• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driver similar to roc

laflesh

I've been throwing my Roc for a little over a week now. I love the feel of it and the control and grip it gives me. Is there a fairway driver that is similar in feel that may give me more distance but similar grip and accuracy?

Work on throwing your roc to your current "fairway" distances. There is not a driver that flies like a roc.

How does your Roc fly for you and how far about are you throwing it?

How does your Roc fly for you and how far about are you throwing it?

I did some distance throwing the other day and am only putting my leopard, gazelle and eagle out about 200-225 feet. I'd guess I put my Roc out to around 175-200 feet, but it seems to be with much less effort. It just feels natural in my hand. I throw LHBH. As for flight patterns, I can get the Roc to fly low and straight, hyzer or fly in an S shape pattern. I can also throw some anhyzers with it. I played a round using the roc for probably 80% of my shots the other day and had my best round ever. I guess I was mostly just looking for a driver I could maybe get similar work out of that had similar grip.

exactly what he said play with just your roc and putter you will become a better player much faster

Keep doing that.

Yeah, at 200'-225', might just want to keep using your Roc and throw your putter on some drives. Work that up to at least 250' by throwing smooth and consider trying to keep working the Roc up to about 300'

I was going to say a Teebird if I just looked at discs but it will just be a big hyzer for you at that distance OR you will start putting some OAT on it to keep it straight.

If you are only throwing the Roc 175-200 I suggest keep developing your throw until you get the Roc out to +/- 300 (yes it's possible). but I also stand behind the Gazelle and Cyclone suggestions.

I think that a Stalker (rim wise) feels similar to a roc. The most midrange feeling driver I have thrown.

Keep doing that.

This is highly dependent on how long the course is he's playing, though. If he's playing a course that averages 225' holes, for sure keep up with the mid ranges. But if you is wanting to play a longer course, maybe it wouldn't hurt to suggest a distance driver, as long as you aren't throwing a lot of OAT. Maybe give a DX sidewinder a run-167g's or so.

I think that a Stalker (rim wise) feels similar to a roc. The most midrange feeling driver I have thrown.

I agree with this. I started using leopards, cyclones, XL's, JLS, and an avenger SS for my RHBH shots (primarily drive RHFH) and could only get them 200 feet. Took everyones advice on here and threw a comet for all my BH shots and started getting that about 250-275. After i got comfortable with my comet I tried a stalker and it felt the same as a mid range for me but flies like a driver. I can consistently drive the stalker 275-300 now. My RHBH is starting to beat out my RHFH now. I love my comet/stalker combo for BH drives.

Another disc that works well and especially for the distance you are throwing is a Discraft Impact. It feels like a cross between a midrange and driver.

But I also agree with everyone here and wait to move up to a driver until your are consistently throwing your midrange atleast 250 feet. It has improved my game more than anything else.

Distance will come with time. The Roc is a great disc to learn with, so I'd suggest throwing that most of the time off the tee. You'll also notice that the Roc will handle headwinds much better than your Sharks.

I can get my Roc's or similar mids close to 300' if I rip them with a power grip, but rarely throw my mids with a power grip off the tee. Out of all the drivers I've had in my hands, I'd say the Cyclone from Discraft has the closest feeling to a Roc in hand.

Latest posts