• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Dropping" the hip?

Vorpaljesus

Eagle Member
I think I'm starting to feel the elusive hit and it seems to be since I've started doing this. Right after I plant my front foot I "drop" my front hip. This drives my plant heel down into the ground and then I start my pull through. Is this part of getting a proper weight shift or part of the toe-heel-toe thing? Am I doing it at the proper time? Is it something I should be doing at all?

It feels like this lets me get my weight over the disc and get the nose down better. Just wondering if anyone does this/ thinks of it this way instead of just getting the heel down.

Your timing sounds right. The hips will drop to shift weight onto the front heel and then you power the throw. From there though the front will rise and the rear hip will drop/hang.

http://www.flyfeldberg.com

Thanks man that was actually quite a useful video. Lolz at the dog hijacking his ball

Two great video's thanks for the post. I've seen the Feldberg one before, but the other video has some good points to it as well.

I've been working on it in the back room of the office, and I'm having quite a bit of trouble with it. It seems like I'm losing all of my rotation when trying to pop my hip. I guess it's something to work on this week, and next week, etc....

Rotational focus will often lead to a spin out. You want to shift the lower spine targetward on to the plant leg, and be able to clear the front hip back so the rear hip can come through targetward. The rotation is more a byproduct.

This is why I think Feldberg has the best form for learning how to shift forward rather than spinning around. I use his mechanics to teach concepts and adapt to a persons throw. Works really well.

This is why I think Feldberg has the best form for learning how to shift forward rather than spinning around. I use his mechanics to teach concepts and adapt to a persons throw. Works really well.

Feldbeard is the man, I try to mimic his form as much as possible. :)

completely off topic, but can anybody tell me that guy doesn't sound like Bill Murray from Caddy Shack?

He fully does sound like that lol. This straight line momentum thing is a good point. Today I was spinning hard trying to rip long shots and it totally threw me off. I think if I try to keep my rear hip as close to my front hip as possible through the throw I will have better luck. That might sound weird but what I mean is I don't want to swing my rear hip "wide" around my body? Instead more like pushing it through my front hip. If that makes sense

I've been playing for over 3 years, and I've NEVER hear of the "straight line" concept talk about like this. I knew about keeping the disc straight, but this straight body momentum is completely new. No wonder I've been sucking for all of these years. Does anybody have any tips or getting out of the rotation focused habit that I'm in and focusing on the straight line momentum that I need?

i've always focused on rotation; similar to swinging a baseball bat - at least as far as the hip placement is concerned. lately i've found it's made things a lot easier for me. my arm stays close to my chest; not as much shoulder use and things go farther with more snap.

but i guess that's wrong?

:\

i've always focused on rotation; similar to swinging a baseball bat - at least as far as the hip placement is concerned. lately i've found it's made things a lot easier for me. my arm stays close to my chest; not as much shoulder use and things go farther with more snap.

but i guess that's wrong?

:\
Not necessarily which is why I said "often"(it's like 50/50), it depends on how you think about the throw and what needs to be worked on. If someone doesn't clear the front hip(which is a rotation back) they are going to roundhouse and or jam the hip. The rear hip moves forward but also rotates forward. On the other side if the throw is all rotation and no forward movement in the hips then the weight never gets forward.

Yep, the initial run up is used to generate straight line momentum. Rotation is added on top of that momentum. If you don't clear the hip, you lose all of the momentum.

Compared to Feldberg, Schusterick and Wysocki use a different style to clear the hips which I think is easier to learn for tall, lanky body types. Essentially, they swing their left knee around and drop the weight shift onto the right foot. Kind of like a rotating lunge. At times, Schusterick's left knee comes within 6 inches of the ground before straightening at the hit. His left foot stays on the ground and drags to the right where as Feldberg kicks his back and to the right.