• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much can we know about our throw using only TechDisc?

Net throwing has its place.

When you're focusing on honing in and muscle memorizing form changes it's better.
But I think one of the challenges for people is discipline while using it.

They see they have a form problem, make the change, throw into the net 20 or 30 times, check it and see they were making the change then stop.

Next day they go out onto the course and... they are confused as to why it didn't stick.

Well, its because you did it 20 or 30 times and stopped. That's not enough time to drive the autopilot memory.

Net practice allows you to focus purely on form and take the worries out of finding discs, looking for discs, the flight of the disc any of those things.

Net practice works good with field practice as well.
Take that net throw after 100 or so throws of feeling confident in it, go in a field and see what is going on. Is it good? Bad? Make your adjustments and hit the net again focusing down those adjustments. Put the reps in, make it your standard. And when it comes to the course, the discipline is so hard. We forget what were doing.

This is also why I'm not a huge fan of "field work only" to practice throws, and if you're going to practice "field work" like stuff, you should do it on the course by yourself, throw 2 or 3 drives per hole, build a bag that complements this ability with multiples. That way were taking practice time and building it into course play. Because field work doesn't translate to course play, just like net work doesn't also necessarily transfer to course play.

This is why you see practice rounds with pro players, they are cutting the camera, but they are putting 2 or 3 times every time.

But it's all discipline and its hard.
I've had a harder time with disc golf than any previous sport for some reason. My putt from 6 years ago will randomly pop into my putting style, and I've been using my current putting style for 4 years now and put in 1000's of more strokes with my current putting style. But for some reason that old one I started with years ago likes to appear and my putting goes sooo bad.

And when it comes to form stuff, this applies too. Yesterday started out my first drive with just outstanding form. Second drive. really happy with my form. 3rd drive, good form, started muscling. and it just progressively got worse till I spent 5 or 6 holes trying to focus the basics back into play.
Took 14 holes for my putt to even come out correctly like I like to putt.

The amount of work you have to do in disc golf to stay good is outright insane. If you dont put in the time daily, its SO hard to maintain any level of competency in disc golf.
You gotta putt daily. 10 mins at least. Focus in on the form.
You can do the same easily with a net on throwing too. Spending time focusing in your form for 10-15 minutes too. Hit another putting session for 10 mins when you're done.

I, unfortunately, am lazy and dont do this. So I suck at playing. I can do amazing things, but.. overall consistency of golf is atrocious.

A few days back, I spent a lot of time on bracing drills, and staying "closed". Went straight to the course and shot my second best round ever. I just couldn't stop throwing absolute laz0rbeams.

Yesterday I went the another course, with the idea that I would do the same and I just couldn't get going. 300 with a fairway driver took SO much effort, where as 330 with a mid the other day felt like I barely tried.

We fall back into our "old" habits way too fast for my liking lol..

Good post @Sheep

I have nice space in my basement for a net. I avoided ever buying one until I got a Techdisc though. Throwing a regular disc into a net provides almost zero feedback.

This far for me the Techdisc has been very useful for diagnosing nose angle and giving me great feedback as I iterate on different strategies to adjust it.

A few days back, I spent a lot of time on bracing drills, and staying "closed". Went straight to the course and shot my second best round ever. I just couldn't stop throwing absolute laz0rbeams.

Yesterday I went the another course, with the idea that I would do the same and I just couldn't get going. 300 with a fairway driver took SO much effort, where as 330 with a mid the other day felt like I barely tried.

We fall back into our "old" habits way too fast for my liking lol..

Good post @Sheep

Just the course alone can outright jack your play.

The body WANTS to do habits, it wants to do routines.

This is why I discourage things like continuing to throw ace discs.
Some people can do it. But mentally it can be bad for others. Because you aced hole 7 that one time, you always throw your ace disc on hole 7 now. Your ace was legitimately an accident, as most aces are anyways, and your conscious mind is now expecting you to repeat that error to ace again. Instead everything goes wrong all the time.

