• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Dumb@ass Question #2 - 1 Disc to Judge my Throw

PBokor

Eagle Member
As I start my 3rd month of DG, I am looking for a disc with which to judge the consistency of my throws rather than a particular disc's characteristics. I have a noodle arm, but decent accuracy.

In a perfect world, this imaginary disc would be:

1 - Very durable, so 'seasoning' is delayed as long as possible.

2 - Very neutral, so the disc goes exactly where I direct it, good bad or indifferent.

3 - Slow as possible with as much glide as possible. No fade or turn. See #2.

My current bag is all Innova and all DX, but I would really like a single disc from any vendor that can fulfill most of the above requirements. I am even willing to spend more than $7.00 ;)

Suggestions? TIA.

If you're looking for a good disc for form building get a Nova. It's never going to get you big distance but it will really clean up your form. It will do whatever the release angle is and hold it the entire way. If it's released flat and clean it's dead straight. The Mako3 is also a good disc but it's a little more stable than the Nova so it will not always show if you released it on a slight anhyzer when the Nova would.

After you get good results from the Nova a good driver to help with nose angle is the River. If you release it nose up it will not act right and will dump quick and hard on you. If it's released flat with the nose down it glides forever and goes straight.

Exactly. Get yourself a Z Comet in the 175g range. It will become an absolute workhorse of your game for years to come. Then, feel free to discover other Discraft molds because they make great products. The only flaw the Comet has is that it isn't much of a FH disc. It's the ultimate BH disc especially in the woods.

InfiniteDiscs.com has Titanium Comets on sale right now and that is a great plastic if you get it in a bright (pink) color.

Comet is a solid choice but the axiom proxy is probably the straightest disc out there. Plus it can handle some power where others would turn over even on great form.

I've never thrown one but I'm still going to suggest the Comet. It seems like everyone who has thrown them says they are the best disc for fixing your form.

Champion Mako3. Opto Fuse. Z Comet. Proxy. Nova*. Opto Pure.

Any of the above would be perfect. First three listed or mids, last three are putters.

Nova has the star because of the grippy overmold. For some people it can cause release issue, almost sticking to the hand upon release, causing small grip lock problems. But many people LOVE the disc.

If I had to pick one of the six from my list for you, it would be the Axiom Proxy.

Another vote for Comet, if the Z Comet is too stable try a X Comet.

As I start my 3rd month of DG, I am looking for a disc with which to judge the consistency of my throws rather than a particular disc's characteristics. I have a noodle arm, but decent accuracy.

In a perfect world, this imaginary disc would be:

1 - Very durable, so 'seasoning' is delayed as long as possible.

2 - Very neutral, so the disc goes exactly where I direct it, good bad or indifferent.

3 - Slow as possible with as much glide as possible. No fade or turn. See #2.

My current bag is all Innova and all DX, but I would really like a single disc from any vendor that can fulfill most of the above requirements. I am even willing to spend more than $7.00 ;)

Suggestions? TIA.

FYI, criterion 1 and criteria 2 and especially 3 are at some conflict with each other. As a general rule of thumb discs in base plastic are going to out glide discs in denser, premium plastic. So the X Comet is the de facto "form diagnosis" choice of many and for good reason, has glide and neutrality in spades and will do anything you want it to do if you throw it right. A Z Comet will mostly do all of this too b/c it's still a Comet but compared to X Comets they will seem less touchy and glidey. So I guess try a Z Comet as a "Comet with training wheels" and graduate to a X Comet for throwing on a harder difficulty setting.

The Fuse is a good choice too as are many others.

I've got an ESP comet at home that is very, very flippy for me. I haven't thrown any other comets, but my ESP is pretty comparable to my really beat 172 champion mako3 if that helps any

What about ESP Comets? Seems they would fall between X and Z plastics.

Another good option. Every ESP Comet I've seen has been really flat so they don't have that classic super glide of Z Comets.

Z Comet. Then get an x, but really you'll never need anything other than a z unless you specifically need something to beat into very understable.

The few Esp I've thrown had more high speed turn than x and z imo. Could be some weirdos.