but just cant get it out there for distance. from videos and other threads ive read i think it has to to with my wrist or not using my weight enough and leaning forward through the shot. Could be something totally different though so any hints would be nice.

lastly when im throwing rhbh im always thinking,"be smooth" "slow it down". does this idea apply to tomahawks? Is there anything else i can concentrate on to help me?

ty

First off, Im far from an expert, but I do throw alot of overhands throughout my rounds as its come pretty naturally.

The two biggest things Ive noticed that help maximize my distance are having a good grip and following through far. The grip needs to be pretty tight for me to eliminate OAT in turn eliminating any wobble. this wobble will just kill the turnover while the disc is in the air. The follow through is probably the biggest part for me. I focus on following all the way through with my upper body. My throwing arm ends up almost all the way to the ground after i release. I think this gets more of my body weight behind the throw.

As I said Im no expert, but I hope this helps!

defintely. If i don't focus on smooth follow through my arm feels the pain. My thumbers will take a lot of my arm strength out if I don't finish the throw with the correct follow through.

advise from the guy who has been labeled a tomahawk cheater :)

I'd use the most overstable distance driver in your bag. I use a tee rex with my pseudo-thumber that gets me 300 ft all day. overstable discs will keep it flying as long as possible upside down without turning over. Once it turns back after that swooping reverted flight, its ready to come straight down. Give it plenty of height too.

My pseudo-toma-thumber is thrown like a baseball with a flick off my middle finger. Try to hold it like a thumber (bottom of disc pointing away from your body) but move your index finger towards the middle of the disc and put as much of your middle finger on the inside lip of the disc (like you're making a peace sign). Your thumb and index finger will only steady the disc while all the power comes right off your middle finger. If you throw it like a baseball pitcher nice and high with the right flight-path, you can maximize your distance with this shot. Give er a try

I'd use the most overstable distance driver in your bag. I use a tee rex with my pseudo-thumber that gets me 300 ft all day. overstable discs will keep it flying as long as possible upside down without turning over. Once it turns back after that swooping reverted flight, its ready to come straight down. Give it plenty of height too.

My pseudo-toma-thumber is thrown like a baseball with a flick off my middle finger. Try to hold it like a thumber (bottom of disc pointing away from your body) but move your index finger towards the middle of the disc and put as much of your middle finger on the inside lip of the disc (like you're making a peace sign). Your thumb and index finger will only steady the disc while all the power comes right off your middle finger. If you throw it like a baseball pitcher nice and high with the right flight-path, you can maximize your distance with this shot. Give er a try

Do you have a picture of this grip?

First off, Im far from an expert, but I do throw alot of overhands throughout my rounds as its come pretty naturally.

The two biggest things Ive noticed that help maximize my distance are having a good grip and following through far. The grip needs to be pretty tight for me to eliminate OAT in turn eliminating any wobble. this wobble will just kill the turnover while the disc is in the air. The follow through is probably the biggest part for me. I focus on following all the way through with my upper body. My throwing arm ends up almost all the way to the ground after i release. I think this gets more of my body weight behind the throw.

As I said Im no expert, but I hope this helps!

good advice ty. Ya i think the follow through is what im really going to work on. I think it will help me put my weight into my throws. ty

You're gripping it with a forehand grip and throwing it from over your head, right? This doesn't sound like a thumber at all. It sounds like your standard "hammer" throw, or what I always thought was called the "tomahawk" in disc golf. :confused:

your release point needs to be in a straight line to the ground. i mean that your leg through your arm over your head should be in a straight line, this makes your release go further and offer more control.

is it not tomahawk when fingers inside rim and thumber when its flipped over amd thumb is inside lip??

all and all its overhand but how you hold it effects how it flies and falls when turning over

what he means is the bottom of the disc is facing left like a thumber only he holds the disc between his pointer and middle finger, while a thumber is between the thumb and pointer, make sense?

what he means is the bottom of the disc is facing left like a thumber only he holds the disc between his pointer and middle finger, while a thumber is between the thumb and pointer, make sense?

ugh... no, that made it worse...

first i had it... and now... you confused me somehow...

