• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do You Have Pre-Putt Rituals?

I just recently started getting into a pre-putt ritual and it has helped me increase my ..ching-rate we shall call it, by 100%. I don't feel it's a superstition thing or me, just seems to force me to really think about the shot and relax.

1. I always make sure the disc is turned so the stamp facing me the same way every putt.

2. I Physically move my arm in the intended flight path until I feel comfortable with the trajectory ,shifting all my weight onto my front foot with every movement.

3. I make every single putt. Every single time. Sometimes. ;)

Anyone care to share too?

I agree with the less Is more theory. Iam evaluating the put,distance and wind as I'm walking up to the put, one or two practice strokes to get feel for power and height of release and let it fly. Time equals tension for me. How many times have you missed a put you stood over for too long, pick up your mid and hammer the chains out of frustration with out an ounce of thought? Just hammer the chains with your putter the first time.

I agree with the less Is more theory. Iam evaluating the put,distance and wind as I'm walking up to the put, one or two practice strokes to get feel for power and height of release and let it fly. Time equals tension for me. How many times have you missed a put you stood over for too long, pick up your mid and hammer the chains out of frustration with out an ounce of thought? Just hammer the chains with your putter the first time.

I think it does not work that way for me is because I am not thinking of any my shots until I am in position. Personally, I feel mentally drained if I am out there constantly thinking about what I am going to do while I'm walking from point A and point B, ya know.

I'm an easily distractible person. To help clear my mind of distractions, I go through two or three seconds of Ron Russell-like idiosyncrasies (holding the putter above my head, looking at the ground, snapping my wrist repeatedly). If only I could putt as well as him.

I'm a ritual kind of guy, but mostly because it puts you in a state of mind that you've been there before, made that putt before, and as you go into the ritual you are comfortable in what you're doing. Lately I've been getting away from being so robotic with the ritual, but things I always try to keep in mind are.

#1. Breathing. Take 2-3 breaths, exhale when I putt.
#2. Make sure to kick off the back leg.
#3. Wrist pop/finger spring.

If I do those three things, it usually works out.

I look at my marker disc and take a deep breath - in through the nose, out through the mouth - to "clear the mechanism." After that it's probably different every time. I did the same thing before every pitch in baseball, and still do it before every shot in bowling. Just my way to focus and center myself.

If I do those three things, it usually works out.

I think I may hold my breath sometimes when I putt lol I honestly don't know. I will have to see tomorrow

It's funny how very different peoples routines are. Please don't take this as trash talking, but thinking about something as natural as breathing seems bizzar to me. Or even an unnecessary distraction. Not that I am an ace putter or anything. And if your holding your breath, standing over a put for too long is surely a bad thing. If I spend a lot of time on the practice basket, a routine is helpful and translates to a more comfortable feeling on the course. You begin your routine and it takes you to the "zone". But I have to spend a lot of time putting before I get that effect. So the less is more is a lazy way to not get nervous or tense , I guess.

I guess I developed the evaluating your shot as you walk from ball golf. Keeping up with pace of play is a requirement on the golf course. And that style of play doesn't allow time for second guessing your self. Visualize, commit, execute .....best results in all aspects of the game for me. No time for negative thoughts to make you hesitant.

I mark my lie. Assume my stance. Then I swipe my disc across the front of my body twice. Kinda looks like I am swatting invisible bugs around waist level. Then I bring my disc flat and up to the spot I want to release. Then I let it fly.

The whole routine takes about fifteen seconds, including the marking of the lie.

Not sure how I got into that exact routine. I only noticed I was doing it when people I play with began to mock me.

Aim little miss little. I now aim for a single link on one chain. I completely blur out the rest of the basket.

I get into a comfortable stance, take a few deep breaths, check my grip then zone in on my spot.
These three steps from Deadeye are good to have, imo.

Most times I also will check the footing for my back foot by going thru my motion to make sure nothing will mess up my push/kick off.

Stare down the chains crouched and ready to pounch, then when I feel ready unleash the tiger within.

:|

20 push-ups, 10 jumping jacks, 50 deep breaths, intense meditative visualization techniques, and then repeat all of that ten times.

Nah, a pre-putt routine seems silly to me. Just step up and put the biscuit in the basket.

I visualize the putt before I step up to it. Then I resituate my pants, hat, and glasses. Then I step up to my lie, feel comfortable, and putt it in.

Every time I putt.

I get inside my own head and completely psych myself out on that 15' putt.

OK, not always :D

I have 3 baskets at home and NEVER practice putting :thmbdown: