• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do aces count if they aren't your first throw?

StrikerME02

Birdie Member
So yesterday I was out playing disc golf with one of my buddies. We each throw our drives and then we start throwing some more discs for fun because it's a hole with n elevation change (goes down and then back up. Well on my friends like 5th disc he threw off the tee he throws this huge hyzer and it sink right in the chains (hole was 340ft.).

Would you count this in your ace total. He wrote Ace #2 and other info on the back of his disc.

As cool as it is to have happen, I think this same senario has been debated several times before to the avial of not being able to call it an Ace. I would stick by it, an Ace is an Ace when you get to write one on your scorecard. An Ace is not a for fun throw or a second tee shot for whatever reason.

File this under, "Well, if you have to ask..."

You know I've always wondered what governing body, or spiritual deity was in charge of counting what was an ace and what wasn't, and if they publicly caned you, took away your discs or sentenced you to an extra 50 years in purgatory for counting one that you shouldn't have.

if it was me throwing it, its an ace, hell i need to get atleast one no matter how "fringe"

on the otherhand, most people i play with dont practice in a field, we practice while playing, for our score card, you play your first throw, no mulligans, so he wouldnt get that ace for the card...

but... it is an ace in my mind, came off the tee pad...

sad to see a "practice" ace though, lol too bad it wouldn't count ... 'cept for braggin rights

There are different categories of ace:

1. The best is a clean throw, no skip, no deflection, into the basket on the first throw.

2. The "tried to skip it and it worked" skip ace.

3. The "I can't believe that went in I was just trying to get close" skip ace.

4. The grip locked, miraculously made it through a tree canopy, ricochetted of a tree ace.

5. And last but not least the cleaned out the bag on a short hole and hit it with my twelfth throw ace.

They're all pretty good but none feel as good as #1.

sad to see a "practice" ace though, lol too bad it wouldn't count ... 'cept for braggin rights

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was playing a casual round with a couple of friends before a tournament started and sank an ace right in front of everyone at the tournament. Too bad it was during a practice round, so no ace fund for me. :(

If you are playing a casual round, it's ok to warm up but you need to be specific on which throw you are counting as your drive BEFORE you start throwing. If you throw it in before or after the disc you are counting, then that's awesome I'm happy for you, but I would not count that as an ace. We should come up with a good name for that kind of throw because it's still something to be proud of! :)

Sure your buddy..... we know it was you quit lying. Anyway tell you "buddy" congrats for me , congrats on his "hole in one" that is. not an ace

If he wants to count it as an ace, let him count it as an ace. I wouldn't personally, but I don't see why people care so much what other players count as aces. Either way, it's usually a shot that had the help of some luck and ended up in the basket. As cool as it is to throw one or see one go in, it still doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things what somebody's buddy decides to count.

Latest posts