• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does anyone ever return discs?

great idea though!! hope all works well..i hate being pessimistic about it, but i have seen my share of vandalism to return boxes and baskets/tee signs to last me a lifetime...makes me sick

great idea though!! hope all works well..i hate being pessimistic about it, but i have seen my share of vandalism to return boxes and baskets/tee signs to last me a lifetime...makes me sick

First I totally agree. I can't believe that people treat the course with such disrespect. How some people have the nerve to deface another person's property is beyond me, especially when it is there for them to use and enjoy.

Second, I was shooting a round up at the Brent Hambrick Memorial course on Saturday morning and found a tye dyed champ eagle in the fairway for hole D. I called the number on it and the guy was still playing the course. He met up with me on hole E and I returned the disc. He told me that he just wrote his number on the disc a day or two before. Lucky guy. :)

I have never had a disc returned. I bet I have lost at least 50 over 3 or 4 states. I have heard of friends getting them back.
I did leave my whole bag somewhere once and had it returned by a non-golfer who just wanted to know what the funny plastic things were. I gave him a mid range, a putter, and directions on how to play. Hopefully he used them.

We returned another one today. A nice old...probably late 90s Cheetah (had the same print as our stingray and gazelle) at Tuscawilla in Daytona.

a buddy just found a disc with only a name on it, so he searched facebook, sent a message to the guy, but was told to keep it. i think the guy was just impressed with his desire to return it

Was playing a round in Bucyrus the other weekend and was down by the small river looking for the dx valk that I threw. When I got to the edge, I saw a yellow disc in the water. It was only about a foot or so deep, so I took off my shoes and socks and got it. It was a yellow star max, with name and number on it. Called the guy up the next day, he was happy that he got a callback, said that had never really happened before, he thanked me very much, but told me to keep the discs. Just thought it was funny that he thanked me so much for calling, yet didn't even want the disc back. Guess that shows how many people really return discs. I have called on every disc that I found with a number on it, but have never had anyone call me, yet.

We found a Scream DT yesterday and left it for the guy to come get (per his instructions) because we live 30+ miles from the course we were playing. He didn't even know he had dropped it.

I've actually had two discs returned to me in the last month. Offered the first guy a few bucks for waiting around a couple hours for me to be able to meet him up before heading back to his house which was an hour or so away. He ended up taking $.50 for the phone call he made from the pay phone to contact me. The second(most recent) one was found by a really nice guy. All he asked of me was to return any discs I find with ink, which I already do. We ended up playing a round together and had a great time. Made a new DG friend which I would certainly enjoy carding with again in the future. Thanks for the returns guys, and look foward to doing the same for anyone else! Happy DGing

Found about 220 discs in the past month and a half in the lake at my course. I would guess between 60 - 80 had names & numbers. Most of the people I call either don't call back or say keep it. If a person only has a name, it is difficult to get them back, all I can do is post it on the local message board. However, it is nice to return the go-to-discs. One guy is even sending me a pre-paid Fed-ex envelope so he can get his KC-Pro Gazelle back. Personally, I have had only 1 disc returned.

I'd say in my experience it is definitely the minority when people return discs. Although I did have two returned to me in one day, that was pretty cool.

I found an Innova Champion Wraith yesterday on hole #5 at Little Lehigh Parkway. Called the number on the back immediately. The guy lived fairly close so he drove to the course and met me on hole #8 where I promptly returned his disc. He offered me one of his discs in return which was very kind but I refused.

Hoping disc golf Karma will return one of my lost discs soon....

I found an Innova Champion Wraith yesterday on hole #5 at Little Lehigh Parkway. Called the number on the back immediately. The guy lived fairly close so he drove to the course and met me on hole #8 where I promptly returned his disc. He offered me one of his discs in return which was very kind but I refused.

Hoping disc golf Karma will return one of my lost discs soon....

karma was not keeping the discs. good luck.

I guess I'm sitting in the position of, if somebody dropped $20 out on the course, and you're stumbling around the woods and come across it, are you going to call the number and ask if they want it back if it has one on it? Not the best example, I know, but I see it as much the same.

