• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drive Analysis help, please

racer93

Double Eagle Member
Hey,

My first video of my drive. It's with a mid that went about 280', parked behind the basket. Very windy that day. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Daniel

Wait longer to pull so your weight is more forward. Also keep the disc closer to your pec and lead with the elbow more. Your reachback is off line with your shot also.

Wait longer to pull so your weight is more forward. Also keep the disc closer to your pec and lead with the elbow more. Your reachback is off line with your shot also.

Two things you said stuck with me as true: 1) Keeping the weight forward. I noticed that I spin on my heel and I think I'd read somewhere that you want to be spinning on the ball of your plant foot. I think I'm right about that. 2) Lead with the elbow. How can I do that more? I try to keep my arm up to keep from popping the disc up and when this is done, your elbow naturally comes up. Is there another way of doing this?

I think that when the elbow thing happens, the disc will be closer to the chest. I know that is and has been a weakness of mine.

I don't think the reachback is offline at all. I was aiming at the middle tree in the distance and letting the disc fall toward the basket on the left.

Daniel

"I noticed that I spin on my heel and I think I'd read somewhere that you want to be spinning on the ball of your plant foot."

I would strongly dissagree. I believe that spinning on the ball of my foot was a large contributor to my knee injury. Check out some footage of the pros on youtube. The overwhelming majoity spin on their heels.

Check out some footage of the pros on youtube. The overwhelming majoity spin on their heels.

I did and it looks like most are planted on their heels or more towards the middle of the foot. Kinda strange. It seems like you'd get more weight forward when you're on the ball of the foot vs the heel. Hmm...

I believe you may be getting the nose up on the disc. If you look at this picture, it looks like the orientation of the disc is different than what you would see in other peoples throws.

nose_up.jpg

I believe you may be getting the nose up on the disc. If you look at this picture, it looks like the orientation of the disc is different than what you would see in other peoples throws.

nose_up.jpg

It may look that way, but if you move forward several frames to where the disc is at my right pec you'll see the disc orientation is not the way it seems in your pic. My throws hardly ever go over 20-25' unless I want them to. Occasionally, I have flubs. This was not a case of that. It went about 20-25' and that was with a ~15mph headwind.

I've been working on extending my wrist (think pointing your thumb straight out) and that helps to keep the nose down.

Last edited:
It seems like you'd get more weight forward when you're on the ball of the foot vs the heel. Hmm...

Pivoting on the heel makes it easier to clear the hips. You can pivot on the ball of your foot, but it is a lot easier to jam the hips.

Two things you said stuck with me as true: 1) Keeping the weight forward. I noticed that I spin on my heel and I think I'd read somewhere that you want to be spinning on the ball of your plant foot. I think I'm right about that. 2) Lead with the elbow. How can I do that more? I try to keep my arm up to keep from popping the disc up and when this is done, your elbow naturally comes up. Is there another way of doing this?

I think that when the elbow thing happens, the disc will be closer to the chest. I know that is and has been a weakness of mine.

I don't think the reachback is offline at all. I was aiming at the middle tree in the distance and letting the disc fall toward the basket on the left.

Daniel

Keep your elbow higher around the shoulders and elbow higher than the disc at the hit. Make sure the elbow passes the shoulder before you extend the lower arm. Think shoulder lean(leading with the shoulder) to get the shoulder lower to the elbow for getting more weight forward with a later pull. You swing your lower arm around before that(pull later) which is not right pec position. If you look at the disc from your reach back to the hit, it curves around, it should be a straight line(you are reaching around or too much reach). At the release point the disc is almost 2ft away from your body.

Heel pivot is better than the ball, but your weight is back so its not harnessing the power from the hips. Its a reverse pivot.

Keep your elbow higher around the shoulders and elbow higher than the disc at the hit. Make sure the elbow passes the shoulder before you extend the lower arm. Think shoulder lean(leading with the shoulder) to get the shoulder lower to the elbow for getting more weight forward with a later pull. You swing your lower arm around before that(pull later) which is not right pec position. If you look at the disc from your reach back to the hit, it curves around, it should be a straight line(you are reaching around or too much reach). At the release point the disc is almost 2ft away from your body.

Heel pivot is better than the ball, but your weight is back so its not harnessing the power from the hips. Its a reverse pivot.

I'll try to keep my elbow up. Good tip.

My arm is "curved" because I'm starting to bend my elbow and get more power that way. I used to use a straight reach back, but am experimenting with changing it.

I would say that the disc was 8-12" out, definitely too far out whatever the distance. For some reason, I keep mids further from my body than I do drivers. I can get smoother, straighter 275' throws doing this. I've been told to just shorten the reachback to alter distance.

One thing to remember is that this is my 2nd full round since having a break for 2 years. Lots 'o rust to knock off...

One other thing..Going by the video you ebedded, how can you say mine is a reverse pivot? The disc doesn't go way high and all of my weight is on my plant foot (my left leg is off the ground). Just curious to see your reasoning as to why you think I am reverse pivoting.

Yours is not quite as dramatic as the vid, once you get your forward it shouldn't be much an issue. If you look at your follow through your left hip and shoulder finish high. The disc comes out hyzer, but looks like you torque it.

Yours is not quite as dramatic as the vid, once you get your forward it shouldn't be much an issue. If you look at your follow through your left hip and shoulder finish high. The disc comes out hyzer, but looks like you torque it.

I did want to slighly hyzer it, as there was a 10-15mph headwind and I was throwing a buzzz...

Thanks for the help!

Latest posts