• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving Putters, I finally get it.

I feel like I don't have the grip down to drive with a putter. I'd love to use my Ion or Anode for this but they just feel too deep. Could someone who drives with these please explain the grip you use -- the more detail the better.

I'm thinking I really want to try a Harp or a Suspect for this.

The disc by the tree was about 325' (assuming that google maps is somewhat accurate).

byi1Ov8.jpg

Typically I'm accurate with my putters to 250'. Anything past about 260' out to 325' I am much less accurate.

I definitely struggled with deeper putters and mids for quite a while. It never felt like my fingers were digging into the disc quite right. Ions and Anodes definitely fell into that catagory - and having that rounded inner rim didn't help.

I tried all kinds of grips and now I go with a fan grip for upshots and a power grip for drives and the anodes eventually started feeling right, probably from just throwing them everyday.

It is 172g, so I dunno if your Zone is heavier.

3 grams won't make a difference. The only possibility I can think of is that you're using a Pro D Zone. Those are very different discs from the premium plastic counterparts. However, if you are using a premium plastic Zone, I think it's definitely your form. I have thrown quite a few Zones and seen even more thrown by other people, and I wouldn't call them anything less than extremely overstable.

That's not how any Zone I have ever owned flies. Zones are meathooks, and not very putterish at that. My guess is that your form is slightly off. If you like the feel of the Zone, though, you should try a Shaman (I greatly prefer it to the chief). If the Shaman doesn't fly straight for you, then it's certainly a form problem.

Or he's throwing a Pro-D Zone which are less OS.

Zones can be meathooks, but at the same time, when they're seasoned or thrown with quite a bit of power, they're not that OS.

3 grams won't make a difference. The only possibility I can think of is that you're using a Pro D Zone. Those are very different discs from the premium plastic counterparts. However, if you are using a premium plastic Zone, I think it's definitely your form. I have thrown quite a few Zones and seen even more thrown by other people, and I wouldn't call them anything less than extremely overstable.
Nope... ESP Zone. I throw it pretty well if I do say so myself. I was actually surprised because I thought it would be more overstable. This disc's plastic is different from the ESP I was used to seeing, mine seems harder and slicker than typical ESP. It almost feels like Z plastic. Still, can you explain how having off-form would cause this disc to fly straight and then fade?

4859501.png

It seems like that's how it's supposed to fly. I know I don't have perfect form but I can throw well enough. What the problem is? It's just a little approach disc.

Nope... ESP Zone. I throw it pretty well if I do say so myself. I was actually surprised because I thought it would be more overstable. This disc's plastic is different from the ESP I was used to seeing, mine seems harder and slicker than typical ESP. It almost feels like Z plastic. Still, can you explain how having off-form would cause this disc to fly straight and then fade?

4859501.png

It seems like that's how it's supposed to fly. I know I don't have perfect form but I can throw well enough. What the problem is? It's just a little approach disc.

The only people I know that can get a Zone to fly straight then fade slightly are sidearming it with a lot of visible OAT. It could be that you just got a freak, and if so, you should try another one, because I can guarantee you'll like the overstable Zones. However, I think it's more likely that you have some OAT, and that it may not be apparent to you. You could try taking a video of yourself throwing it and seeing if it comes out wobbling.

I feel like I don't have the grip down to drive with a putter. I'd love to use my Ion or Anode for this but they just feel too deep. Could someone who drives with these please explain the grip you use -- the more detail the better.

I'm thinking I really want to try a Harp or a Suspect for this.

If you can get your hands on one you should try a shield. It was the trilogy challenge putter. Overstable and the rim is not to deep. It quickly became my go to for open drives of 275' or less.

If you can get your hands on one you should try a shield. It was the trilogy challenge putter. Overstable and the rim is not to deep. It quickly became my go to for open drives of 275' or less.

+1 on this. Loving the shield currently.