• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does this count?

The tricky part is whether the target has a "lid" on it. For example, you have to count shots going down into the center cylinder of an Innova Traveler because it's an open top. But for our typical targets with a chain support, dropping thru the top is not good if observed by the group or official.

I would argue against this interpretation.

"B. Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and inside wall) of the tray. It may be additionally supported by the pole. A disc observed by two or more players of the group or an official to have entered the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out."

It doesn't matter whether or not there's a "lid".

discatcher-traveler-target-sm.jpg

A disc that enters the center cylinder of this basket from the top clearly has "entered the target . . . above the bottom of the chain support" and has not holed out.

Go immeidately to your local lottery store.

:thmbup:

I would agree that BC's shot did not count. However I have one as well.

If a disc comes to rest on top of the chain supports and another player makes his putt and forces my putter to slide on the outside, fall and hit the rim of the basket and falls in the basket.....Does it count?

next thing they will do is rule out skips, then there will be a "no see, no ace" rule, and so on. This is a slippery slope of rules. I have never holed out through the top of a basket. I think it should be treated just like the referee, or the goal post in soccer. Hit them and knock it in, it is still a goal. Eventually you make enough rules that it is all fair and balanced - - - and no fun.

Fair enough, jenb. So the disc is replaced in the basket.

But what if the disc is replaced in the basket in the conventional way & not through the top (the rules do not specify how the disc is to be replaced), so that it could not be said that it has been "observed by two or more players of the group or an official to have entered the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support". One could (successfully, imo) argue that the rules allow for a disc so replaced to be considered holed out.

You're original proposition said that it entered the basket as in BF's example, in which case it was already observed to have entered the basket through the chain support, and is not holed out at that point.

The player would then have to mark the lie on the playing surface below the disc, and hole out properly. If the disc gets blown out and back in, and the player has to replace the disc from its new position in the basket to it's old position, it is not made holed out by that action. The disc has to be replaced to the original position in the basket, the lie marked on the playing surface beneath it, and then a propper hole out must be made, either using the disc in the basket or another disc.

No one has still chimed in to say how one would play the "lie"... is my interpretation of jenb's quote accurate?

rule 803.08a, discs that come to rest in a tree or other obstacle above the playing surface must be marked on the playing surface directly beneath the disc.

It doesn't matter whether or not there's a "lid". A disc that enters the center cylinder of this basket from the top clearly has "entered the target . . . above the bottom of the chain support" and has not holed out.

Tell Harold a member of the Rules Committee that. :) I'll ask him if that target was granted a variance.

The fact that the disc was observed to have entered the target from beneath the top of the chain support during the replacement of the disc does not negate the fact that the disc was observed to have entered the target from above the top of the chain support during the throw. Therefore, the condition that the disc was seen to enter "illegally" is still satisfied, and the hole out has not occurred.

:clap:

803.13B says that if it was "observed by two or more players of the group or an official to have entered the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.

Sorry bud - didn't count!

Woo hoo for the new rules. Last year it would have counted, now it does not.

Tell Harold a member of the Rules Committee that. :) I'll ask him if that target was granted a variance.

Silly Noobies, look at his banner, questioning him about rules is like telling Threeputt he doesn't know anything about discs or Garublador that he is an idiot when it comes to proper form.

im just curious to which disc you were throwing that fell through

Silly Noobies, look at his banner, questioning him about rules is like telling Threeputt he doesn't know anything about discs or Garublador that he is an idiot when it comes to proper form.

noobie? dude, i played my first round of disc golf when you were 2.

really its a little bit more envolved then you guys think... it very much depends on where he was playing... if it was a pdga event... and what rules are being played.... for exsample... the 2 meter rule isnt always inforced.... if you play a fly18 course... there targets are designed for a plate to be able to fall through the top... yes most places play the pdga rules... but not all... course rules aply b4 the pdga rules if not a pdga event

A top pro not knowing the rules produced some publicity that might help spread rules knowledge. If he did follow the rules, then no post would have been made about it, right?

Oh.

I initially viewed it the other way.. as ineffective communication of rules changes.
shrug.gif