• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Don't be "that guy" another rant

To me, it seems like simpletwist missed a perfect opportunity to teach someone the finer aspects of disc golf etiquette. Maybe he was a noob, maybe he was a douche, but either way the best thing for you to do was to politely ask him to play through (or if distance was a factor, shout "may we play through?") Then, in a non-condescending tone of voice, say "hello," maybe "nice day, huh?" or whatever quick small talk you feel most comfortable with, then say, again, in a non-condescending tone of voice, "It's cool if you want to work on putts, but it'd be cool if you waved other people through." Something along those lines. Either which way, he'll get the hint next time.

word.

Man asking people to play through is hard.

idk what the prob is...ask to play through. if they say no and the course isnt congested...theyre eh holes and you go to the next hole and skip ahead of them anyway. the ball is in their court. 99% of the time theyll let you play through and are happy to bs.:\

Either which way, he'll get the hint next time.

... when he gets hit in the head with a disc by another noob who doesn't know any better yet.

This hasn't happened to me personally, but my friend told me that he had a group playing behind his that would immediately throw their drives whenever the last person in my buddy's group made their putt, discs not even out of the basket yet. After hole 2, he said he let them play through and everyone in the other group started to throw multiple discs for every shot, making my buddy wait at almost all of the tees. What a bunch of clowns! :thmbdown:

as much as i hate to admit it ive been that guy before. there is a possibility that he was "putt practicing" to give you an opportunity to approach him to play through. i know this is hypothetical and mabye rare, but you mentioned not wanting to disturbe the serene nature of the round. when a group or a single person catches up behind me, i dont want to shout out to them to ask if they wan to play through. i give it a few holes to compare their pace to mine and wait for them to come close to me so i can see them face to face and find out how they wanto do deal with the situation, rather than yelling at them. just a thought. i dont like to yell. its no fun. either way. holding others up or waiting, i will intentionally put myself close to them to make a natural conversation rather than yelling.

What is all this reticence towards yelling? Fer christs sake just bellow it out!

Communication = Good.

No communication = You getting stuck behind someone who doesn't know you want to play through.

Also, people need to YELL "fore" or "Clear on x hole", not meekly say,fore!

:\

No communication = You getting stuck behind someone who doesn't know you want to play through.

this is like playing ball golf and some ******* just keeps putting balls on hole 3. does it sound like the thing to do on a ball golf course?

this is like playing ball golf and some ******* just keeps putting balls on hole 3. does it sound like the thing to do on a ball golf course?

No it doesn't. But if that situation came up on a ball golf course, would you tee off on him or sit there all day until he moves on? I don't think so...you'd wave to get his attention, yell "yo, what friggin' gives?", or some other form of COMMUNICATION that makes it clear something is amiss and a) you'd like to play through or b) pick up the pace, Mr. Putts-a-lot.

Start commenting on the shots, form, hairstyle, wardrobe, etc... so that they can hear you. It's a great conversation starter...

just kiddin'

At 49, I usually don't rush those in front of me. When alone, everyone lets me play through or asks me to join them. When playing through, I move as fast as possible.

I'm out to have fun. It's not fun to get mad or make someone else mad... If it gets that way, I'll leave to do something else.

as much as i hate to admit it ive been that guy before. there is a possibility that he was "putt practicing" to give you an opportunity to approach him to play through. i know this is hypothetical and mabye rare, but you mentioned not wanting to disturbe the serene nature of the round. when a group or a single person catches up behind me, i dont want to shout out to them to ask if they wan to play through. i give it a few holes to compare their pace to mine and wait for them to come close to me so i can see them face to face and find out how they wanto do deal with the situation, rather than yelling at them. just a thought. i dont like to yell. its no fun. either way. holding others up or waiting, i will intentionally put myself close to them to make a natural conversation rather than yelling.

Not trying to start a war here, but I found this to be all kinds of wrong. To start, I do not like having to initiate the play-through, I just kind of wish everybody on the course had some courtesy. 80% of the time, it all works out just fine. We either catch up at the tee and play through, or take a long break and let them have their fun.

