• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Diversifying putters

If it works, or you like it, roll with it.
If it doesn't work, or you see no advantage, kick sand at elmexdela.

We're talking a pretty small number of strokes per round with this scenario.

I stole the idea from you. I really hope the Star Mystere comes into being, as well as a champ version.

Not my original idea, but feel free to steal and use it. The more, the merrier, as that'll make it so all the faster...

Either the S-CD3 or production Star Mystere is going to be the last piece of my core bag's "puzzle". Whichever works best....

If the putter is no good for you at 35', for God's sake why are you using it at 15'? You could throw a shoe from 15'. :|

I mentioned 35 ft. as my own range where I start changing from my splush stroke to a stronger spin putt and then into a throw at longer distances. And that's a general guess, a thousand pardons if I actually am at 40-45 ft. before doing that. Everyone else's distances may vary, of course.

As to which putter at which distance, that's a personal and individual thing. All in all, whatever works...

If I am approaching a short shot and intending for it to go in, I'm using the same disc every time. I feel like it takes away a choice and keeps me focused on that shot, whether it's a 10' putt, a 35' anny putt around a tree, or a 50' soon putt through a tunnel. That's just what I prefer though, but I used to switch around and use "putter x" for this and "putter y" for that, but I score better with just the one mold.

...For example, do you feel like you can spin putt either under branches or from 70'+ but your Daggers are either uncomfortable or drop from the air too soon...

Oh now this makes sense. I am starting to think that Ricky's choice of a specific putter for spin putts might have less to do with effective range and more to do with alternate putting stroke. Normally he tosses those Daggers pretty high up there, maybe it's easier to sneak a Judge under some branches or around an obstacle with a spin stroke.

Oh now this makes sense. I am starting to think that Ricky's choice of a specific putter for spin putts might have less to do with effective range and more to do with alternate putting stroke. Normally he tosses those Daggers pretty high up there, maybe it's easier to sneak a Judge under some branches or around an obstacle with a spin stroke.

Yeah they are faster/shallower from what I remember Daggers feeling like. Makes sense they work better for a snappy putt vs. his normal putting stroke. A spin putt and a normal "spush" type putt have 100% different form, I can't spin putt worth crap so I get how different they are, and how the same person may even prefer different molds for them. I'm at the point where I'm so bad at spin putts it doesn't matter what you'd put in my hand, so I don't need another mold for it.

I have a love/hate relationship with guys who carry lots of different putter molds.
I have never seen one that putts well, =extra stroke here and there for me!:D
When they miss, they can never seem to shut up about how they picked the wrong putter:wall:

You could throw a shoe from 15'. :|

This is such a good point, and one that is too often overlooked (IMO).

I admit, however, that sometimes I prefer to throw a boot rather than a shoe. They have better grip in wet weather conditions, plus the extra weight can help if it's windy.

Exactly. I pop putt Envys and Atoms but spin putt the VooDoo and Roach.

I have a love/hate relationship with guys who carry lots of different putter molds.
When they miss, they can never seem to shut up about how they picked the wrong putter:wall:

I am the most consistent putter in the group I play with, but I use different putters based on what type of shot I am doing, not on range.....I get my butt kicked on my lacking in my midrange/approach game. :(

Yeah, I come back to this over and over in different scenarios but my bottom line is you have to execute a shot. Anything that makes you sit there thinking about which disc you should use instead of executing the shot is not good IMO. If the putter is no good for you at 35', for God's sake why are you using it at 15'? You could throw a shoe from 15'. :|

This just in , the gateway SHOE! It has a long pointed edge, grip on the bottom is rugged and it has laces! To snag the chains!!! :D

I am the most consistent putter in the group I play with, but I use different putters based on what type of shot I am doing, not on range.....I get my butt kicked on my lacking in my midrange/approach game. :(

Different putters, or different molds of putter?

Different putters, or different molds of putter?

Different molds. Envy, Atom, Zone, Voodoo is my current line up; the VooDoo gets swapped out according to the course.

The Envy and Atom are very similar, the Envy is just a touch slower with more glide... I use the Electron Envy as my putting putter switching to the Atom if i need it to sit down faster.

