• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does this count?

Beef Chief

I threw a disc that landed in the top of the basket and it fell right through. I thought it counted, but my friend thought otherwise. Shouldn't it count as a basket?

Others with more knowledge will be able to chime in, but my understand is that when it comes to rest, supported by the basket, (not the top, but the basket or chains) it is considered in. If something moves it after it comes to rest, it's still in.

So if it dropped in and hadn't come to rest, then no good. If it dropped in, came to rest, then the wind blows it out, or a disc knocks it out, it's still good.

I think he is asking, he thru it high, it landed ONTOP of the basket. This basket had no roof, and it fell thru and landed in the basket and didn't move..

803.13B says that if it was "observed by two or more players of the group or an official to have entered the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.

Sorry bud - didn't count!

It fell through the roof of the basket, into the basket itself where it belongs lol

Does not count if you witnessed it happen:

803.13 B: A disc observed by two or more players of the group or an official to have entered the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.

The tricky part is whether the target has a "lid" on it. For example, you have to count shots going down into the center cylinder of an Innova Traveler because it's an open top. But for our typical targets with a chain support, dropping thru the top is not good if observed by the group or official.

I mean it may as well have hit a tree, and bounced into the basket. Only it didn't hit a tree, it hit the basket roof. If it doesn't count, then what? You pick it up from the basket and set it back in??

Weird...so that seems to also rule out that if you throw a disc and it gets stuck in the frame of the basket (think soft magnet) and is suspended in that part of the cage, then it wouldn't count because it didn't enter the basket above the top of the tray...but I have had two pros telling me that it does count if supported by the basket.

Well if it's not in the basket it doesn't count. Not to be a bitch but you have to play fair. But if it's your game you play by your rules.

Weird...so that seems to also rule out that if you throw a disc and it gets stuck in the frame of the basket (think soft magnet) and is suspended in that part of the cage, then it wouldn't count because it didn't enter the basket above the top of the tray...but I have had two pros telling me that it does count if supported by the basket.

As Chuck said, used to count 2010 and before. Does not count 2011 and forward.

It landed IN the basket tray.

When it comes to entering the tray through the side or the top it's not as important that it landed inside but how it landed inside. If it was witnessed to fall through the top or wedge through the side and in then it does not count,. Discs should never be able to fall through the top anyway, as that just means there is some fault with the equipment, and it doesnt hold everyone to the same standards.

When it comes to entering the tray through the side or the top it's not as important that it landed inside but how it landed inside. If it was witnessed to fall through the top or wedge through the side and in then it does not count,. Discs should never be able to fall through the top anyway, as that just means there is some fault with the equipment, and it doesnt hold everyone to the same standards.

k that's what I thought, most of the "cages' have roofs, this course had no roofs on their baskets