But anyway, when the course is empty, and somebody magically appears on the hole behind me, I wait at the next tee to let them pass. Period. I do not 'give it a few holes to measure their pace.' I mean, duh. They caught up to me, right? Clearly their pace is faster. If for some reason they end up being slower than us when they pass, well then we just take our time. This has only happened once or twice though. Or, I'll just take off and play a different part of the course.

Lately though, these common courtesy things have been unnecessary, as the courses are far to busy to allow for any 'playing through.' We all play in order, and the passing happens at the bowl hole (one per 9), or at the beginnings of the course (1 and 10).

Also, when I practice putting, I do it at the practice basket. That's what its there for, right? I suppose you can do a few practice shots at the pin, or a 'mulligan' or whatever. But seriously, if somebody is in front of me and I hear chains 4 times and I am clearly on a visible tee pad, it gets annoying pretty fast. Like, after one hole.

I have been known to yell 'FORE!' without actually throwing a disc, particularly when you get the group of 4+ that hangs out by the basket for 2 minutes after they hole out. Makes it a REAL short conversation. And if they get mad when I catch up to them, its pretty simple. "I didn't actually throw, I just wanted you to know that there was somebody waiting."

Sometimes people just have to be reminded that they are on public property. And oh, by the way, I am mostly referring to a course that is pay-to-play, so those of you that think that will solve something, guess what. A busy course is a busy course. Sorry if I came off as an a-hole, but it seems that common sense is lacking these days. I'm new to the sport but I totally get the whole respect/rotation thing.

i've noticed a severe decline in course courtesy and etiquette over the last few years.
i guess this is to be expected in any growing sport.

i was playing with my friends and we were waiting for people to finish up (still putting), the sun was going down, its about 350ft uphill. busy course, the guys behind us yell to start throwing because 'we dont have all day here'. we played after the people ahead of us left the basket, then quit after that hole. dont want to be ahead of any jerks. really kills any relaxation or fun.

i think this has affected regular players, who stop being polite after dealing with unruly noobs and general dickery on a daily basis.

Not trying to start a war here, but I found this to be all kinds of wrong. To start, I do not like having to initiate the play-through, I just kind of wish everybody on the course had some courtesy. 80% of the time, it all works out just fine. We either catch up at the tee and play through, or take a long break and let them have their fun.

But anyway, when the course is empty, and somebody magically appears on the hole behind me, I wait at the next tee to let them pass. Period. I do not 'give it a few holes to measure their pace.' I mean, duh. They caught up to me, right? Clearly their pace is faster. If for some reason they end up being slower than us when they pass, well then we just take our time. This has only happened once or twice though. Or, I'll just take off and play a different part of the course.

Lately though, these common courtesy things have been unnecessary, as the courses are far to busy to allow for any 'playing through.' We all play in order, and the passing happens at the bowl hole (one per 9), or at the beginnings of the course (1 and 10).

Also, when I practice putting, I do it at the practice basket. That's what its there for, right? I suppose you can do a few practice shots at the pin, or a 'mulligan' or whatever. But seriously, if somebody is in front of me and I hear chains 4 times and I am clearly on a visible tee pad, it gets annoying pretty fast. Like, after one hole.

I have been known to yell 'FORE!' without actually throwing a disc, particularly when you get the group of 4+ that hangs out by the basket for 2 minutes after they hole out. Makes it a REAL short conversation. And if they get mad when I catch up to them, its pretty simple. "I didn't actually throw, I just wanted you to know that there was somebody waiting."

Sometimes people just have to be reminded that they are on public property. And oh, by the way, I am mostly referring to a course that is pay-to-play, so those of you that think that will solve something, guess what. A busy course is a busy course. Sorry if I came off as an a-hole, but it seems that common sense is lacking these days. I'm new to the sport but I totally get the whole respect/rotation thing.

This is a lot of words justifying your unwillingness to shout "Hey! Can I play through?"

Also I love the passive agressive fake fore yell. That doesn't sound like a jerk move at all and makes way more sense than shouting "Hey! Can I play through?"