• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

diving for discs

I am thinking about doing it each spring after the thaw on one course specifically. I got like 10 discs this year for very minimal searching and I didnt even go in the water. If i went in I could get a bunch. I would attempt to return any with #'s on them of course, but so few people actually write their info on them it amazes me. It could be a good way to get some funds to buy a bunch of new discs every year.

Once saw someone with only a pair of waiters on walking through water feeling for discs with his feet. Not sure how effective it is but pretty cheap to do so.

I do from time to time but here in Florida you do so at your own risk...gators, moccasins, etc.

Thats funny you have a thread about scuba gear and a thread about disc diving. I see what you've got planned! :)
When I first started playing I played in a tourney and lost like 3 discs in the water. I was super bummed. I went back the next day with a mask, snorkel, fins and an underwater flashlight. If your careful not to stir up the bottom when the light hits any part of the plastic it lights them up like crazy. I found all my discs + about 40 others in about 2 hrs.

a pair of good boots is key..you never know what people throw in creeks, ponds, etc. i have a huge fishing net i use when i feel one with my feet..

wear something warm, thats when the water will be coldest. not sure how deep your looking at going but the mask and underwater light sounds like a solid idea. i've only ever went as deep as shoulder and used bare feet to feel for the discs...probably not the smartest idea but it worked to get my discs back

I always just get in the water and move my feet very slowly feeling for discs. Once you step on one you will know. Pulled up plenty from a hole with very minimal water on a consistent basis doing this.

the problem is that there are a million rocks at the bottom of the water hazard i am diving. today i used my full wetsuit, boots, gloves, mask and snorkel. it seems to work alright, except that i cant see too far down because of how murky it is.

I used to do this quite frequently. My favorite time to go in is during winter so I use a wetsuit. The water never goes deeper than my nose unless it rains a lot and i'm 6 feet tall. I don't really "dive" I just skim with my feet and make tight lines in the pond

My buddies and I used to go in a pond at the course in Franklin, WI. The pond was about 12 feet deep or so, and dropped off very quickly at the sides. We knew tons of people threw discs in there, so as soon as the water got warm enough in may or june we would hop in, bob around the edges feeling with our feet and hands. once the shallows were worked over, we would start working out deeper, basically floating around and diving down 10-12 feet, feeling the bottom with our hands and feet, grabbing whatever felt like a disc. we got a lot this way, oftentimes 25-30 in an hour or so. Then i started to realize that every time i did this, i would have a sore throat and runny nose for a few days. Also, one time we were in the pond and a guy came down to the waters edge, saw what we were doing, and said "I piss in this pond every single day". Nevermind how messed up you must be to drive down to this course and then walk 200 yards just to piss in some pond, and do it every day, the point is this pond is nasty and probably a health hazard so I wont go in anymore, although every year another group of kids figures out that you get free discs from that water and they go in. Nowadays I stick to the tall grass, still do alright finding discs and i don't get sick.

There are 2 courses here in Grandrapids that are great for finding discs in the water. This last year I probly lost 5-7 discs to the water, I go to these parks just to search for discs about once a month in the summer and try my luck feeling around with my bare feet,( i walk slow and careful cause the water is full of broken junk people have tossed in there, its pretty gnarly and horrible water, thats why most people wont do it, more for me!!!) This year i found about 15-20, since ive started discing 15 years ago ive probly found at least a 100 or so. I didnt buy a new disc for about ten years before this year, I wanted some new gear so I got 5 new discs and a innova sport practice basket recently. I love going in the water looking for discs, for me its kinds like fishing, and when I find a nice disc I get really excited, the crappy ones I trade for beer or give em to kids i see plaing without a proper disc.

I wait untill the water levels get low then walk through the weeds, i find lots that way, I wear waders and have a hiking pole, most people at this course think their disc probably went in the water but they are laying all over the place in the weeds

i've seen people do it at lafrinere but i'm not brave enough. it's a man made pond with a concrete wall and a lip about 5' out. there used to be a rake in the tree next to the am tee but of course someone stole it. i'll lay flat on my stomach and dig on the legde sometimes but NEVER go in. there's leaches n can't see more than about 3"s into it.

in ft. lauderdale there were signs all over the water holes warning you not to go in..who wants to dive for a 10 dollar disc in black water with gators? yikes!

in ft. lauderdale there were signs all over the water holes warning you not to go in..who wants to dive for a 10 dollar disc in black water with gators? yikes!

I knew the guy that dove at Tradewinds. Nice big pond but it comes awfully close to that murky canal at the back part of the course. I'd imagine a few gators have found there way into that pond before. I dove there once for a disc I lost on old hole #8 by the boat ramp. Couldn't see more than a couple of feet, but boy what I imagined lurking just out of sight scared the piss outta me!

Latest posts