Unless you're dialed in your abilities, this just creates really bad issues when golfing. People get upset at me for changing around my bag all the time "That's why you're no good, you change your bag to much."
I disagree. I change my bag all the time to force myself to concentrate on the shot, not "expect" the shot. I played 2 days ago. And of the 21 holes, multiple times I threw very flippy 6 speed fairways... and.. There was 0 flip, or barely any flip, and these are 45° to flat flip drivers. My expectations were broken as I tried to let the disc do it's thing. What was the problem? Me, I was the problem. My form was off, I wasn't concentrating on the right things on the course. just expecting it to happen vs making it happen.

This is why you can go play with players who have atrocious form, atrocious golf abilities, but they shoot -8 on a fairly hard course. There out there with their 13 speed overstable disc throwing it forehand on these massive annies.
But... They are parking the hole. They are making it work. But they have thrown that shot so many times its routine at this point. You take them to a different course, they will shoot +20. Why? they dont have the shot memory to navigate the course.

This is why we can build a new routine for a course, and start shooting good, but then we take that to a different course and our brain turns to routine for that course.

I think with a net and proper discipline, you can eliminate this. Because I think what the issue comes down to is that we are so focused on what the disc needs to do, vs what we need to do.
And when we throw into a net, all we are focused on is what "we" need to do.
Then we need to take that attitude to the tee pad.
Think about our line up, and ignore everything outside of the tee pad at that point and think about what "we" need to do, not what the disc needs to do.
Because when we start thinking about something that hasn't happened, we forget what has to happen.

I have nice space in my basement for a net. I avoided ever buying one until I got a Techdisc though. Throwing a regular disc into a net provides almost zero feedback.

This far for me the Techdisc has been very useful for diagnosing nose angle and giving me great feedback as I iterate on different strategies to adjust it.

I wonder if anyone is using a Techdisc for putting. That might be instructive. Especially if we could get data from the elite putters.

I wonder if anyone is using a Techdisc for putting. That might be instructive. Especially if we could get data from the elite putters.
I think for distance, the numbers to hit for success are pretty objective. There is some variance in speed/spin to debate, but not a whole lot.

When I look at successful pro putters...I can't help but think techdisc stats would be all over the map lol.

Net throwing has its place.

When you're focusing on honing in and muscle memorizing form changes it's better.
But I think one of the challenges for people is discipline while using it.

They see they have a form problem, make the change, throw into the net 20 or 30 times, check it and see they were making the change then stop.

Next day they go out onto the course and... they are confused as to why it didn't stick.

Well, its because you did it 20 or 30 times and stopped. That's not enough time to drive the autopilot memory.

Net practice allows you to focus purely on form and take the worries out of finding discs, looking for discs, the flight of the disc any of those things.

Net practice works good with field practice as well.
Take that net throw after 100 or so throws of feeling confident in it, go in a field and see what is going on. Is it good? Bad? Make your adjustments and hit the net again focusing down those adjustments. Put the reps in, make it your standard. And when it comes to the course, the discipline is so hard. We forget what were doing.

This is also why I'm not a huge fan of "field work only" to practice throws, and if you're going to practice "field work" like stuff, you should do it on the course by yourself, throw 2 or 3 drives per hole, build a bag that complements this ability with multiples. That way were taking practice time and building it into course play. Because field work doesn't translate to course play, just like net work doesn't also necessarily transfer to course play.

This is why you see practice rounds with pro players, they are cutting the camera, but they are putting 2 or 3 times every time.

But it's all discipline and its hard.
I've had a harder time with disc golf than any previous sport for some reason. My putt from 6 years ago will randomly pop into my putting style, and I've been using my current putting style for 4 years now and put in 1000's of more strokes with my current putting style. But for some reason that old one I started with years ago likes to appear and my putting goes sooo bad.

And when it comes to form stuff, this applies too. Yesterday started out my first drive with just outstanding form. Second drive. really happy with my form. 3rd drive, good form, started muscling. and it just progressively got worse till I spent 5 or 6 holes trying to focus the basics back into play.

