• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dome topped disc

i think it depends on the disc destroyers with more dome seem to have more glide but vectors with more dome are more overstable

Played a round with a guy who had the flatest disc I have ever seen...this katana was as flat as a tuperware lid and it flew more stable than any disc I have thrown. He had a pretty decent arm and said it was more stable than an monster

90% of the time flat is crap, squirrely as throwing an old vinyl lp, no glide, JUNK. Flat Katana's are awesome for worm burners. A flat ROC has some nice qualities but most discs fly better with some dome. Just my opinion. I have a small stack of flat star Katana's if you know someone that is impressed at how overstable and useless they are:)

Last edited:
I had a triple stamped STUPID FLAT Katana that was a meat hook. Only person I have seen able to throw it puts them out close to 500'.

I prefer flatter discs though and dont follow the flatter is crap mentality. I think the opposite and cant stand the high domed versions.

^agreed but I can't throw anything that stable...flat is great on rocs, eagles, firebirds, wraiths, and striker...domey discs seem to come out of my hand with a little wobble or something

Often the higher dome creates more drag and a disc cannot be thrown as fast. Thus Many think domey discs are beefier or more stable. They are not they are just slower and perform more speed stable.
Domes do add glide. The flatter discs if thrown with enough power will penetrate the air and yield long distance. But the distance is gained is akin to a jet airplane with small wings. Dependent upon thrust. A domey disc can yield great distance if thrown with enough power to overcome the drag and will yield distance from lift more like a glider with big wings.

I have a few flat top rocs( one that's almost concave) and they fly great. Same thing goes with firebirds. On the other hand I have a super domey GL River that flies more like a teebird. I think its more about personal preference when it comes down to dome or no dome.

I've got some flat Teebirds that are very nice. Flat Strikers are also money. But I like some dome on Rivers. So, I'd say it depends on the mold. Some discs perform better flat, some with a dome.

Often the higher dome creates more drag and a disc cannot be thrown as fast. Thus Many think domey discs are beefier or more stable. They are not they are just slower and perform more speed stable.
Domes do add glide. The flatter discs if thrown with enough power will penetrate the air and yield long distance. But the distance is gained is akin to a jet airplane with small wings. Dependent upon thrust. A domey disc can yield great distance if thrown with enough power to overcome the drag and will yield distance from lift more like a glider with big wings.

Now I could be wrong, but isn't drag what causes high speed turn? (There is more drag at higher speeds)... Not that it doesn't make perfect sense that a higher profile would recieve more drag, but a disc thrown faster would also experience a great deal of drag.
I have always been told that dome will effect different molds differently and it seems to be that something like a domey destroyer will often be much more overstabe, but a domey buzzz will have better glide and is usually less stable (in my experience).

If you combine the dome with the PLH of the disc you can get a pretty accurate idea. Sometimes the dome will pull the PLH up, other times it will push it down.

A domey disc with a low PLH is generally understable and glidey and has the longest distance potential in favorable winds. A domey disc with a high PLH, will be more overstable than normal but may turn into a good bomber as it loses some stability. A disc that is really flat that pulls the PLH up is usually really overstable and fast wind fighters, like the Firebird, Pred, Flick, CFR CPD, 11x TB, etc...

The worst kind of disc is the flat disc that pushes the PLH down. Usually they're flippy, glideless garbage.

From what I've seen, dome takes away speed, but adds glide. It also seems to make the disc less HSS and more LSS, at least this is what I've seen from the experimenting I've done.. Both with stock plastic, and modifying discs by flattening/doming/concaving different types.

who doesnt love dome? :) seriously though, its unique from disc to disc...a domey axis is way more stable than a flat one, but a domey firebird is way less stable than a flat one.

It varies from disc to disc...easier to get a flat disc up to speed because of the lower profile, but the glide suffers. Also easier to grip a flat disc.

My flat Z nukes don't go near as far as my domey Z nukes. Dome will keep it gliding a lot longer if you got the arm...comes down to preference. I Like flat top midranges, but domey drivers...unless the drivers are Xcals, Maxes, or Flicks (wind resistant).

If you combine the dome with the PLH of the disc you can get a pretty accurate idea. Sometimes the dome will pull the PLH up, other times it will push it down.

A domey disc with a low PLH is generally understable and glidey and has the longest distance potential in favorable winds. A domey disc with a high PLH, will be more overstable than normal but may turn into a good bomber as it loses some stability. A disc that is really flat that pulls the PLH up is usually really overstable and fast wind fighters, like the Firebird, Pred, Flick, CFR CPD, 11x TB, etc...

The worst kind of disc is the flat disc that pushes the PLH down. Usually they're flippy, glideless garbage.
^^^^Somebody sticky the crap out this. Maybe the best bit of info on the subject all in one place at one time that I've seen. I may make it my signature.