The Envy is for my standard pop putt.
The Zone is for upshots and hard headwind putts.
The Atom is for Anny spin putts.
The Voodoo( Roach, Spin, Pure) are for hyzer spin putts or hard tailwind putts.

Many rounds, I will never putt with anything other than the Envy. The others are for utility putts.

...now this doesn't include the 3 other Envys I bag for driving and upshots... :)

I'm of a slightly different mind.

For longer jump putts I will usually use a more beat up (less OS and glidier) Wizard than My putting Wizard. But 1/3 of the time, I will run those longer jumpers or pure spin putts with my very beat Scale, so I can give it some snap but trust it not to glide by.

But I definitely think you ought to stick within a single mold and just use more and less beat up versions.

I use a approach putter/long putts same thing and a putter Labeled them so I know which is which, both are now Jawbreaker Magnets as of August 2017, still have my Hard pre 2006 stiff Pro D Magnet as well for windy days. All are 173-174 grams and the Magnets with the Jawbreaker ones having the same placement of the Pro D Magnet circle drawn on them in Sharpie as I use that for thumb placement.

Not my dad he has 3-4 putter molds, one is his approach only Lighting Rubber putter the other is his soft Pro Ryhno the old ones, he would get R-Pro now and a Ching Juju in supreme plastic that is his Main putter, using the Soft Pro Rhyno as his wind putter or if he has missed a few times with the Juju putter. He also has a Hard Wizard but that was his first putter ever before getting the Pro Rhyno as his putter, not sure if he still uses the Wizard. He complains more about using the wrong midrange or fairway driver, he has too many midrange's for his game.

Last edited:
I push putt with a protege Clutch, the stiffer the better. Outside my push putting range I spin putt with a gravity Clutch. I like to get my thumb "into" the flight plate on longer spin putts and feel more confident with the extra grip. I think the softer grippier gravity plastic sits better when I miss.

I push putt with a protege Clutch, the stiffer the better. Outside my push putting range I spin putt with a gravity Clutch. I like to get my thumb "into" the flight plate on longer spin putts and feel more confident with the extra grip. I think the softer grippier gravity plastic sits better when I miss.

I do a spin push a putt with spin and push on it with more spin the further I am back. Hey nice disc choice, Jawbreaker is nearly the same plastic. Sits well when I miss too but it is just that the hard Pro D is not the kind of disc I want anymore, the old type pre 2006 hard stiff Pro D is what I really like even the Clutch does not make a disc this stiff and I see why, they nearly flirt with the laws of having a disc too stiff for PDGA Rules. Now I like the Lighting Prostyle U-2 for my uphill and downhill putting so I thought Jawbreaker would be a tacky more rubbery plastic but not floppy like the DGA signature line of putters. I was right, like a more stiff Prostyle putter when new not a R-Pro floppier plastic.

I play with a lot of different putters, but usually only bag 1-2. I'll throw them :\:\for a month then switch out. biggest difference for me is if I'm packing a putter too light for wind conditions. then I throw a mid and usually regret it.....

I don't know if I'm answering OP's query or not but here's what I do (which isn't necessarily an indicator of success):

DX Polecat: Do-it-all approach disc. Will occasionally putt with it on putts longer than I feel comfortable jump-putting but mostly I try to throw it in. Makes a good 'fast green' putter b/c the blunt rim doesn't catch edge and roll easily. Can be risky in the wind.

Terra Plutonium : Do-it-All putts. I don't put very much spin on my putts but the Pu handles all of 'em. It jump-putts okay but has little glide so not ideal for Ricky style long putts. I use a beat Pu for stable-understable drives.

SP Breaker: Windy putter and overstable-stable drives. Also sees FH duties.

So my game is a lot more reminiscent of an older school approach like Mark Ellis where a lid eats up a lot of those Ricky range long putts so for me to have a putter specifically for that (like a Dagger) is probably not beneficial. That's a skill that you really have to practice IMO, rather than finding the right disc and letting it do the work. So yes I do believe in diversifying putters for all throws considered but for putting specifically I'm more of a mold minimalist, keeping the variables to a minimum by using the same putter as much as possible.

Latest posts