The amount of work you have to do in disc golf to stay good is outright insane. If you dont put in the time daily, its SO hard to maintain any level of competency in disc golf.
You gotta putt daily. 10 mins at least. Focus in on the form.
You can do the same easily with a net on throwing too. Spending time focusing in your form for 10-15 minutes too. Hit another putting session for 10 mins when you're done.

I, unfortunately, am lazy and dont do this. So I suck at playing. I can do amazing things, but.. overall consistency of golf is atrocious.
Ya, I don't mean to imply its useless, but for me personally it is just not amazing feeling.

Any practice can be watered down to the point of uselessness. For me, field work does not mean chucking discs into a field to see how far they go. I have a park with trees and I practice lacing actual lines, over and over again. I bring a basket to make temporary holes. It is pretty close to actually practicing on a course.

Fieldwork can be overly abstracted, and if that is true, then net work can be even further abstracted from actual, practical disc golf skill. That is all I really meant :)

Ya, I don't mean to imply its useless, but for me personally it is just not amazing feeling.

Any practice can be watered down to the point of uselessness. For me, field work does not mean chucking discs into a field to see how far they go. I have a park with trees and I practice lacing actual lines, over and over again. I bring a basket to make temporary holes. It is pretty close to actually practicing on a course.

Fieldwork can be overly abstracted, and if that is true, then net work can be even further abstracted from actual, practical disc golf skill. That is all I really meant :)

Yeah, I tend to generalize when I talk about "field work."

The problem with talking about some things is that people get tuned out or annoyed when they hear a Generalism and "Well, I DONT DO IT THAT WAY!" they scream and stomp their feet.

Well bro, I'm not talking about you. You're a minority. That's called an "exception."

But, for the general population, it really is "huck discs in fields."
And thats what the general population thinks "field work" is. Go to field and throw discs.

This is also why discipline is a disc golf issue that is a huge plague when it comes to learning. ... Brain went blank. Not routine.. Not guidelines.

But nobody is practicing on a set "plan" if that makes sense. People are not working with a coach, or even trying to come up with some level of practice plan or goals to work through.

When I talk about reps, I mean REPS.
So if you need to practice fixing your off arm your swing, and you know its gonna take 200-300 throws.
You wanna do that in a field, or in a net? I'ma choose net. The actual flight of the disc means nothing.

But when we need to practice 100 foot up shots. 500 reps.
You need to do that in a field/park/course. obviously.

But its not trying to ever shortcut the processes.

Like my issue. Do I know how to be a really really good golfer? Yes.
Why am I not? I have other things to do and I'm not getting paid.

Yeah, I know youre not getting paid either, but you came to me for help, so this is what I suggest you do if you want to get better. That's where the situation comes to.
Setting a plan, going out and GRINDING.
Not getting away from the plan.

BUILD the swing.

Brychanus been like in his basement 2 years, sleeping on a cot. Hitting a punching bag with a hammer.

We got other guys out there like bodanza getting plans from coaches then just flat saying on video that he's going to ignore it and do it his way.

These dudes were trying to fast track you, and you know better?
okay.

Sorry, I'll shut up now.

Either way, the important part with net, field, or any training is discipline and making a plan and sticking to it.
And doing things like finding wooded area's to practice shots.
If you really really ask me, throwing in an open field will never translate to throwing on a course. Your brain knows there is 0 risk when you throw in an open field. You're giving it no data to crunch.

BUILD the swing.

Brychanus been like in his basement 2 years, sleeping on a cot. Hitting a punching bag with a hammer.
I think the net work has done different things at different times for me.

The net has been helpful to pay attention to specific mechanics and put many repetitions in, or more recently few reps with very deliberate practice while placing a bigger focus on body fitness & fundamentals.

The most recent period of net-sanity was convenience because of the new kid, and for whatever reason I'm finding it hard to make progress outside in the winter (maybe/probably bulkier clothes, harder to get and stay warm and flexible, harder to maintain reliable grip, air-disc interactions, etc).

A TechDisc measure that showed my indoor swing was in the ballpark of what film & performance outside showed that I was doing something consistent, but I also still have to work on issues that only tend to occur outside.

So outside is different and preferred for me at this point because it is the closest to the actual task, but I do think it's possible to have a net niche.

