• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving from both sides

PRkilla

Bogey Member
Is is common to throw from both sides? I'm a righty but prefer to drive with my left, but when needed I can throw with my right..not yet as powerful as throwing with my left..20 to 30 yards difference. I also throw my mid-range from both sides. I putt with my right always.

It's okay to throw from both sides during play? Or do you have to stick with one side?

I throw both just as you mentioned...and even have a short range left FH I can hit chains with when in trouble. Its valuable, although it can set you back a bit learning. I throw LHBH and RHBh, and not very good RHFH...but want to be. They are nice to have IMO, helps me a ton in certain situations.

I've heard a few different righties with baseball backgrounds that prefer throwing backhand lefty because it's a very familiar body motion compared to a right handed baseball swing.

I've heard a few different righties with baseball backgrounds that prefer throwing backhand lefty because it's a very familiar body motion compared to a right handed baseball swing.

... Due to injury I needed to switch from RHBH to LHBH, and exactly as you mentioned, it felt more natural and now the majority is done LHBH ...

It's okay to throw from both sides during play? Or do you have to stick with one side?

There's no rule against throwing with different hands. As long as your stance and follow through are within the rules, it's completely legal.

A lot of people are much more dominant with one hand or the other, which is why you don't see a lot of "switch throwers". If you feel comfortable throwing with both hands, more power to you! I'd love to have that versatility.

Cool.

Yes..I must get this from my baseball playing day as well as my tennis. I was a tennis teaching pro for 16 years...currently out of it due to a foot injury.

I've tried throwing sidearm style a few time but not sure if I'll play discgolf that way..I don't see the reason. I like backhand style.

There's no rule against throwing with different hands. As long as your stance and follow through are within the rules, it's completely legal.

A lot of people are much more dominant with one hand or the other, which is why you don't see a lot of "switch throwers". If you feel comfortable throwing with both hands, more power to you! I'd love to have that versatility.

Okay, great to know that info! Thanks.

I throw both just as you mentioned...and even have a short range left FH I can hit chains with when in trouble. Its valuable, although it can set you back a bit learning. I throw LHBH and RHBh, and not very good RHFH...but want to be. They are nice to have IMO, helps me a ton in certain situations.

Cool! Yes I see it being valuable for sure.

I used my RHBH the other day so I could avoid many trees & a pond..threw it to the right which went outta bounds, then curved left for me near the basket. I then got my first birdie! It was an amazing shot, felt amazing!

Cool! Yes I see it being valuable for sure.

I used my RHBH the other day so I could avoid many trees & a pond..threw it to the right which went outta bounds, then curved left for me near the basket. I then got my first birdie! It was an amazing shot, felt amazing!

There are many many times i've opted for a LHBH where some are doing sky annies, simply because there was OB and I try my best to play smart. There are times when a tight tunnel is too much of a mind game for my LHBH still, where I can't hit a clean straight line as often as my right...so I opt to throw RHBH depending on the hole placement. If it ends right I may still go RHBH with a tight tunnel shot. But confidence and practice of course could correct that, I just don't put enough practice time into it I guess.

Is is common to throw from both sides? I'm a righty but prefer to drive with my left, but when needed I can throw with my right..not yet as powerful as throwing with my left..20 to 30 yards difference. I also throw my mid-range from both sides. I putt with my right always.

It is not a common thing. It's fairly easy to learn but many people just give up after a few attempts. Personally I have never met a more balanced ambidextrous disc golfer ever than myself but I'm sure a few of them are out there. Overall ambidextrous disc golfers with a rating over 965 are a rare find.

Here's a video of my local course.

https://youtu.be/Vn4vhU2PDTM

Last edited:
I am always impressed by ambidextrous disc golfers. Particularly Vince at Legacy Trails. He played a few holes with my group RHBH then he says "oh yeah this is a left hand back hand roller" and parks his LHBH roller on the first try. Very nice!

I am always impressed by ambidextrous disc golfers. Particularly Vince at Legacy Trails. He played a few holes with my group RHBH then he says "oh yeah this is a left hand back hand roller" and parks his LHBH roller on the first try. Very nice!

Yup, my jaw dropped on that one - great throw.

Sadly, my left hand is retarded:doh:

Even though I'm just starting out. I've noticed my LH throws are better then my RH throws. I am ambidextrous when it comes to throwing though, with my LH being better then my RH. My RH drives tend to come out wobbly and about 50ft shorter then my LF drives.

Throwing sidearm is something I haven't figured out yet with these. It comes out way wobbly and way short. Not really sure how to grip these to get them to fly straight and long. I have a feeling that I could drive longer if i could get it figured out.

I've never tried a left hand drive, can't imagine positive results after many years of playing right handed...I wish I would have thought about developing it early, but as someone who has played a long time it seems like a lot of effort for a small percentage of shots. Still, jealous I can't do it and serious respect to those who can.

I'm right-handed; I throw LHBH but RHFH. I assume that I could teach myself RHBH, but my LHBH has so much room for improvement that I haven't worked on it. Would be nice to have two different fade directions for sure.

It is not a common thing. It's fairly easy to learn but many people just give up after a few attempts. Personally I have never met a more balanced ambidextrous disc golfer ever than myself but I'm sure a few of them are out there. Overall ambidextrous disc golfers with a rating over 965 are a rare find.

Here's a video of my local course.

https://youtu.be/Vn4vhU2PDTM

Goddamn, i don't know which i'm more jealous off, the ridiculous amount of baskets you have at a 9 hole course or that crazily buttery smooth offhand drive. Oh to have a LHBH like that!

Baseball background?

I threw left handed for a while with the rotator cuff injury. I also played trombone left handed for two years while it healed. Uh, the rotator cuff healed, not the trombone.

I didn't know or have any technique at the time. I just kept the left arm straight and relaxed and tried to throw in a wide arc like a golf swing. It actually worked fairly well.

I threw left handed for a while with the rotator cuff injury. I also played trombone left handed for two years while it healed. Uh, the rotator cuff healed, not the trombone.

I didn't know or have any technique at the time. I just kept the left arm straight and relaxed and tried to throw in a wide arc like a golf swing. It actually worked fairly well.

I'm sorry to hear the trombone is still suffering. Good luck.