• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drive Analysis

XxInnovaxX

Double Eagle Member
Well as I mentioned not too long ago, I have a terrible problem with scooping, along with a few other mechanical errors. Just for a little background info I don't have any problem with turning my discs over, I mostly throw dead straight shots, no "s" shots unless needed, and have no problem throwing a hyzer-flip and/or anny. I throw my aviar 275' dead straight or can hold it on a hyzer for near the same distance with great accuracy. Buzzz 305', Drivers 320' to a max of 350'. I know I am robbing myself of a TON of distance by not coming through on a level plane, but if I do it any other way my mind tells my body I'm doing something wrong.lol. Any advice/pointers to help break this habit and/or any of the other flaws would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

If the link works correctly you should be able to watch it in slo-mo or realtime. For the Lay man just click the "slow" play button below the original play button.
Heres the Video

Uhhh...your elbow is completely off plane dude, like 90 degrees, so you aren't getting elbow chop(right pec drill), and so the nose is up. If that was a hyzer your shoulders are off plane. Drop the right shoulder on reachback for hyzer. Its hard to tell but if your left hand is on your leg, that limits your hip/shoulder separation. Bend your left knee and get your body lower on reachback. I wish this video had some explosions or something instead of that dog barking. That would be cool.

Uhhh...your elbow is completely off plane dude, like 90 degrees, so you aren't getting elbow chop(right pec drill), and so the nose is up. If that was a hyzer your shoulders are off plane. Drop the right shoulder on reachback for hyzer. Its hard to tell but if your left hand is on your leg, that limits your hip/shoulder separation. Bend your left knee and get your body lower on reachback. I wish this video had some explosions or something instead of that dog barking. That would be cool.

agreed on the elblow. I can't remember but i think i was just trying to throw flat, not hyzer, but can you give more detail on the shoulders being off plane please, i'm confused on what you mean. Should I lean over the disc more or did you mean something completely different? Left hand/arm is hanging by my side, although it does look like it's on the leg in the vid. And I def agree on the explosions, I can't stand those damn dogs. There is a tee-box right next to their fence and they constantly bark during everyones drives, soooo frustrating

Umm...throwing flat your elbow should be higher and your shoulders would be ok. Your wrist must be oriented nose up when your elbow is that off plane to the shoulders. Throwing hyzer your right shoulder should be lower than the left like / and rotate on that plane. Skulls are cool.

agreed on the elblow. I can't remember but i think i was just trying to throw flat, not hyzer, but can you give more detail on the shoulders being off plane please, i'm confused on what you mean. Should I lean over the disc more or did you mean something completely different? Left hand/arm is hanging by my side, although it does look like it's on the leg in the vid. And I def agree on the explosions, I can't stand those damn dogs. There is a tee-box right next to their fence and they constantly bark during everyones drives, soooo frustrating

Shoulder plane illustrated:

picture.php

If your arm is flailing out of line with your shoulders, in the red positions, you are off-plane. On a perfectly flat throw, your arm and shoulders should stay perfectly parallel with the ground, like Zangief here:
zangief-spin.gif

RE: Your problem;
You started your pull just a tad too soon, before you had that pivot foot down. That's enough to throw your timing off completely and screw up the sequence; you pull too early, your hips open too soon, your weight doesn't transferred right, etc. You did drop your elbow during the business part of the throw like SW22 pointed out.

I have a huge problem with this "scooping" as you put it, the harder you throw, the worse it gets. You have to throw a ton of extreme hyzers, getting your weight completely over that pivot foot so that the followthru stays on plane and feels natural. If you don't get your weight forward, you will keep scooping or worse, reverse pivot.

update

Well it's only been 2-3 days since originally posting the my video, yet I am allready seeing results. I've been working on the pec drills and keeping my elbow up higher along with changing my run-up slightly to where my pull-through is slightly delayed from what it was, causing my weight transfer to be slightly more effective. Everything is still a work in progress, but while playing to today i threw my longest backhand drive i have ever thrown!! I might be tooting my own horn a little bit, but this is a huge accomplishment for me and I just want to tell everybody lol

My max drive before today was in the 350's and while playing today I threw two drives that measured 40' away from the basket on a 416' hole. Which totals up to be 376'!!! Hole measurements are correct, no elevation, and no wind, and I did it back to back so I know for sure this was all me and hopefully it wasn't just a fluke!:) Now 25 extra feet probably doesn't seem like that much, but to me that is HUGE, especially for only 2 days of tweaking(no drug ref intended:).

Like i said before, my drive is still a work in progress, and I am definitely not getting these results on everythrow because my body still wants to go back to it's old habits, but I am starting to feel when I do things the right way versus the wrong, and I am able to throw further with SOOO much more ease. Thanks for the feedback Sidewinder and Brother Dave, hopefully I will be able to keep adding to my distance and keep posting my progress.

I just noticed your grip looks incredibly awkward.....

who's got the grip video where they show rolling your disc down your forearm into your palm???

Latest posts