• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does drinking alcohol hurt your game?

Drinking hasn't hurt my game. I haven't lost to an inebriated disc golfer in years.

FWIW, I don't even get buzzed when I play. I do however have had huge anxiety ever since I could remember due to obvious problems I have and people judging. Sometimes when I don't play drinking at all, my putts are shakey, wobbles, no confidence.

Not looking for a life lesson...just your experience with DG/Drinking/Not Drinking, but just to see if it would help with more distance.

I appreciate every bodies 2 cents. Thank you.

I drink 3 beers in a round of 18 holes. I haven't notice that it really changes my game or not. As far as the anxiety thing I will say I can show up on a pretty cold day and wonder if I should wear a coat or not and as soon as I start playing my adrenaline gets so high I warm right up:D Happens every time.

Hard to tell since I'm too drunk to keep score.

Seriously though, I only play casually as a mean to relax after work and rarely even keep score. So hanging with my buddies & chucking plastic is the woods is my only goal. In respect to my goal for disc golf, alcohol has no effect aside from making my buddies jokes more funny.

1-3 drinks - nope may actually help -- 3+ haha probably not - and playing Buzzed / 'drunk' absolutely NOT - would be WAY worse - now the other stuff always helps somehow

I'm sitting here drinking alcohol and thinking about how part of every dollar spent on alcohol is a donation to the anti legalization lobby.

I'm sitting here drinking alcohol and thinking about how part of every dollar spent on alcohol is a donation to the anti legalization lobby.

maybe if your drinking bacardi or miller high life. If you buy your booze from smaller scale producers that haven't been bought out by inbev your money goes to normal people and their small time investors.

Yes. It will also hurt your health. Alcohol is never the answer to anything.

1311909.gif

I used to enjoy a few brews now and then with teh discs golf (and still do, rarely)....but it never helped my game.

If what I learned from brewers bowling league translates. And it should. It will help your game immensely for not quite two beers, and then the Ballmer effect takes over, and any gains you may have gotten from that temporary balm of courage are immediately erased.

Alcohol has always helped my game.
I don't drink or "partake", just don't like the taste or smell.
Just keep playing until all the others are stoned or tipsy, and you'll look like a Pro.

Alcohol has always helped my game.
I don't drink or "partake", just don't like the taste or smell.
Just keep playing until all the others are stoned or tipsy, and you'll look like a Pro.

Haha! Bring a case along to share but don't drink any yourself. Genius, LOL! You don't have to be faster (more sober) than the bear...

I kind of agree with the 2/3 beers thing but how do you maintain that over an hour+ of playing? I've seen guys play ok, drink a 24oz, play like **** for a couple holes then taper off and play ok.

I bring alcohol more often than I should. Like I said, it seems to help for a bit but its too hard to balance.

I'll quote one of my buddies from a few weeks ago; he was playing not-great, and someone wondered if he had eaten a good breakfast:

"Yeah, I ate. I guess what I need to do is just drink beer until I don't care, and then I'll play better. Seems to work okay for EarthRocker."

I struggle with this often. Back in early high school, in Driver's Ed, they showed us a fim that documented the effects of alcohol on drivers of different ages and genders. They drove through a course sober, and it was timed; then they sat down for a drink, then drove it again. They did this several times. Their speed/times actually improved after the first drink, and the second. Beyond that, they started knocking over cones, etc. I remember watching one of the women, crying at the end about how she just had "no idea how bad it was" after only three glasses of wine...

As someone else noted earlier, in Bowling, Darts, and Pool/Billiards, I find that a certain amount of aclohol seems to help, whether it's a steadying of any nerves or a temporary improvement of focus. But it goes sideways pretty quickly. Same with DG: there's a perfect equilibrium achieved after a few holes with maybe 2 or three strong beers. The trick is to switch to water, and then maybe crack another brew on the back half if you really want to...I've gone 8- or 9-under on my home course through as many holes, only to start going to sh*t later, when I added an extra snort of whiskey or something...It's all about lubrication and antifreeze... until it isn't. :D

I've been over-buzzed plenty of times. Luckily, there was no money on the line. Maybe my bag tag, but really, how much can I care about that? If I can't stay sober long enough to play a full round with some success, it's my fault, and no one else's.

So I guess I'm saying that yes, alcohol can be useful. It can also be a crutch. Mostly, it's just something that, like anything, should be used in moderation. There isn't one singular factor that totally kills one's round. There are usually several that commingle and lay waste to the mind in subtle but real ways...

(Don't get me started on the Devil's Lettuce. I love it and hate it, all at once. It's a paradox, I tell you.)

Never understood the guys chugging brewskis & throwing plastic on hot days. The dudes are like beef jerky on the back 9 due to all the dehydration.

If I gave a rip, I wouldn't drink. It's as simple as that. 99% of the time I'm out playing for fun with friends and a few beers are just part of the experience. However, with anything serious on the line that stuff can wait.

The only time I don't want a beer is when I already have one.

As stated above, I feel a beer or two reduces me to muscle memory and relaxation. Good things. With each beer after that, my game drops like butter slippin' off a hot biscuit.

First off when playing I do not drink, I tried one time and got crappy results. I had to stop off at a nearby gas station to get some liquids before going home, and had to wait to sober up. Of course that was 24 OZ of standard Coors beer in about 2 hours and a whole thing of water 20 OZ after and more water about 16-20 in which after the last liquid I peed in gas station bathroom to fix the head pain. I think maybe that was too much water type liquid in a short period the one that can be very dangerous if not with enough sodium?