• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving with a bad right leg

Jtrain

Par Member
Alright a month ago I broke my fibula bout off the boot but I still practice my sidearm driving I was wondering should I try the one step more or go for my full run up or go slow on it at first then start going faster as I go.

haha I am only 18 I am getting off it next tuesday... hopefully but I just can't stand letting my plastic go to waste during this great weather

I would do whatever the doctor says but common sense would dictate that you just kind of ease into it. I would play a few rounds or so from a standstill and see how I felt after that.

haha I am only 18 I am getting off it next tuesday... hopefully but I just can't stand letting my plastic go to waste during this great weather

Fooey on rest. Rest is for the grave. Your body will tell you when and how much you need to rest.

If there is any skill which you can practice while you rehab the injured parts then do it. Even if injured you can probably practice short forehand rollers while sitting in a chair. This skill may win you a tournament or a few down the road.

I learned my primary throwing style while rehabing from an injury. I am still using it close to 2 decades later.

Go for it, baby.

if there's no way to hurt it worse then use your pain threshold/common sense

if you could possibly undo anything take it easy

Ask your doctor/surgeon.....don't ask a bunch of golfers on the internet. :)

They'll probably tell you to let pain be your judge, but get their advice...and/or talk to your PT if you're doing that. You're young and laying down new bone fast, so as long as it wasn't a horrible break I'd imagine that whatever feels ok is probably ok. When you get older, though, bones take a lot longer to heal and you don't want to risk refracturing the break by going big too soon. Trust me on that one. lol

Ask your doctor/surgeon.....don't ask a bunch of golfers on the internet. :)

They'll probably tell you to let pain be your judge, but get their advice...and/or talk to your PT if you're doing that. You're young and laying down new bone fast, so as long as it wasn't a horrible break I'd imagine that whatever feels ok is probably ok. When you get older, though, bones take a lot longer to heal and you don't want to risk refracturing the break by going big too soon. Trust me on that one. lol

well I was told try doing what you did before your injury just don't over do it but thank goodness I didnt need surgery because I probably wouldn't be off crutches until graduation, but I guess we will have to see my next appointment I will talk to him bout disc golfing tuesday hopefully it all good.

I play with a bad right knee (Torn MCL and possible ACL) but I ALWAYS use a knee brace when playing. Do you have a brace? Or one of those ace wraps? It may be uncomfortable but the feeling you get knowing you're a little bit more secure is worth it. :p

OP. be sure you find a career that doesn't involve a lot of walking/standing. You will thank me in 15 years.

I play with a bad right knee (Torn MCL and possible ACL) but I ALWAYS use a knee brace when playing. Do you have a brace? Or one of those ace wraps? It may be uncomfortable but the feeling you get knowing you're a little bit more secure is worth it. :p

yeah man I got brace I thought bout doing that after i get off my boot. I am going to do anything that can help me play it

Just go slow.

I broke my right ankle (tib/fib, required 7 screws on the outside and 2 long screws on the inside) on 10/27/11 and played my first round of DG in March2012. I've endured a lot of physical therapy catered around the fact that I want to be able to bowl and play disc golf. Its kinda weird that I bowl left handed so I slide with my right ankle and I throw plastic RHBH so, as you know, I finish on my right ankle.

Don't be afraid to take some tylenol and make sure your Doctor is saying its ok to do these things, only after that can you then go within your tolerance.

Chris