• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you consider disc golf a Sport or Game of Skill? (Poll)

Do you consider Disc Golf a Sport or a Game of Skill?

• Sport

Votes: 190 60.1%
  • Game of Skill

Votes: 96 30.4%
  • Other

Votes: 30 9.5%

• Total voters
Requirement of good motor skills and stateegery? Tis a sport to me.

1381892430499.jpg

OR -- Ernest Hemingway — 'There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Was going to post this myself. Hemingway answered this question long before DG had even existed so there's really no need to debate it now.

Seriously though, this is a silly question to ask. Sport vs. Game has a huge overlap and there's no way you could ever define them to be mutually exclusive. Of course, not all sports are games (mountaineering for example) and not all games are sports, but many of them, including DG are both.

Disc golf to me is an activity. We sell disc golf as a something that anyone and everyone can do, from the age of 2 to 90+ years old. You don't have to be athletic or in shape. In all sports that I have played, it has required a certain amount of physical athletic training. Disc golf is one of the few activities that I have never had to prepare for physically. Let's keep it real guys, we are just throwing frisbees in a park.

There is an athletic move, and a couple finesse moves, and some mental demands as well. I do not really consider it a sport, but I can consider it a finesse game. If I really had to argue it, there is potential for finesse sport. However, tennis is considered a finesse sport, and every pro tennis player is an athlete. Disc golf has very few true athletes.

It's a largely played game, with a couple finesse sport moves. Much like golf, but less mentally demanding at the professional level.

Neither answer is right or wrong. It depends on ones level of involvement. For some it'll never be more than a game, for others it's absolutely a sport!

Latest posts