IN the lip
fingers = tommy
thumb = thumber

fingers... but with weak toss, hammer? no dbl helix, just a swooping left to right, landing on flight plate kinda shizz

just a guess... or hypothesis ...

yes, less stable turns quicker, usually more consistantly, should be more accurate w/ the loss of some distance

Try to hold it like a thumber (bottom of disc pointing away from your body)

I don't know, but to me when you say the bottom of the disc is pointing away from your body, that means to the outside, which means a tomahawk grip, not a thumber grip. Because your thumb is on the inside, towards your body. :confused:

This is from a post in the quipment forum that I just did talking about the Epic, but it might help you in telling what I have observed from moving from the Epic to a Flick.

I used an Epic last year. I got amazing distance on a couple shots when tuned a little understable(rhbh anhyzer w/huge snap = monster s curve), but the tuning is a problem. How much to tune? You won't really know if it was enough until you throw. Plastic also has a 'memory', so how often/much do you need to re-tune? Did you hit a tree or have a hard landing? What did that do to your last tuning? It's way too variable to perform consistently so I ended up giving it to a friend to screw around with.

Basically, if you aren't looking to use the crazy dive-bomb overstability out of the box then the Epic isn't worth your time or money.

Yeah, it got to be to where I think I would really need to test the tuning on it for a while and throw multiple tommys/thumbers in a row to get it right. I actually think after a couple tunings for understable that it got worse so I went ahead and got a Flick to use and keep the Epic to screw around with.

Epic out of the box, I would get 5 or 6 flips, which really kills your distance. The Flick, I get 2-3 flips and that disc is about as overstable as they come, and fast as hell.

The trick is on that last flip, to get it to stop flipping when it is falt paralell to the ground; then you can get some huge distance. I just havent found that sweet spot for a while.

END

SO I believe in fast overstable discs. I played center field as a kid in baseball so a lot of times, I go for the thumber, step into my left foot (RH) and follow through. Im not pro, because really I think the OH throws take a lot out of you to do it a lot, but hope it helps.

This is from a post in the quipment forum that I just did talking about the Epic, but it might help you in telling what I have observed from moving from the Epic to a Flick.

Yeah, it got to be to where I think I would really need to test the tuning on it for a while and throw multiple tommys/thumbers in a row to get it right. I actually think after a couple tunings for understable that it got worse so I went ahead and got a Flick to use and keep the Epic to screw around with.

Epic out of the box, I would get 5 or 6 flips, which really kills your distance. The Flick, I get 2-3 flips and that disc is about as overstable as they come, and fast as hell.

The trick is on that last flip, to get it to stop flipping when it is falt paralell to the ground; then you can get some huge distance. I just havent found that sweet spot for a while.

END

SO I believe in fast overstable discs. I played center field as a kid in baseball so a lot of times, I go for the thumber, step into my left foot (RH) and follow through. Im not pro, because really I think the OH throws take a lot out of you to do it a lot, but hope it helps.

That you are able to make a Flick flip 2 to 3 times tells me you got hella arm strength.

That you are able to make a Flick flip 2 to 3 times tells me you got hella arm strength.

lol I just wish I could get the form and technique down to get it to do anything for me. It gets down right frustrating to see some of these real skinny guys crank over 400' like its noting and I have to about throw out my arm to get 300'.

Just goes to show that its all in technique.

Just goes to show that its all in technique.

It's not literally all technique. Case in point: SI recently did a cover story on Mariano Rivera. They cited his unusually "supple" wrists and long fingers as important ingredients in his pitching ability. I think there's quite a bit of innate talent invovled that we're not giving its due credit.

I throw a thumber quite a bit. The key for me tends to be the grip and really pushing down on the inside of the rim hard with the thumb on release. If I have a weak grip and no snap or push with the thumb I get a lot less distance. That's OK for throwing over a tree or laying up and approach, but it kills a long drive.