• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much can we know about our throw using only TechDisc?

Would the data change based on elevation and if so what do we do to modify it? I might be over thinking it but everything in elevation seems to be different for me so why not the data lol.

Would the data change based on elevation and if so what do we do to modify it? I might be over thinking it but everything in elevation seems to be different for me so why not the data lol.
The flight model would have to change, but the raw data of your swing is not altered by elevation. The flight model from the techdisc is by far the least helpful thing it offers imo.

Of course some people are going to use this in dumb ways (or counterproductive ways, maybe it's not "dumb" if they're still having fun doing a leisure activity). But some people review form videos in counterproductive ways. Some people do fieldwork in counterproductive ways. Some people get live coaching in counterproductive ways. If the downside of something is "but some people will continue to be people and do things counterproductively", then all that's really saying is that human beings are going to use it the way that human beings do.

By that logic, disc golf bags and carts are a bad thing, they only encourage people to carry too many discs. Disc golf manufacturers are a bad thing because they push people to solve their problems by buying new discs instead of fixing their swing. Disc golf courses are a bad thing because they encourage people to play and screw around instead of practicing. EVERYTHING is "bad" if you determine it's bad simply by the fact that some people will use it in ways you would prefer they not.

As an aside, last night was the first time people came over to use it for fun. I told them what my MPH typically averages out to and let everyone guess what theirs would be. They all throw shorter than I do, so their guesses were quite low. There was absolutely a moment of "woah, what?" when they realized most of them throw pretty close to the same disc speed as I do. Even the ones who throw 50-75% of the distance.

I thought all would enjoy seeing (and comparing) the TechDisc numbers for most of the Top 15 Power Throwers. You can see each thrower individually if you go to my IG profile (snip)
I love charts like this. I think in the future you might put together a top 10 or top 15 for MPO and FPO fields, respectively. I think it would be good to see more than a few females on a list like that. There's a few who crush, and if anything it would give the ladies more examples to check out. 🙂

Anyone wanna talk about Ella and GG's nose angle....

Uhhhhh holy crap. Does anyone realize how much of a dirt diver that would be for any of us mortal folk?

"My body has learned to throw in a specific way for the specific disc I prefer...which seems fairly likely given that I was throwing Shrykes before I could throw it 400 feet...and it seems unlikely I just lucked my way into the exact disc for what my form WOULD be today when i started throwing it a few years back."
I just posted a full review and takeaways of my experience and gains after a month of use with my Tech Disc driver - a Force here: Who is Using Tech Disc and is it Accurate?

The biggest thing I hear reading your post is possibly how you use it to practice. Are you just throwing into a net as hard as you can? Or are you throwing shots visualizing a tee pad and course somewhere? It's important, and I learned that early on. What I was doing with full-on yeet-throws into a net never transcribed into the field. You have to feel and experience the same thoughts and anxieties as you would on the course.

I just posted a full review and takeaways of my experience and gains after a month of use with my Tech Disc driver - a Force here: Who is Using Tech Disc and is it Accurate?

The biggest thing I hear reading your post is possibly how you use it to practice. Are you just throwing into a net as hard as you can? Or are you throwing shots visualizing a tee pad and course somewhere? It's important, and I learned that early on. What I was doing with full-on yeet-throws into a net never transcribed into the field. You have to feel and experience the same thoughts and anxieties as you would on the course.
Mostly on ripping it hard. That's primarily what I'm working on though. My 400 foot accuracy is pretty good. That has more to do with having a net than tech disc though. The advantage of the net is you can feel free to rip into it and work on fast-twitch muscles without the inconvenience of worrying about "where did that disc go". That's also the #1 thing I'm trying to overcome on the course during the "offseason". Letting myself just relax my body, not aim as much, and just "rip" the disc hard in situations where I can benefit from extra distance but don't need it to be very controlled.. Right now there's very little difference in distance between my perceived "aim this shot" and "let it fly". They all turn into "aim this shot".

Ditto for my form. My form tends to be pretty good for what my brain deems "control shots"...but gets out of sync when I feel like I want to throw it really hard. The tech disc/net combo has been fairly good to this point at not just helping me tweak form, but in giving me the confidence that my ripped shots can still be pretty good without sometimes spraying discs everywhere.

At my level, when I "let it fly" everything starts breaking down. 😂 That said, I like the idea of using visualization and making the most of each throw, instead of just ripping into the net. I think that let's you get more out of each throw, and therefore requires less throws. You can put select up to 30 throws and put them into a throw set, so you could do warm up throws, then 30 calculated throws, with a bit of rest and analysis between each one. My goal going forward is 30 backhand and 30 forehand shots with that mindset at start. And maybe down the line do a smaller set of hyzer, flat, anhyzer throws for each type.

Just saw this great write up of someone's progression journey with tech disc to guide them during winter.

I liked this person's strategy for using the tool overall. Important to note how he applied changes between sessions with the disc. I nudged to share results once they are back outside.

I liked this person's strategy for using the tool overall. Important to note how he applied changes between sessions with the disc. I nudged to share results once they are back outside.
My only question on the strategy is I'm not sure I love throwing 20 full sends and then picking "the best 5" (by whatever criteria) to analyze. Particularly given his penchant on some of the data sets to throw hard but into the ground. If I throw 20 full shots, pick 5, and I'm throwing 17 shots straight into the dirt but 3 shots with a positive launch angle...I'd want to know that because that's far worse than throwing a few MPH slower but consistently. Or more realistically...I gain 50 feet on 10 throws, the other 10 throws I lose 150 feet on because I threw them into the ground.

I'm assuming he did that to some extent, but I'd care a lot more about the averages and spreads of the 20 shots than cherry-picking only the 5 "best" (or only throwing 5 full sends with Tech Disc and analyzing those). I think you run some pretty significant risk of mis-analyzing what's really happening when you start trying to pick your "best" of anything and then attribute that as "you".

