• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does Discmania care about Womens Disc Golf?

People that champion social issues tend to very free about spending other people's money. OP, if the cause of women being underrepresented in competitive disc golf is important to you, please donate and/or raise money to start a new venture that features women more prominently.

Maybe they just need to create their own tour? The LPGA and PGA don't tour the same events...

OP, if the cause of women being underrepresented in competitive disc golf is important to you, please donate and/or raise money to start a new venture that features women more prominently.

But guys, that requires legwork and money. Why go to all that trouble when you can use DGCR as a soapbox for your one person crusade?

First of all, Discmania doesn't organize the DGWT, it's Spin18, another company of Jussi. So discmania is not to blame, they are just a sponsor, like Innova.

If you look at DGWT's website, you can see that the registration for La Mirada Open is now open for players rated over 940, and on 7th January it will open for players over 900. If a women with a legitimate rating wants to play, she can !
Sarah Hokom already told Jussi on Facebook she won't pay 150 $ to play in Open knowing that she won't cash. She wants separate divisions, but it requires a lot of sponsorship to have a decent prize money for women.

And please, don't forget that this tour want to promote disc golf in countries like Czech Republic and Estonia (not this year), the United States are not the center of the world...
It's also their first year. In some years, there will probably be a Disc Golf Women World Tour.
More viewers --> More players + More sponsors --> More money --> More women ???

Of course, everybody would like to have more women playing. But the most important is to grow the sport, which I think the DGWT will help to do (even if it's not perfect)

Have fun paying to watch the American Disc Golf Tour on ESPN3, what a great idea for the rest of the disc golf world...:wall::doh::wall:

P.S:Have you seen a woman play the Masters at Augusta this year ???

Just out of curiosity, were women who wanted to play turned down for a spot?

Just out of curiosity, were women who wanted to play turned down for a spot?

Yeah I don't believe so, they simply have to meet the rating requirement when registration opens for that rating. There's nothing to stop them from registering outside of ratings, which is the case for EVERY ONE.
On a side sarcastic note, I'm surprised no one has mentioned how often women (or self appointed white knights such as Understable) throw equal rights and equal everything in there. If they wanna bleed beside us on the battle field front lines, they can register for the same class in disc golf damnit. Equal is equal, you get to pick and choose.

No, you're not. I enjoy watching the FPO rounds because I can relate more to how they are playing. I'd still get whipped by them in a tournament, but at least I can relate to their driving distances, putting, etc.

Watching McBeth and the other MPO guys driving 500'+ and hitting everything from inside the circle is great, but it has little to do with the game I play...:(

I also enjoy watching the FPO rounds on YouTube. As a fact I watch the FPO rounds way more than the MPO rounds. The main reason is because as you said just watching the guys drive 500+ feet and hitting everything inside the circle. To me that just gets boring to watch. The MPO rounds seem to be more of a "hey watch how far I can throw this shot" etc. Also the fact that I see less women throwing rollers, turbo putts etc makes watching them more enjoyable. When I see a roller thrown I just ask myself "Is this disc golf? or some kind of bowling?"

When I first got into disc golf the very first pro I found out about was Page Pierce. I saw a Discraft Ti Stalker at a local disc golf shop. I picked it up and thought hey this is a cool disc and I wonder who this lady is who's name was on the disc. So I went home and typed her name into YouTube. From that I found out who she was and who the other FPO pro players are. I spent many days and hours watching Page and the other women play rounds on YouTube. So for me the first pro's I ever knew about and watched in this sport where the women players.

Pro male GMs and SrGMs are more interesting to watch for that reason. Several use more skills than top FPO such as rollers, thumbers and turbo putts. The top 10 male Sr GMs have higher ratings than the top 10 women so there's no drop-off in distance or scoring among the older top guys in comparison to FPO. They're just a bit more weather beaten.

Yeah, only one of the ladies seems to like rollers. Don't recall any thumbers on videos.

Anyway, I don't really care to watch MPO footage--I don't relate to it. I'll watch FPO, GM, and SGM as much as I can. I can relate to the way these divisions play. These are the people I'd most enjoy playing a round or two with!

Love watching some Barry Schultz and Ken Climo, even though they both still bomb and hold their own, but it's a lot of fun watching those guys play. Haven't watched much SGM guys, and also enjoy watching the FPO ladies play.

Yeah, only one of the ladies seems to like rollers. Don't recall any thumbers on videos.

Anyway, I don't really care to watch MPO footage--I don't relate to it. I'll watch FPO, GM, and SGM as much as I can. I can relate to the way these divisions play. These are the people I'd most enjoy playing a round or two with!

Do you watch pick up games down at the YMCA when the Final Four rolls around?

I also enjoy watching the FPO rounds on YouTube. As a fact I watch the FPO rounds way more than the MPO rounds. The main reason is because as you said just watching the guys drive 500+ feet and hitting everything inside the circle. To me that just gets boring to watch. The MPO rounds seem to be more of a "hey watch how far I can throw this shot" etc. Also the fact that I see less women throwing rollers, turbo putts etc makes watching them more enjoyable. When I see a roller thrown I just ask myself "Is this disc golf? or some kind of bowling?"

I feel totally the opposite, and I'm pretty sure most people agree with me. watching Paige, Val, Cat, sarah is just boring. Their best rounds are typically due to being very, very good at course management. Its a great skill to have, but the top men have that AND throw farther with a much greater variety of shots as well as making more long putts.
The only problem is that alot of courses aren't designed to showcase their golf skills as well as their long game(yet, but this is changing) whereas due to less shot variety and distance, FPO players must play smarter to shoot well.

while I can appreciate how smart many of them play, its definitely not the most entertaining viewing.

I've been saying this for years- if people want women's disc golf to get more popular the answer is NOT giving publicity or more money to the handful of FPO players touring now. Instead we should be focusing on growing disc golf in schools and other youth groups. This will help grow the sport for both female and male competitors, but should make for a much more balanced game in the future.

Is the reason the highest rated FPO player ever was about 976? because women simply cant be better than that? or because women make up 10% of the disc golf player base, and have a much lower monetary incentive to dedicate the time to become very good(even at the local tournament level). When we grow the % of female players overall, those at the top will be better and as such more people will want to watch them. spectators = sponsorship $.

Indeed. People want to be entertaned. That is why Shaun White makes more than Torah Bright does. Or why Lebron James makes more than Maya Moore does. Or why Lionel Messi makes more than Abby Wambach does. Or why Steven Stankos makes more than Hayley Wickenheiser does. I could go on, but I won't.

You can tell it's a bunch of dorks in the "sport" when you hear stuff about watching fpo cus you can relate. I like watching the best so I'm clearly no dork. If i want to watch ppl I can "relate" to I can just go play a round.