• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"dont fake your x-step" ... oh ultiworld...

Sheep

Sir, This is a Wendy's
https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2022...bRJ4gaX11D161kA2t9YjkG-Wg3ITlB8gpMzE5TzPtYQqY

This was a pretty difficult article to read. I ended up having to skim a lot of it because even though I'm very wordy myself, when I write stuff like this for publishing, I ... I don't want it to seem like I'm rambling like I might in forums which I just take as a normal discussion with the allowances of some minor editing for structure blah blah. But these huge things I write are "off the cuff" usually.

I don't wanna sit here and pick apart this article, because just with everything, even bad information can be something you can learn from, or information you already know can be something to learn from.

But I will point out at one point in the article he talks about the multiple steps of the x-step. and I giggled.

This article hopefully brings to light to people who DO read it that a lot of people trying to use the x-step are.. well.
They are not doing it well in any fashion.
Backwards x-step is one of the things I see the most in form reviews. Or just poor x-step quality because players are trying to emulate friends or a pro.

"I did the thing, why my shot not go 600 feet."

This does bring up a few important things though also.
Pro's rarely know what they are talking about.
And people rarely can actually tell what they are doing wrong.

I have enjoyed a lot of his columns, but this one had my eyes glazing over early and I clicked away. There's so much video out there now. Some concepts are just much easier communicated by demonstrating, rather than writing about them.

I have enjoyed a lot of his columns, but this one had my eyes glazing over early and I clicked away. There's so much video out there now. Some concepts are just much easier communicated by demonstrating, rather than writing about them.

Thanks for expressing my point far better.

While I'm totally capable of laying down some characters on this keyboard to the tune of 100wpm, When it comes to people looking for a learning experience like their articles are supposed to be, short and simple is the best way to go.

In here, were looking to dive a bit deeper and more of the jazz hands routine on the keyboard is kind of more required to some extent.

And this article was just... Unnecessarily long.
It's still a paper style format, which is good, but still Long. I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who started glossing after reading.

Gosh, I hope ya'll read my yimmer yammer in here then. hahaha. =)

I value trying to make things clear in writing since it's part of how I process information. Writing tests comprehension. Good writing requires good comprehension. Some good points here, though I also was raising an eyebrow at a few points in his text.

The article has videos/pictures under the paragraphs where breaking down certain mechanics of the x-step. I didn't read the first part of the article, only skimmed it.

On the mechanics themselves, I'm a big proponent of walking linearly towards 11 o'clock, then throwing to 12 o'clock. This was one of the breakthroughs in my game, for power but also moreso for accuracy.

I value trying to make things clear in writing since it's part of how I process information.

This is exactly what I've been working on in my course reviews. With 250+ written, I think I'm finally getting to the point where I'm good at trimming the excess (look at a few recents and let me know..).

I'm editing out a lot of my personal experiences and feelings about the course, my round, the weather, etc. I'm trying to answer the question "What can you expect if you were to play this course?"

There's plenty of room for different types of well-written reviews - I'm just trying to hone "my" type...and doing it with as few words as possible, while still being judged as "helpful" by others who take the time to read them and vote with their thumbs...

Latest posts