• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you ever really use a Glow disc?

For new players, here's the real real:

Glow doesn't really work well for playing night rounds. And, the charging slows you down. Get lights, but get the dimmest lights you can find. You'll need to use expensive tape to stick them on.

LED is far superior (with some Gorilla Tape clear patch and seal), but glow discs work for a lot of our glow weekly players. We run a glow weekly from October to March. Several glow disc, glow tape exclusive players who haven't lost a disc.

I run a weekly glow league. We use color changing LED strips in the top band of the baskets, and tape-on LEDs for anyone who doesn't have glow gear- which work fine except unless you follow application instructions closely you can lose your light, or blind yourself inadvertently.

I prefer glow discs, so I'm building a glow bag- and not just the discs. I'm actually putting UV LED strips on the inside of a foil-reflective interior lunch box that is basically the same size as a small disc shoulder bag. Battery pack goes in the side pouch, and a single 50cm strip of UV "black light" LEDs goes down one corner, across the bottom and up the opposite corner. Inside the bag the discs are bombarded by UV light, and you don't get blinded OR inconvenienced. Every time you pull them out they're as bright as they can possibly be. It's a work in progress but it always seemed like such an easy adaptation, I don't know whY DD etc don't already offer one.

I run a weekly glow league. We use color changing LED strips in the top band of the baskets, and tape-on LEDs for anyone who doesn't have glow gear- which work fine except unless you follow application instructions closely you can lose your light, or blind yourself inadvertently.

I prefer glow discs, so I'm building a glow bag- and not just the discs. I'm actually putting UV LED strips on the inside of a foil-reflective interior lunch box that is basically the same size as a small disc shoulder bag. Battery pack goes in the side pouch, and a single 50cm strip of UV "black light" LEDs goes down one corner, across the bottom and up the opposite corner. Inside the bag the discs are bombarded by UV light, and you don't get blinded OR inconvenienced. Every time you pull them out they're as bright as they can possibly be. It's a work in progress but it always seemed like such an easy adaptation, I don't know whY DD etc don't already offer one.

That....is amazing.

There is a misconception that glow discs are universally more overstable. So a lot of guys throw them as a testament to their manliness.

Lightning discs seem to glow well
They are very affordable and make some good low and mid speed discs
I used them a lot in the late 90s
I rediscovered them in the last few years.
A friend used a lightning glow last Friday night during our round and it was easy to find

I've been trying to find such a thing as a foil-reflective interior lunch box. Got any clues for good search terms or brands, or links?

The GlowBox looks like a slightly expensive ideal solution to this but I'm not sure they ship outside of the US.

I've been trying to find such a thing as a foil-reflective interior lunch box. Got any clues for good search terms or brands, or links?

The GlowBox looks like a slightly expensive ideal solution to this but I'm not sure they ship outside of the US.

I just eBay'd "insulated lunch tote" or something like that and scrolled through the options until I found what I was looking for.

Lightning discs seem to glow well
They are very affordable and make some good low and mid speed discs
I used them a lot in the late 90s
I rediscovered them in the last few years.
A friend used a lightning glow last Friday night during our round and it was easy to find

I agree that with Lighting discs they do glow well but the #2 Driver does not float all that well despite being a floating disc the main reason I had said disc, mine only floated for 15 minutes before sinking, same for my brothers but 20 minutes due to his ending up in water on a calm day. I found the XL to fly like a new #2 Driver and not get as messed up due to the soft durability plastic found in most of the Lighting discs, unless you find the Prostyle plastic for a mold.

Try the foil space blankets and cut -n- tape the parts into a soft cooler or some brand of disc golf bag/backpack made into a Glow box if you can't find the type of cooler with the foil inside. :thmbup:

I agree that with Lighting discs they do glow well but the #2 Driver does not float all that well despite being a floating disc the main reason I had said disc, mine only floated for 15 minutes before sinking, same for my brothers but 20 minutes due to his ending up in water on a calm day. I found the XL to fly like a new #2 Driver and not get as messed up due to the soft durability plastic found in most of the Lighting discs, unless you find the Prostyle plastic for a mold.

The one my friend has is lightning strike out so not sure of the mold. Seems like understable fairway

The one my friend has is lightning strike out so not sure of the mold. Seems like understable fairway

Yeah I currently use a #2 upshot in Prostyle plastic for uphill and downhill putts but it used to be my driving putter as well in the 2000's before the top got the micro waffling pattern. It is getting old and might become a part of my beginner bag, My current set of Jawbreaker Magnets from mid 2017 are starting getting a bit floppy so the more beat in Jawbreaker Magnet that I labeled approach putt for just longer putts might become my uphill/downhill putter. Then the other Jawbreaker Magnet that says putter becomes my longer putter disc with approach written on it and I get a new Jawbreaker Magnet.

I had as first disc a Rubber Putter, mine was light enough to float. They have to be under 175 grams to float and mine was 166 grams that I had before I gave it to my mom to use as an approach putter My mom she likes the Comet for midrange stuff and the Rubber Putter is one of the closest molds to a domed Comet that I can think of. My dad got one at about the same time but his is 174 grams and the modern baseline plastic with the DuPont material added to the disc.

Now as for glow discs the Ones that Innova makes with the Champion are good for glow rounds, they glow better then most others except the Lighting Glow. I have never seen discs glow as well as Lighting Glow.