• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does driving with fan grip hurt your fingers?

Heartedale

Bogey Member
Having smaller hands throwing a putter with a power grip is extremely uncomfortable and awkward for me. Because of this I've been testing different fan grips for better control.

For my main fan grip I place the top joint of my index finger underneath the rim/disc and have the rest of my finger curled within the disc. The control is excellent, however I'm getting a nasty rip right at the crease on my index placement. Im not building a callous.

The other way I've tried was to move my index to the outside rim, as if I was putting, however the 2nd crease on my middle finger is getting ripped.

Do i just have soft skin or should i just let it heal and try again until i build up enough of a callous?

Your pressure points are off. I'd advise throwing a 2 finger grip just to feel it at least for a couple throws(you might even get your furthest throws ever), then combine Bratten's 2 finger with MJ's fan:

I throw with a fan grip similar to M.J.'s and my index finger can get some abuse at times. You can tape the joint. When I do a lot of field work with mids and putters, the first knuckle crease of my index finger gets pretty raw. I just use a flexible tape and I'm good to go.