• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Driving Putter in Premium plastic

kevdiv48

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
My home is course is pretty short, so I used putters to drive a lot. Problem is, they get dinged up, warped and tacoed in a relatively short period of time.
Anybody have a recommendation for a putter that would be good in premium plastic, that would also be tacky and grippy? I have experience throwing aviars, wizards, warlocks, challengers, foci, and a few others along the same vein. I liked them all about the same, so no real preference.

I love using aviars off the tee, but only in dx plastic. A star aviar is just too slick and doesn't have the same glide.

my favorite is the the cryztal flx challenger from 2007 but they can be pricey and hard to find. a regular flx challenger has a nice grippy feel and good stability for driving. the flx plastic never really gets dinged up and it takes a while for it to lose any stability. cryztal challengers can be great drivers also but some are slicker than others. the tackier ones are nice. ions are great driving putters but newer runs might not have that grippy feel you are looking for. i havent thrown them but champ rhynos are overstable and durable.

my favorite is the the cryztal flx challenger from 2007 but they can be pricey and hard to find. a regular flx challenger has a nice grippy feel and good stability for driving. the flx plastic never really gets dinged up and it takes a while for it to lose any stability. cryztal challengers can be great drivers also but some are slicker than others. the tackier ones are nice. ions are great driving putters but newer runs might not have that grippy feel you are looking for. i havent thrown them but champ rhynos are overstable and durable.

This I don't like the FLX plastic but the cryztal is grippier than normal Z and it seems to get tackier as it beets in some.

Wait why am I telling you this?

Nevermind they suck donkey balls! You say away form my crappy crappy disc! ;)

Another vote for a Soft Anode. It's my favorite putter to throw. Use it off the tee, and for most all upshots inside 250'.

Thanks for the input, I've been looking around and thought that both flx and cryztal challengers would fit the bill nicely.

I really like the FLX Challenger as well, it's a really good driving putter. It's no Anode or Wizard though.

Every one of the putters you mentioned has a premium plastic variant. I'm a Wizard thrower so for gummy and (slightly) tacky, I would say look for a blue Evo HPP Wizard. They get floppy fairly quickly, but they drop immediately when they hit something instead of deflecting into the woods.

Now that I've given an answer, I'll throw in my two cents. Why not just work your regular plastic putter back into shape and keep throwing it? Baseline plastic will bend fairly easily, but it has an internal memory and will return to its original shape with a little effort. If you're opposed to doing that, I would recommend one of the reruns of G9 Wizards that are out right now. They're pretty firm, beefy like they should be, and you'll more than likely crack one before you'll taco it. Email Gateway and buy a stack of five or ten before they're gone.

I really like Ions, but feel they are really touchy after throwing my Chains Aviar. I'll also agree that FLX Challengers are super nice.

As others have said, MVP makes great putters for the tee and approaches. In my experience, it is the "glidiest" premium plastic I have thrown

I now throw Cryztal FLX Magnets, but FLX Challengers work well too.

the part about the challengers is true depending on the run. the newer runs that dynamic was selling are not stable at all. older ones from the players cup and the memorial were nice and stable.

Ion or Anode depending on your stability preference. I used to drive with Wizards, and they still feel great in my hand, but they beat up quick and their premium plastic was a bit too floppy for me.