If the name is somebody I know, definitely I'll give it back.
If the person comes up and says its theirs after I get it, definitely give it back.
If I find it in a stream where with ice still on the edges and a 20 foot vertical bank to get down to it, and it's visible from the top of the bank, I'm not going to worry about it.
If it is worth it to them, the person will find it. I am a very firm believe in this, and I don't truly see how you can say you just can't find it. I've spent many hours rummaging through poison ivy and nettles looking for my discs. I keep looking because it is worth it to me to find them. If its a disc I don't care about I'll say "**** it, lets keep playing."

EDIT: I guess I don't see the whole name/number on the disc being completely valid. I've seen several people on the course with sharpies specifically to write their names on a disc as soon as they find one. I've seen it done on blind throws. I don't take it as meaning it is theirs.

Our course has a creek that gets pretty murky sometimes. If a disc goes into the deep area there's almost no chance of seeing it, and it's difficult to get it even if you're sure where it went in the water (and sometimes the current will take it farther downstream. The water will clear occasionally and then it's like an Easter egg hunt with all the colored plastic visible in the creek. Most of the regular players will fish them out and call or get them to their owner (provided they have a name/number), but "no-namers" are fair game, unless the owner happens to be in the area and can describe it.

From another thread, here's a funny example of how the system should work:

One day at the course, some of us were in the parking lot by Hole #1. A kid walks up with a found disc. This kid had jjust gotten a new cell phone and was excited to make his first call to an owner of a lost/found disc. As he is dialing and waiting he is leaning on his dad's truck looking back through the parking lot, away from Hole #1 tee. About 35 or 40 feet away on the tee for Hole #1, a guy's phone started ringing.

I thought, "No way, it can't be this guy".

Well it was him. He was looking down the fairway and talking to this kid who was right behind him! And the kid was looking the opposite way so he had no idea he was talking to the guy on #1 who was just 40 feet away!

After a few seconds the guy on #1 asked if the kid could meet him somewhere to get his disc back and the kid said, "I don't know, I'm at the course right now". The other guy said, "At the course? So am I!" They each turned around with their phones to their ears and kept on talking to each other through their phones! And all this time they were close enough to each other to whisper.

Funny, funny stuff!

After notifying the person whose disc I found, how long am I expected to store it? I spoke to a guy in June, told him where I worked and he has never shown up to get it. Another guy is from out of state and said the next time he visits he will call? WTF? Send me $5 to mail it to you or buy another...

ive lost 2, no calls
i found a star wraith (which i really wanted to keep) but it had a number on it, so i got it returned

Funny story about that just today! I was on the very edge of the rough on hole 9 at Baker and I threw a really nice shot that almost birdied, I turn to pick up my bag and there's a blue champ beast behind me. I look around...nobody in sight in any direction. I check the back of the disc it's got a name and number, Kurt something blah blah. I'm about to go to my car and get a drink after this hole (front 9 ends back at parking lot) so I decide I'll call from there.

I walk towards the hole and I notice a group of guys at hole 10 teeing off...I'm like "hey is one of you Kurt?" guy's like yeah, that's me... I'm like dude...nice distance...but your hole is like HALF as far as you tossed it, in the VERY OPPOSITE DIRECTION, and you must have almost hit me. Sorry I moved your disc...but you're better off this way.

I found it funny.

\/\/

After notifying the person whose disc I found, how long am I expected to store it? I spoke to a guy in June, told him where I worked and he has never shown up to get it. Another guy is from out of state and said the next time he visits he will call? WTF? Send me $5 to mail it to you or buy another...
leave it in the trunk , when you take someone new to play let them use it , if they lose it its still got the number on there. And if he calls next time hes in town if your out it will be with you, and if you "lost" it tell em someone broke into your garage and stole all you discs:)

I Had a guy call, He had found A disc of mine. I really didn't even know it was missing. Told him send it to me and throw one of yours in you would like dyed.
Got the package on Sat. This is going back out to him today.

HPIM2363.jpg

Latest posts