• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does Disc Golf Play A Role?

MATTYICE26

I'm not sure if there is a thread already on this topic but, does disc golf play a role in where you try to move to or apply for jobs at. I am currently a college student to be a Physical Therapist Assistant and where I live, Russellville, Arkansas. We have two of the best courses in the state and may possibly be getting a third one. I know when I graduate I am going to try and stay in Russellville or move to Colorado because I love the Denver Broncos and I hear they have some pretty neat courses there. But wherever I choose to go, disc golf will most definitely play a role in my choice. I was just curious if anyone else has made a decision based on disc golf?

I have thought about living by a great course but it's only a dream because I am only a freshman in high school. I hope I am still into disc golf when I'm older, if I am into disc golf when I'm older I will definitely going to try to live near walking distance to a great course. But that doesn't mean I will live near a park and be an hour away from my work because work is more important.

Yes---but in a quite different way. (See my signature).

Anyway, in a mid-sized city like Columbia, SC, with a small number of good courses, I've known people to choose a section of town to live in based on the courses. I played at Worlds with someone who specifically chose the house he lives in because it's across the street from a course.

When you're leaving school, young and with lots of options, choosing where you live in part based on courses may make sense. Later in life, with family and schools to consider and a career, it's less likely to matter.

The good news is that there are many, many places that have quantity or quality (or both) disc golf courses. The sport, new courses, and new great courses are all growing rapidly so that as time goes by, it'll be less an issue because there'll be excellent disc golf all over the country.

Took my first teaching job this summer and it is definitely a downgrade as far as courses go. But more important was getting a job in this tough market and providing for my wife and son.

Thankfully a new, quality course was just installed nearby so it is better than I thought!

Yes---but in a quite different way. (See my signature).

Anyway, in a mid-sized city like Columbia, SC, with a small number of good courses, I've known people to choose a section of town to live in based on the courses. I played at Worlds with someone who specifically chose the house he lives in because it's across the street from a course.

When you're leaving school, young and with lots of options, choosing where you live in part based on courses may make sense. Later in life, with family and schools to consider and a career, it's less likely to matter.

The good news is that there are many, many places that have quantity or quality (or both) disc golf courses. The sport, new courses, and new great courses are all growing rapidly so that as time goes by, it'll be less an issue because there'll be excellent disc golf all over the country.

Except in Wyoming :mad: Good thing CO isn't that far away.

Think long term

I'm not sure if there is a thread already on this topic but, does disc golf play a role in where you try to move to or apply for jobs at. I am currently a college student to be a Physical Therapist Assistant and where I live, Russellville, Arkansas. We have two of the best courses in the state and may possibly be getting a third one. I know when I graduate I am going to try and stay in Russellville or move to Colorado because I love the Denver Broncos and I hear they have some pretty neat courses there. But wherever I choose to go, disc golf will most definitely play a role in my choice. I was just curious if anyone else has made a decision based on disc golf?

Disc golf itself should have almost Zero impact on your big life decisions. It is tiny in the big picture. Sure it would be nice to have Charlotte's courses in my backyard, or maybe even some of CA's courses and weather, but it should be secondary to other things. A regions climate, culture and overall long term outlook should be your deciding factors. If you really like disc golf you'll travel, or create a local scene that suits you. Think big picture.

Still waiting for the right jobs to fall into place... But I've definitely thought about how I want to make sure I live near a good disc golf course. ^_^

I'd take a job wherever I could get one. I think pretty much anywhere I get a job would be a downgrade, right now I live about 10 minutes south of flip city.

also, shameless(?) plug: I have a bachelor's degree in Music Education and need a job...

This thread makes me curious about which major city centers have the...most? best? density of disc golf within 50-75 miles. In answer, obviously the real life choices are the most important. It would suck to be without disc golf, but I guess that's how clubs get started.

I don't think I'm going to let it effect where I go to college, I know pretty much wherever I end up around here, be it Lawrence or Kansas City, there will be some quality dg to be had.

This thread makes me curious about which major city centers have the...most? best? density of disc golf within 50-75 miles. In answer, obviously the real life choices are the most important. It would suck to be without disc golf, but I guess that's how clubs get started.

This question has been answered on here. Good luck searching though:)

It is on my wishlist but not a requirement. My current town had no courses until i helped build a private one :)

it's a dream to live near a great course

i am house hunting right now and you learn very fast to take what's a available

when you house hunt you make a checklist of what you want and you might get 15 out of those 20 things if you are very lucky

shopping for a house is not fun

It certainly is important to consider recreation and hobbies when deciding where to live. Job and family come first, but having your hobbies convenient adds to quality of life.

My wife and I are house hunting right now. In addition to proximity to my job, we're taking both of our hobbies into consideration (disc golf for me, and the barn for her). All three are pretty spread out (30 minutes between each), so finding a good location has been challenging. One house that we really liked is close to my job and fairly close to a couple courses, but is too far for her to drive to see her horse.

Of course, "too far" for us generally means more than 30 minute commute, so we still have a pretty broad area to search. But certainly if we find a nice place next to a course, it will be a huge selling point for me.

It definitely came to mind when I was buying a house. I don't know that it really influenced my decision.

But, I did think about whether the yard was good for putting, noticed the field across the street and wondered if it was big enough for driving (yes!) or just approaching (definitely! can even approach _across_ the street from the ball fields into my yard).

I happen to be in easier biking range to my home course now, but that hasn't really come into play yet... Maybe next season.

It was a factor for me when the wife and I were house hunting.

We wanted to find something close to a train station in order to make the commute to the office as easy as possible. We also wanted a good school district.

After looking at nearly 100 houses, we finally settled in a leafy suburban Chicago paradise.

There is a 20 hole course that is currently being converted into 2 18 holers and 2 9 hole courses in the area....less than a 10 minute drive to all 3 parks.