I think the net work has done different things at different times for me.

The net has been helpful to pay attention to specific mechanics and put many repetitions in, or more recently few reps with very deliberate practice while placing a bigger focus on body fitness & fundamentals.

The most recent period of net-sanity was convenience because of the new kid, and for whatever reason I'm finding it hard to make progress outside in the winter (maybe/probably bulkier clothes, harder to get and stay warm and flexible, harder to maintain reliable grip, air-disc interactions, etc).

A TechDisc measure that showed my indoor swing was in the ballpark of what film & performance outside showed that I was doing something consistent, but I also still have to work on issues that only tend to occur outside.

So outside is different and preferred for me at this point because it is the closest to the actual task, but I do think it's possible to have a net niche.

I think the key things we need to remember are all tools have their uses. Don't discount them for the sake of some weird feeling. Understand what the tool can do to help you.
Secondly, discipline and reps.
Use the tools to keep you on track, get in reps, clean your swing up. Put in the reps, solidify it. Use the easiest methods possible to get in the reps for that thing your working on.

I genuinely didn't mean to just diss using a net as a whole. I just meant that personally it felt way weirder than I expected it to.

I genuinely didn't mean to just diss using a net as a whole. I just meant that personally it felt way weirder than I expected it to.

Psh,
Your face feels way weirder than I expect it to.

It definitely feels almost totally different to me. I also have to focus a lot more to "commit" a shot into the net compared to when I'm outside. Also easier to get hung up on the wrong details or details that don't matter sometimes.

I have a hard time coming up with a scenario where either a net or a tech disc is helpful to me personally. YMMV. (I guess the net would be helpful for a quick warmup without chasing plastic.)

They do put them on putters, but I think nearly everyone is focused on throwing. I would gladly test putting but unfortunately I went with the fairway driver.

The amount of work you have to do in disc golf to stay good is outright insane. If you don't put in the time daily, its SO hard to maintain any level of competency in disc golf.
Often I have situations in played rounds where I'll just go a stretch of 15 or 30 minutes and I can't throw a disc straight to save my life. Release point early or late, too high or low, angle significantly off. I had this happen last week and I did a few practice throws in a row after a shank off the tee. Effectively 100% shank rate on subsequent throws. A few holes later - back to normal. Really good throws. This aspect of disc golf is mind-numbing.

Often I have situations in played rounds where I'll just go a stretch of 15 or 30 minutes and I can't throw a disc straight to save my life. Release point early or late, too high or low, angle significantly off. I had this happen last week and I did a few practice throws in a row after a shank off the tee. Effectively 100% shank rate on subsequent throws. A few holes later - back to normal. Really good throws. This aspect of disc golf is mind-numbing.
It really is.

I can pick up ball golf clubs and hit fairly fine with a few practice shots and its back quickly.

I can hit balls in baseball, all sorts of other sports..

Most of my basketball stuff comes back pretty quick.

Disc golf though... like.. wtf.

I have a hard time coming up with a scenario where either a net or a tech disc is helpful to me personally. YMMV. (I guess the net would be helpful for a quick warmup without chasing plastic.)
The Tech Disc is best used after warm up throws. I usually throw 10 putters to warm up, and since I use it at the house, I'll throw in my side yard first, putters of course, then the same putters into the net. Once I'm warmed up, then the Tech Disc has some use. But I limit myself to 30 backhand throws per day, and if I do forehands, 30 of those, too. I try for 80% power. Currently I'm just working on one form aspect at a time. But you have to build the use cases for yourself. This is what works for me at least. 🙂

It really is.

I can pick up ball golf clubs and hit fairly fine with a few practice shots and its back quickly.

I can hit balls in baseball, all sorts of other sports..

Most of my basketball stuff comes back pretty quick.

Disc golf though... like.. wtf.
Yeah man, like the worst shanks I've had in basketball and baseball are nothing like this. I can understand hitting a ball with a bat, hand, or foot can have it's own kind of variance, but throwing - we think we have some modicum of control - and we do - but the ease of "out of control" leads to "what just happened" is sky high.