• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Driver for 330' max arm

jmcarriere

Bogey Member
Ok guys I have searched and cant nor find it here. What is the best recommend max d driver for someone that Max's at 330'? Right now I max out at right around 330' with a 156g standard scorpious I know that it is to fast for my arm speed but can not seem to figure out what would be good.

Probably something with some decent turn and fade in the speed 11 range (or something labeled a speed 12 that is closer to an 11 rim width). Some good choices:

Innova - Tern or Pro Wraith
Trilogy - Trespass or Sword
Gyro - Plasma Wave or Neutron Vanish

I'm right about the same max distance as you and I love my gstar and pro wraith! Mine range from 165-170 and they bomb.

throw speed 9s

for heavy winds upgrading to the scorpious would be just fine

Pro Valkyries and Star Sidewinders are pretty nice in the mid to low 160's.

I'd stay at 9 speed, going faster isn't really going to do you any favors.

Another for the Discraft Heat or the Innova Valkyrie. Beast would be the next step up before a Wraith.

If you want to actually learn to throw farther than you do currently, stick with speed 9 or under. The CD2, Valkyrie, and OLF would be good options. If you want to get an extra 10-20 feet then go for the warp speed flippy discs (I don't recommend that you go this route).

If you want to actually learn to throw farther than you do currently, stick with speed 9 or under. The CD2, Valkyrie, and OLF would be good options. If you want to get an extra 10-20 feet then go for the warp speed flippy discs (I don't recommend that you go this route).

No I actually want to learn to throw farther and throw the speed that I should be. I know that the scorpious is to fast for my current arm speed.

Axiom insanity is my max d driver. I'm in about the same distance range as you.

I pair it with a wrath (not a wraith, an Axiom wrath) for something a bit more stable in the wind. Both speed 9ish.

Last edited:
You need to start from the ground up and learn to throw your putters, as you learn those you will find your mids will go farther then from there you will have a better idea of a good speed 9 driver that you probably should max you out for a while. If you want to go straight to a driver, a dynamic discs escape is a great option

No I actually want to learn to throw farther and throw the speed that I should be. I know that the scorpious is to fast for my current arm speed.

Around two months ago, I also removed everything faster than a speed 9 from my bag for BH shots. There is a noticeable difference already in my BH distance, but the speed 10+ drivers still don't go much farther than speed 9 (I max out at ~400'). I also have much better control throwing my OLFs instead of something faster and flippy, so the extra 15-20 feet aren't that big of a deal.

I did the exact same thing for FH about 2-3 years ago, going with nothing faster than an OLF. Once I put Wraiths back in my bag, I gained about 50' on my FH after 8-9 months of discing down to speed 9.

You need to start from the ground up and learn to throw your putters, as you learn those you will find your mids will go farther then from there you will have a better idea of a good speed 9 driver that you probably should max you out for a while. If you want to go straight to a driver, a dynamic discs escape is a great option

And I also agree with this, and that is actually what I am doing this winter is working with my putters and mids. I live in the north so not much outside playing this time of the year. I do go to an indoor sports dome for field work at least once a week.

My max drives are in the 380s. Out of the 7 I measured with UDisc, 3 of them are the L64 Saint [9 spd], 2 are L64 Flow [11 spd], 2 are L64 Ballista [14 spd]. My Ballista is really just a stable Saint for me right now given my arm speed.

I would suggest a Saint with its glide and a little turn bit of turn.

I throw about as far as you do. Try any of these:

Sidewinder
Roadrunner
Star/Pro Valkyrie
Insanity
Saint
Heat
Escape

The Scorpius might make sense for throwing into headwinds, but other than that I wouldn't bag it

I guess it depends if you want to stretch every foot out of a drive, or if you want accurate distance. A Tern or Shryke will provide absolute max distance for noodle arms. However, it won't generally be consistent. I actually agree with a lot of the prior responses urging to go with slower discs. There are a lot of good speed 9 discs out there that will provide almost all the distance of a flippy faster disc.

So, accuracy be damned = Tern.
Accuracy/consistency = Sidewinder, Heat, ETC.

My measured max distance is 360' with a Renegade. I'd suggest that mold for accuracy be damned, absolute max distance. But, I don't bag it and never will, just like a lot of other high speed, flippy discs.

I've settled on a Pro Wraith to get a good balance of distance and consistency, for me it flies right about where you are throwing. I don't get it up to speed really, but I discovered that it has the sweet spot for getting to a good spot with consistency. For headwinds I find a Star Wraith to do the same.

If it is calm/tailwind, an Opto Maul can get as far as the Wraith for me with a slow and smooth pull. I think the Maul is a great disc to try. If you overthrow it or release with anhyzer, you probably won't dig it too much, but if you can get it up to speed and let the disc work, it glides for a long time.

Latest posts