My only question on the strategy is I'm not sure I love throwing 20 full sends and then picking "the best 5" (by whatever criteria) to analyze. Particularly given his penchant on some of the data sets to throw hard but into the ground. If I throw 20 full shots, pick 5, and I'm throwing 17 shots straight into the dirt but 3 shots with a positive launch angle...I'd want to know that because that's far worse than throwing a few MPH slower but consistently. Or more realistically...I gain 50 feet on 10 throws, the other 10 throws I lose 150 feet on because I threw them into the ground.

I'm assuming he did that to some extent, but I'd care a lot more about the averages and spreads of the 20 shots than cherry-picking only the 5 "best" (or only throwing 5 full sends with Tech Disc and analyzing those). I think you run some pretty significant risk of mis-analyzing what's really happening when you start trying to pick your "best" of anything and then attribute that as "you".

Right, I was going to mention that on Reddit but didn't feel like being too confrontational. That was part of why I want to hear & see more about what happens when he gets away from the net and back outside.

I think most players have the experience of hitting some minority of throws that are significantly better than the rest and then have trouble replicating it. Even without TechDisc I find it more informative to share or review "median" throws that better represent the form at the time. If you want to improve your "full send" range after a warmup it's usually a better long run strategy to evaluate all 20 of those throws.

To be more clear about the parts I did like, I think it is wise to work on the form (mediating variable) for a bit before staying too close to the moment to moment TechDisc outputs in this case. It seemed like he deliberately spaced the TD sessions out with several days of camera and form work. I also perhaps differ slightly than some in the opinion that armspeed/release speed can be a meaningful variable because it is important to notice when it moves up and why, and it is a primary variable in distance, which is what most players are pursuing. The tradeoff of course if you only do it inside and only 5 out of 20 throws is that it can lead to a dysfunctional form. So I will eagerly await any results about real-world performance and consistency.

I hope it works out for the guy, but to me that is...a little bit of a stretch to say you hit your 450' golf line goal purely based off of techdisc data, and even the data he posted has some weird stuff shown for launch angle.

I've only had mine a few days but this is my biggest challenge. I actually throw significantly slower when my ADD kicks in and I just throw. I have visualize like I am at a course. I try to see a specific hole in my head and pick a line by picking an aim point through the net which may be a coat hook in my garage. Being patient and intentional with your throws is key.

ETA - it is kind of like if you are a golfer and go to the range and just bang balls until the bucket is empty instead of taking your time and engaging your routine every time. Golf ranges and sims have an advantage in that they usually have a hole to aim and and orient to vs a just a net. I need someone to paint a disc golf hole mural on a sheet for me to hang.

Last edited:
I hope it works out for the guy, but to me that is...a little bit of a stretch to say you hit your 450' golf line goal purely based off of techdisc data, and even the data he posted has some weird stuff shown for launch angle.
I forget if this picture made the rounds here, but one of the things I do in my "day job" is work with either making new technologies for old problems, or using old technologies in new ways. It occurred to me at one point that even among "serious scientists" this idea applies:

1706294543725.png

It doesn't look the same for every new technology, but it's crazy to me how well that idea describes a lot of what happens in science and tech.

Being almost brand new, TechDisc is in the ascending phase on the leftmost part of the graph.

I often work with my research group to try and figure out how to "jump ahead" to the "plateau of productivity" for any given technology.

"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"

this hits a little too close to home
stress i need a drink GIF

Last edited:
Form and feel. This is what I'm focusing on when using my Tech Disc. I finally got a chance to do tests I've been wanting to do for a week since it arrived, that the weather delayed. Love it. I first did my tests with putters in my side yard to validate some real world results (low power throws), and to warm up. Just did a bunch using Tech Disc and for the first time ever I can now control nose angle. It's not great control, but it's control I've never had before. In my mind, this is exactly what this tool is for, but not limited to just this. 🙂

I forget if this picture made the rounds here, but one of the things I do in my "day job" is work with either making new technologies for old problems, or using old technologies in new ways. It occurred to me at one point that even among "serious scientists" this idea applies:

View attachment 331357

It doesn't look the same for every new technology, but it's crazy to me how well that idea describes a lot of what happens in science and tech.

Being almost brand new, TechDisc is in the ascending phase on the leftmost part of the graph.

I often work with my research group to try and figure out how to "jump ahead" to the "plateau of productivity" for any given technology.
Pretty accurate representation of the dunning kruger effect.

I've only had mine a few days but this is my biggest challenge. I actually throw significantly slower when my ADD kicks in and I just throw. I have visualize like I am at a course. I try to see a specific hole in my head and pick a line by picking an aim point through the net which may be a coat hook in my garage. Being patient and intentional with your throws is key.

ETA - it is kind of like if you are a golfer and go to the range and just bang balls until the bucket is empty instead of taking your time and engaging your routine every time. Golf ranges and sims have an advantage in that they usually have a hole to aim and and orient to vs a just a net. I need someone to paint a disc golf hole mural on a sheet for me to hang.
Man...I threw into a net for the first time yesterday at a friends place, not even with a tech disc, and this is so incredibly true.

I am not at all trying to say it is impossible to get benefit from throwing into a net, but it seems like this would take MUCH more discipline to benefit from it than I imagined! The disconnect between actually throwing a disc into a space, and throwing into a net, was extreme to me.

I am not a sports physiologist, but there must be vastly complex things happening in your brain/body/vision that culminate in accurately throwing a disc at an actual target, and the net sterilizes far more of this than I imagined.

In a way, I understand that is kind of the point, but in another way, I don't think its for me anymore lol.