• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you know what Disc Golf lacks?

movable tees

I think we need to accept grass teepads as more of a norm than the exception. This allows for a CD to design many tee locations thus allowing for players of all skill levels to compete on and enjoy the same course. It also gives the CD at least as much, if not more flexibility in creating a tourney layout vrs multiple basket locations.

Granted, the person(s) responsible for course set up would need to both insure the tee area was cut short and moved regularly so it would take more effort.

Since the back 9 of one of my local courses (Dunegant Park) is mainly in a field they clearly marked fairways, out of bounds marked with white polls and they built penalty traps and it is really fun to play. You can't see in this picture but lately they have been cutting the grass on the fairways short and leaving the rest of the grass in the field twice as long so you can clearly see fairways I will take pictures next time I go because they have been doing more to it.
1f030074.jpg

dec2ec61.jpg

6669a103.jpg

35470a7d.jpg

f7037535.jpg

Last edited:
I think we need to accept grass teepads as more of a norm than the exception. This allows for a CD to design many tee locations thus allowing for players of all skill levels to compete on and enjoy the same course. It also gives the CD at least as much, if not more flexibility in creating a tourney layout vrs multiple basket locations.

Granted, the person(s) responsible for course set up would need to both insure the tee area was cut short and moved regularly so it would take more effort.

I agree for tourneys but not for regular day to day play. Grass tees quickly turn into rutted out ankle twisting garbage. One of the local courses where I live (Lake Township) is a great example of that. When I play there I will often move over 10-20 feet to avoid the ruts and injury. Good luck finding a volunteer who has the time/motivation moving tees around to make this a reality.

1) Course Maintinenece
2) Solid Concrete TeePads
3) Cut /groomed fairways
4) Woodchip or cut greens
5) Garbages / benches / stopping point (ie Gazeebo or something)

Some of my favorite courses have most of these....and it really makes a difference.

My dream is to own a bunch of land and build a premier DG course on it. some day.......some day...if I win the lotto....(but I don't even play the lotto)

That's a nice idea, but the grass dies quickly and turns into a mud pit. Then people throw next to the mud pit and create a new mud pit. Eventually you have a mud pit that covers the entire tee area and nowhere with good footing. It's even worst if there are trees around the pad and you end up with ankle breaking exposed roots in the middle of the tee area.

Grass is fine for a temp hole or for a course that gets very little traffic, but for every day play grass just isn't a sustainable option.

After reading this thread, I realized how spoiled I must be for living/playing in Charlotte, NC.

We dont really experience any lack of obsticals, on most courses. Even around the basket. It would actually be very difficult to think of a single hole in the QC that is surrounded by 40ft of open/level ground to putt from. Maybe a few at Sugaw, and Bradford.

As far as "chipping" is concerned, every round I play, where I end up in the rough, it is undoubtedly a lie next to a tree, some green briar, a thicket, ect forcing me into an awkward throwing position, or some unconventional throwing motion. To me that is the exact same intent as a sand trap. I guess my disc golf world is too small.

I havent had the opportunity to play a lot of courses around the US (other than NC & Cliff Stevens in Clearwater). However, I have played a number of courses around Germany, and found them to be very similar. Many of the German courses were shorter, but the challenges were still similar.

I'm from the other side of the fence, where an open course to strecth my arm and drivers is a welcomed mix to my game.

I do like elevated or sunken "Greens". I watched a tourney recently on youtube where many of the greens were surrounded by rail-ties which blocked a number of approaches skipping in. I also saw a few that were terraced in multiple levels, which seemed fun.

I'm ready to see a PDGA A-tier or higher event include Nevin (full long course) in Spring. I'm sure the top pros would rip it up just like all the others, but that is a course that requires focus on every shot! There is no opportunity to relax and just lay into a big hyzer bomb.