• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving Putter: Sole, or Summit?

I putt with out a bead too, but with my driving putters I go with bead. I like the vibram vp, was a SS gift last year actually, but I don't throw it off the tee as much as the ion.

I wouldn't drive without a bead to be honest, I feel like they are all understable enough to hold that anny line off an upshot, and turn and burn with much more arm behind em.

The Summit would fit the feel you are looking for. However, even for a pretty weak arm like myself, it requires a lot of hyzer to be used off the tee. Once you figure out about the angle of hyzer you need, it's pretty workable, especially for shorter turnover holes.

I would say niether would be my choice as a driver. They are too understable for driving, unless that is what you are looking for. I know a few people who like to drive with the VP. I am not insulting the sole, it is a great disc, but I did not like it for driving.

i agree 141.7% yeah i went there

Grip Line Spike. Best stable/understable driving putter ever. Brand new they are actually a little overstable but they beat into stable/understable quite nice. They go far.

I putt with Summits but I throw Ions/Anodes. I haven't really even tried driving my Summits really, I don't think Vibram makes a particular good throwing putter (haven't thrown a Sole though). I liked the Ridge the best but even it felt like throwing a boulder. But, the lack of glide and the rubber makes them great putting putters though. The Summit is an interesting shaped disc. It's low profile, slightly wider than most putters, and has a little bead but I don't really feel it. I have short fingers and it just feels much more manipulable on putts than most putters do.

If I get a chance to this weekend I'll drive my Summit(s) a bit to give you better feedback. I remember them being understable but not uncontrollably so, I'll try some good hyzer flips.

Grip Line Spike. Best stable/understable driving putter ever. Brand new they are actually a little overstable but they beat into stable/understable quite nice. They go far.

I should probably listen here, because I think you were the reason I bought a Sinus, which is money.

I putt with Summits but I throw Ions/Anodes. I haven't really even tried driving my Summits really, I don't think Vibram makes a particular good throwing putter (haven't thrown a Sole though). I liked the Ridge the best but even it felt like throwing a boulder. But, the lack of glide and the rubber makes them great putting putters though. The Summit is an interesting shaped disc. It's low profile, slightly wider than most putters, and has a little bead but I don't really feel it. I have short fingers and it just feels much more manipulable on putts than most putters do.

If I get a chance to this weekend I'll drive my Summit(s) a bit to give you better feedback. I remember them being understable but not uncontrollably so, I'll try some good hyzer flips.

Thanks BroD, I was hoping you might chime in. Keep me posted!

Try a Ridge. Beefier than a Summit, yet with the same feel. Mid level bead, between a Summit and a VP. Basically the same mold, just a trimmed off bead. A Summit has a bead, just smaller than a ridge, and in turn, way smaller than a VP. A sole will feel way different than a Summit. Think of a deeper Aviar P'nA...

The summit is fantastic. I use it as a... utility disc of sorts. When thrown on a hyzer at really low power, it will hold it on a nice easy line... on a hyzer at medium power it will flip to flat and ride straight... on anything over medium power, it will flip over and rarely come back.

I love throwing it out on a hyzer with some height at full power when I need a hard turn right... Summits are awesome.

Check out this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIe4nvlHRgc

I don't think much about my game is textbook, so I probably won't be of much help. I use the Anode, Pure and Sole for driving and a Wizard, VP and Ridge for putting. I never tried a Summit, I don't like how they feel. I wouldn't say the Pure and Sole are similar, but that is why I'll use both. Of course, I'm also throwing FH, so you should probably ignore this post. You're welcome.

The summit is fantastic. I use it as a... utility disc of sorts. When thrown on a hyzer at really low power, it will hold it on a nice easy line... on a hyzer at medium power it will flip to flat and ride straight... on anything over medium power, it will flip over and rarely come back.

This is pretty much exactly what I found out today. Definitely not as stable as a Pure but not worthless either. It kind of flies like a lid except with worse glide. Still, it floats better than the Ridges and VPs I've thrown and isn't too bad. It's nigh impossible to keep hyzer on a hard throw if you were really smooth and threw with lots of hyzer, and had a particularly "beefy" Summit, who knows. I threw a firm 175g one for the record.

This is pretty much exactly what I found out today. Definitely not as stable as a Pure but not worthless either. It kind of flies like a lid except with worse glide. Still, it floats better than the Ridges and VPs I've thrown and isn't too bad. It's nigh impossible to keep hyzer on a hard throw if you were really smooth and threw with lots of hyzer, and had a particularly "beefy" Summit, who knows. I threw a firm 175g one for the record.

I picked up a soft Summit from my local course today, and I am in love. You are right on with the lid comparison, it is super floaty for tricky get out of trouble shots. I also drove a couple holes with it, and while it isn't super glidey, it holds a great line and was just a blast to throw. Think I am going to pick up a medium.

My 174 Medium does not flip nearly as easy as my 166 Medium. I guess that makes sense...

It just fills a very specific spot in my bag that nothing else has really filled quite yet.