• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Durable Judge Driver

J Pugh

I recently bought a classic soft judge as a putter, but I tried driving it and it was a dream. I really want another Judge to use exclusively for tee shots so I don't tear up my soft one (any more). I have seen a couple other Judges in different plastics, and the mold looks different, and I want it to fly exactly the same. I am hoping someone here who knows Judges really well can recommend a plastic type for me that will fly like my soft Judge but be very durable.

Thanks.

I have a misprint dye max fuzion that flies like a dream. I still bag my beat up soft for turn over off the tee but my fuzion is dead nuts straight

The molds are the same but the same disc in base plastic isn't going to fly the exact same when you move to a premium plastic. You just have to find one that feels good to you and work with it and break it in with practice. I suggest you go with lucid because it's the flatter option and closer to a classic soft than the others.

I started with softs, but they beat in quick so I got a Dyemax Fuzion misprint for $10 and goddamn is it amazing! Also, I found the blend/mediums to have a higher shoulder than softs, but after a while they beat in some and shoulder drops a smidgen and it feels right(took forever though). Once that happened I could putt with it as well as upshot with it and now I can't do without it.

I'll also recommend a DyeMax fuzion. After a little working in, it'll fly like a dream.

Awesome, thanks for all the help. Is dyemax fuzion different than regular fuzion? I thought dyemax was just a custom stamp. Everyone is saying the dyemax fuzion is great, but SteezeOG says that the Lucid is most like the classic soft, so now I dont know.

Awesome, thanks for all the help. Is dyemax fuzion different than regular fuzion? I thought dyemax was just a custom stamp. Everyone is saying the dyemax fuzion is great, but SteezeOG says that the Lucid is most like the classic soft, so now I dont know.

I haven't thrown a Lucid, so I can't really comment on that. Steeze knows his Dynamic stuff, though, so you can trust him.

As for fuzion vs. dyemax fuzion, I've noticed that the stamp does change the stability a bit.

Every regular fuzion I've seen, including the GBO stamped discs, molded up with more dome and flew less stable.

Every regular fuzion I've seen, including the GBO stamped discs, molded up with more dome and flew less stable.
I have tried a Lucid Judge and it is fairly domey and flew way less stable than my used classic soft. I was disapointed and gave it to my friend. I don't know about the Fuzion version, I gave my friend a trilogy stamped one as a present some time ago. But he didn't give me a flight report yet.
So I'm back to the classic soft and I think it beats up less than you think. It looks bad sometimes but doesn't change a lot in flight characteristics.

I only mean that compared to the fuzion the lucid is a flatter top so closer in how it feels in the hand to the classic soft. You're just not going to find something identical when you move from a soft base plastic to a premium. It's something best to feel before you buy if you can. I personally use the classic and classic blend and only use a soft when it's really cold out. I have several dyemax fuzion, gbo 2013 fuzion, and the production fuzion. As well as several of the lucid. They're all slightly different but very similar too. If the small differences are going to be something you don't want I'd say get a couple more softs and just cycle them. Keep your putting putters for that only and find ones you only use for throwing.

For me though I like the premium ones for upshots and driving and with just a little practice and getting familiar you can learn to do what you want with them. They do wear a lot slower. I've been using the same dyemax fuzion for over a year now and it's still great. Just a little less fade. I find both the dyemax fuzion and lucid to be a little more overstable but not everyone is the same.

I ditched my DyeMax LL Fuzion for a Lucid. Might be because I wanted a Highlighter Yellow driving disc, or might be because the Lucid was more overstable for me. Either way, kind of have to 'respect' the distance potential of the premium plastic putters.. They glide like crazy, and slide/skip further than the Classics/Softs, so if you want to lay up you have to be careful not to fly/slide past the basket.

I ditched my DyeMax LL Fuzion for a Lucid. Might be because I wanted a Highlighter Yellow driving disc, or might be because the Lucid was more overstable for me. Either way, kind of have to 'respect' the distance potential of the premium plastic putters.. They glide like crazy, and slide/skip further than the Classics/Softs, so if you want to lay up you have to be careful not to fly/slide past the basket.

That's what I get out of my Lucid Judges. I can get some mad distance with them. I use my classic softs for upshots just because of the insane amounts of glide the Lucid plastic has

So I'm back to the classic soft and I think it beats up less than you think. It looks bad sometimes but doesn't change a lot in flight characteristics.

This may be the case. I notice the plastic is getting deformed from smacking trees off the tee, and maybe I think it's turning over more and more just because I am trying to use it for longer and longer shots. I'll keep using it for a while and try to take note of how hard I'm throwing it, and try to keep it away from trees. I wish I could just go put my hands on all these discs and check them out, but the only local retailer that I know of is play it again and they just don't have the inventory. So what about the classic vs the soft? Would it fly the same and would it be more or less durable? It seems like the soft would tear up easier but also absorb impacts that would bend the regular classic...

I'm not really a new player, but I am only recently making progress in what I would call leaps and bounds as far as learning goes. I am learning a whole lot from just playing often and watching better players. The most recent thing I have picked up is putter driving. The first few times I tried it were with my star aviar a while back and I just couldn't do it. I eventually got rid of that disc because I hated everything about it, I swear it was three inches tall. I remember a year ago at the course I frequent, my friends and I trying to size up a 300ft downhill shot and trying to figure out a flight path through all the trees because naturally we are throwing our longest fastest drivers, and this guy playing solo plays through us and throws his putter like a laser right next to the basket like it was nothing, and our jaws all dropped, it was impossible what he did. Two days ago I threw the exact same shot with the Judge.

I don't think I'm good enough at controlling my speed and hyzer right now to really be throwing a putter with consistency more than 200ish ft level or for those long downhill straight shots. Now that I'm really thinking about it, what is probably my problem is not having a good midrange. I have a mako3 that was great for about a day, now it's pretty much a roller, so it stays in the bag. I need something to bridge the gap between 175ft with the Judge and 275ish ft with the teebird that will be stable at those speeds. I thought I really liked the mako, it's my second one, but the way the Judge feels in my hand I think has a lot to do with why I like it so much, it feels like I have surgical accuracy, and trying to pick the mako up after that just feels all wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys, if I ever get the chance to throw a Judge in another plastic I will definitely do so!

For me the wear on classic and classic soft doesn't look the same but reacts the same. The classic will get visibly dinged up after almost no time but real change in stability, unless you take a major impact, is slower to happen. Same with the soft it just doesn't look as beat up so quick because it does take the impact different. I hear people say they hit a tree and a putter is ruined all the time. I've thrown a judge into a rock building from feet away on purpose and it's still my favorite putter and has over a year of good use. Sure it's straighter in flight but it's perfect. If you like the mold branch out into other plastics as you can afford it. I think you'll find it's worth the money and I've never seen a problem reselling a judge. People use and enjoy them. Just don't ink something until you've decided it's a keeper.

I need to post pictures of the classic soft I use for upshots and turnovers. It has a spot where the shoulder is significantly taller from a really really hard tree hit and a dent from where my thumb rests and it is the best/most consistent disc in my bag. If I could throw that thing for every single shot I would.