• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DIY Mini-basket

pointdisc

Double Eagle Member
Made a custom mini-basket last night and figured I'd share it for those interested. The pole is a stand-up lamp that I broke the lighting fixture on and worked out perfectly. All the materials, minus the chain, I already had sitting around and in total I spent about $10 on the basket. It has 24 chains, the basket is a cut-out 5-gallon bucket, catches quite well, and the lamp base is weighted pso it won't tip plus I can add more sections of pole if I want to have 5-foot tall mini basket (pics only have 1 section in them).

0210100744a_280547.jpg

0210100744b_318669.jpg

Materials needed:
Pole - Cheap stand alone lamps work well. You can buy one from any resale shop or break your own
Chain - #16 Jack chain (flower pot chain). I used about 33' for 24 chains.
5-gallon bucket
Ultimate lid - use a crappy one
Book rings - 2 - 1.5"+ diameter. Easier to find than solid rings & cheap
Zip-ties - 12 for inner chains.
Pliers - for chain installation

Assembly:
1) Drill hole through center of ultimate disc. Size depends on type of lamp or pole.
2) Drill 12 holes evenly space along the rim of the lid for outer chains. For my lid, it was about every 7cm to drill. Make sure they're close enough to edge to get the a chain link through.
3) Drill 12 holes through top of lid about 1/2 way in from the edge. Space holes evenly between the outer holes (see pic below). Make sure holes are small enough to stop the square tie part of the zip-ties from pulling through.
0210100744c_267157.jpg

4) Make small loops with 12 zip-ties (about 1/2-3/4inch long). Cut off excess tie & put loops through the 12 holes in the lid.
5) Attach chains to the rim holes & zip-tie loops. Length of chains depends on space between pole sections. Alter accordingly & attach end of chains through the book rings
6) Cut off bottom 2-4" of 5-gallon bucket. I used 4", the black line going through the bucket would be 2".
7) Drill hole through center of bucket base & attach between pole sections. Make sure it's small enough to be threaded onto the threads between lamp-pole sections. I believe mine was 1/2".
8) Assemble all together & enjoy.

I don't recall what size drill bits I use for the ultimate, I just guessed. I also don't remember how long each chain is, but can get that info if needed. If you'd like further pics or info, let me know & I can post it up.

This is how you can tell its winter and people are snowed in too long :D

Very cool though 8)

GOOD JOB!!!! Looks really good.

reminds me of some of the ones i made.. I found Plant bases to use for the top and bottom and because I ran out of Frisbees for the top(and frisbees were more expensive). I had a Full 9hole Mini course at my house, but a friend borrowed a few and he got thrown out of his house. They are probably rusting/rotting away in his parent's backyard still :( Most baskets were elevated for added challenge..
Most were 18 chains I believe. 12 outer and 6 inner, but I'd have to go in the garage and look at them again to know for sure.

and the Super Mini Size!!!

if you want any instructions for how i put it together LMK. I was consider selling them, but after the labor and cost of the chains it wasn't worth it.

nice! i made this one last winter as a result of boredom...
Picture008.jpg

very cool! I dig the ingenuity.

I didn't build one from scratch, but the wife gave me a wham-o mini basket for
Valentines last year and I modified it so it would actually catch normal to heavier
minis as well as better suit my eye.
custumminicatcher.jpg

added inner set of chains
weighted down poll
painted

Latest posts