• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Diversifying putters

Alexplz

Double Eagle Member
Had a hard time coming up with a title BTW, but hear me out :doh:

I re-watched Ricky's ITB for 2017 yesterday and it got me thinking.

The portion I've queued up for your viewing pleasure is Ricky talking about his putting putters - he carries a couple of burst Daggers of course, but he also carries a Judge for spin putting.

Now, this guy is a bit of an outlier when it comes to hitting long putts, using that incredibly powerful push/spush technique with a ton of nose down and lower body involvement to nail putts at 50' on the reg. In fact, I can't specifically remember seeing footage of Ricky running it with anything other than a Dagger... maybe at 100 ft he is trying to throw in a judge?

I'm no Ricky, but I do use Daggers and largely emulate his in the circle form. The video got me thinking... should I toss in a Judge in the bag and use it entirely for long go-fors? He specifically states that he would use the judge for spin putting, and doesn't mention the effective range for this technique or anything like that.

I am imagining using the judge for longer putts or really long go-fors. The funny thing is, I can't imagine throwing a judge at the basket at 100' is going to do anything for me than add strokes, and give me a throw in MAYBE 10% of the time. If I was going to try and make anything from what amounts to short approach distance, it would probably be a rhyno on an anny that flexes out and lands flat.

What do you guys think - does it make sense to emulate Ricky's bag and throw in a spin-putt specific disc? Or is it better to play safe with my mortal-level skill and putt with the Dagger when appropriate and lay up outside my effective range?

Its not all that uncommon to have lighter weight and/or more neutral putter for longer, uphill, tailwind, etc putts. I carry 2 KCs. One with the new knocked off a bit that's my main putter and one that's much more seasoned for this exact reason.

I'm of a slightly different mind.

For longer jump putts I will usually use a more beat up (less OS and glidier) Wizard than My putting Wizard. But 1/3 of the time, I will run those longer jumpers or pure spin putts with my very beat Scale, so I can give it some snap but trust it not to glide by.

But I definitely think you ought to stick within a single mold and just use more and less beat up versions.

Do you have the technique to spin putt and/or get the disc there from a far range? Do you use that technique often? If so, do you feel your current putter limits your ability to do this? For example, do you feel like you can spin putt either under branches or from 70'+ but your Daggers are either uncomfortable or drop from the air too soon...if so then consider adding a mold. If you simply need to practice another putting technique, then IMO a different putter mold isn't as useful as practice.

To me it's like a BH player wanting to learn forehand, and thinking they need a Firebird/FD3 or Destroyer to FH because that's what McBeth uses. IMO they should learn to forehand what they have like a Teebird and mids and understable discs, and once they see the limitations of those discs then for sure add another mold.

Its not all that uncommon to have lighter weight and/or more neutral putter for longer, uphill, tailwind, etc putts.

I do this with my Serpent. I use it for 50 feet and longer (give or take). I never circle putt with it (unless it's cleaning up a five-footer and that's the disc I happen to grab blindly reaching in my bag's putter compartment)

I have been called a Putter W****, but i tend to carry 4 to 6 different molds in my bag. I know what each is going to do and use them as needed.

I didnt start out carring that many though, I added them slowly learning one mold at a time.

Thats a long winded way of saying that I think you should try a second mold, but start out with your standard putt and work outward from there.

^ My god man--that is as many molds as I have in my entire bag on most days.

Yeah a putter mainly for those longer putts - Typically a more beat up version of your regular putter is a good way to go. I just use an electron atom as its really nice for long putts

I use Luster Champion Rhynos to putt with (possibly the most glideless putter this side of a Stego) and an R-Pro as a get out of jail disc and long putter. For the last couple of years, I've had something similar with my JK Aviars (had 4 at one point, 2 for putting, 1 for approaches, and 1 for long putts, with an R-Pro Rhyno for annies, get out of jail shots, touch flicks, etc.

Yeah a putter mainly for those longer putts - Typically a more beat up version of your regular putter is a good way to go. I just use an electron atom as its really nice for long putts

I settled on Atoms a few months ago. Personally, I'm throwing the same putter for all putting duties. I feel like I can dial in how one putter performs easier than two, and adjust my target angle and release accordingly based on distance, wind etc.

Of course my putting sux, and haven't worked much on a jump putt. Things may change as I progress.

I typically will jump putt (outside of 40' or so) with a Spike instead of my normal Pure. It's less stable which tends to finish flatter and less likely for that curl away thing that hyzering putters can do on the ground.

What is your distance limit is with your main putting putter using your normal putting stroke? It may be 30 ft., it may be 50 ft., but get that determined.

Outside of that, what do you do? A backhand throw? A spin putt with more wrist or arm power into it? A push putt with more weight transfer in your legs, i.e. pushing off harder? A harder push-putt fling at the chains (thinking Sarah-Hokom-style on that)? A jump putt? Your style will help determine the putter you need, which may or may not be the same as your main putting putter.

For me, I tend to start spin putting and then a backhand throw as I get further out. And I putt with the Deputy but get the Fuzion Warden or Star Stud for the longer ones (outside of 35 ft. Or so). Which putters are best for you can be determined by only one person: you.

It is probably not a good idea to be switching to different putter molds while you are still at the circle's edge. No matter what advice you might have just read. That's the range where you really need to be focusing on keeping the same consistent feel and stroke that you'd use at 15 feet.

Different people have different ranges. Each individual has their own range, and should determine it.

And OP, don't be afraid to use different molds for different distances, especially if that is what works for you. Using the same mold might limit you. Or not. Make that determination for yourself, despite what you might've read above.

It is probably not a good idea to be switching to different putter molds while you are still at the circle's edge. No matter what advice you might have just read. That's the range where you really need to be focusing on keeping the same consistent feel and stroke that you'd use at 15 feet.
Yeah, I come back to this over and over in different scenarios but my bottom line is you have to execute a shot. Anything that makes you sit there thinking about which disc you should use instead of executing the shot is not good IMO. If the putter is no good for you at 35', for God's sake why are you using it at 15'? You could throw a shoe from 15'. :|

Latest posts