• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Does a Eagle complement a River?

Weyums3

Bogey Member
Or is it overlap?

What latitude disc is a good compliment to the River? I love the gold line plastic so id like another Latitude, but have hear good things about innova Eagles.

Last edited:
I know a guy who throws both, and he makes it work. The River is more neutral/understable whereas the Eagle is more overstable. You could also look into a Saint Pro or a Stag if you want to keep the Euro trend going.

saint has turn, you dont want that. saint pro would prevent overlap

I rocked the Stag and the River as my main fairway drivers for about a year. They make a great combo. The Saint would be a tick less stable than the Stag, and the Saint Pro noticeably more stable than the Stag. Personally I think the Stag is the best complement because it's in between the the other two that were mentioned. A max weight VIP Stag, a 160s Tournament Stag, and a River can cover a lot of lines together. Especially as the Tourney Stag wears.

The big advantage with the Saint Pro is that it's way better in the wind. It's a lot less versatile for shaping lines than the Stag, though, especially if you don't have a big arm. It depends what you're looking for.

I tried the Eagle, but it wants a sturdier throw, so switching between it and the River was a bit awkward. The Stag likes a smooth throwing style, like the River, so that helps in moving from one to the other.

The correct answer is a beat dx eagle and a star/champ eagle complement each other better. ;)

I like to have a line shaping fairway and a line holding fairway, hence two teebirds and a crave for me. You could probably rock river/eagle and then saint pro. Or something like dx/star eagle/saint pro. Saint pro is higher speed anyway. Or keep your tb, beat up a dx eagle and throw a star or Champ.

I throw eagles and recommend Champion for a plastic if you throw fairways over 300'. It's been my experience that Champ retains its HSS longer while Lat's Opto tends to be a bit softer with better grip.

If you feel the need to limit yourself and throw only one manufacturer, you should check out Feldberg's in the bag youtube vid where he talks about parking his flat flippy saint pro over 500'. He's also got one for straight and another poppy top for overstable. I'm guessing he'll have to cycle saint pros given they were only approved in October compared to others that throw champ discs for decades. Not that there's anything wrong with cycling just be prepared by getting a few discs of the same run, color, dome, and PLH and you wont be disappointed when you're ready for a backup :)

Last edited:
It definitely gives you something different. One X, L, and a seasoned DX would cover a lot of shot.

For my power, the Saint pairs very well with the River.

An Eagle L would probably overlap a River, but I could see how an Eagle X would be a good compliment, especially in Champion plastic. I prefer a good Teebird over an Eagle X myself, but always bag an Eagle L for my understable slot.

Depends what the River looks like - or how polite it is. Compliments should be heartfelt, and never forced - IMO YMMV.

Latest posts